Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th April 2010, 15:50   #1
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Default My Rover 75 LWB

An ebay buy, spur of the moment.

Anyway I picked up the old girl on Thursday, as stated in the ebay auction the owner suspected a head gasket gone and I was preparing myself for the worse. He stated that the car has lost coolant and overheated so took some OAT with me to top it up with about a litre of coolant.

Deffo FAN does not work at all, which may have been the overheating issue, no water in the V so not loosing from thermostat.

No oil in coolant as far as I can see, and a small amount of gunge on the oil filler cap and the top of the oil filler tank but dipstick is nice and oily, so I don't think it has HGF.

Any way drove the 200 miles from Sunderland to Peterborough Thursday night, with diags enabled most of the time the temp sat around 95-98 degrees, a few times climbed to 100-105 and once to about 112, but then came back down again as I dropped speed. after about 150 miles topped up with another 1/2 litre after letting it cool down. So need to invest in a replacement fan and find where coolants going.

Gave it a clean today and saw that the Council - ex Mayors car, who owned it did not take great care of it body wise, scratches, swirls and paint chips on doors, wings you name it. Also looks like drivers side rear quarter has been resprayed as orange peel paint can be seen and both McNellie back doors has some surface rust near the bottom that will need sorted.

Should say it's got LPG which was very economical coming down. SATNAV was not locating exact position but just a loose connector, auto gear box seems sweet, and it's done 67K.

A few pics later.

Stubs

Last edited by STUBIE; 28th September 2010 at 11:35..
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 15:55   #2
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Very nice mate. Cant wait to see that. What colour and trim?
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 16:26   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

sounds a nice car

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 18:54   #4
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Very nice mate. Cant wait to see that. What colour and trim?
Its scratchy raven black with beige leather.

Stubs
Old 18th April 2010, 19:46   #5
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Some pics, these are the better ones, looks okay from a distance on these ones but as stated paint is scratched and swirly. Will try to give it a machine polish in the near future.

Nice rear space

Front drivers seat worn in the usual area but passenger in good nic

Sat Nav was not working when I drove it back said I was in Helensburgh in Scotland, only the GPS connector into the back of the CD unit had come loose, easy fix. LPG button make a differnce to the mpg I can tell you.

Now that bad rust area's on the Mcnellie doors, although these could have been resprayed, right down at the bottom lip, same on the other side.

Drivers door/passenger door not very well touched up.

Lastly rear quarter area drivers side orange peel paint, bad spray job.

So a few bits and pieces to get the old girl looking her best again, thing is am I up for it? Will bring it along to the Peterborough BMC/BL day but won't venture far until cooling sorted.

Stubs

Last edited by STUBIE; 18th April 2010 at 19:49..
Old 18th April 2010, 20:13   #6
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

nothing that cant be sorted

i hate to say it, but it sounds exactly like what happened to me. picked car up, seemed fine, and had to drive it 60 or so miles home. a couple of times the temp gauge rose up and settled back down when i dropped my speed as with yours. on a 20 mile run, i had to put around a litre in, and it steadily got worse until it needed a litre every 5 mile and regularly got warm so i had to stop driving it. eventually diagnosed as hgf.
when the engines warm, check coolant pipes for over-pressurising and get a block test done. the block test checks the coolant for exhaust gases. it isnt always 100% accurate, but it is a good indication.
as for coolant in oil / oil in coolant, there was no evidence of either in mine. i do hope im wrong about it though
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 20:19   #7
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

The temp gauge stuck on 9 all the way did not go above, I could see the temp rising up and down on the on board diag display.

I've just topped it up with coolant to just between Min and Max, had a 10 min drive with diag displayed, coolant temp went up and leveled 93-94 degrees, sat on the drive ticking over for 5 mins again no change.

Stubs
Old 18th April 2010, 20:23   #8
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUBIE View Post
The temp gauge stuck on 9 all the way did not go above, I could see the temp rising up and down on the on board diag display.

I've just topped it up with coolant to just between Min and Max, had a 10 min drive with diag displayed, coolant temp went up and leveled 93-94 degrees, sat on the drive ticking over for 5 mins again no change.

Stubs
may just be as simple as an air lock, certainly sounds that way. you need to save as much money as poss now so you can have someone drive you about that or the wife
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 20:28   #9
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

If there are no obvious signs of leak and you are still loosing coolant then you may want to think about kseal
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 11:26   #10
simdel1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi, Porsche 944 Lux, MGF

I look forward to seeing it around Peterborough!

The Simdel1 Fleet:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/447/sigmgf.png
simdel1 is offline   Reply With Quote