Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 26th February 2007, 21:03   #21
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

You do realise Rich that, that is where we started on this quest 8 months ago and got nowhere.
You have pretty much repeated the request apart from at that time we had the Xpart representative to deal with directly.
Furthermore, we do not have 150 members ready to purchase these items. There are 125 names on the list for 143 sets. Many of these will have sold their cars, are no longer interested, may not want to pay the price when they come on stream or have simply changed their minds.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 26th February 2007 at 21:09..
Old 26th February 2007, 21:08   #22
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
that is where we started on this quest 8 months ago
Yup, it was just a vain attempt on the off chance someone different is working in the department now

Quote:
at that time we had the Xpart representative to deal with directly.
Wasn't Ian Spencer was it
Old 26th February 2007, 21:38   #23
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

it was Ben Charity XPart Product Manager that first started talking with us on .org.
Old 27th February 2007, 20:03   #24
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Quote:
You do realise Rich that, that is where we started on this quest 8 months ago and got nowhere.
You have pretty much repeated the request apart from at that time we had the Xpart representative to deal with directly.
Furthermore, we do not have 150 members ready to purchase these items. There are 125 names on the list for 143 sets. Many of these will have sold their cars, are no longer interested, may not want to pay the price when they come on stream or have simply changed their minds.

then surely isnt it now the time to revisit the list (club has the power to email them) and seek whether people are prepared to put money where there mouth is to create purchasing power in the hands of a reputable club? Say 100 viable x £20 is a couple of thousand that I cant imagine a company is going to be sniffy about. Its not a particularly complicated moulding and we know how easy they are to procure as a specimen...??

just a thought...
Old 27th February 2007, 20:35   #25
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
then surely isnt it now the time to revisit the list (club has the power to email them) and seek whether people are prepared to put money where there mouth is to create purchasing power in the hands of a reputable club? Say 100 viable x £20 is a couple of thousand that I cant imagine a company is going to be sniffy about. Its not a particularly complicated moulding and we know how easy they are to procure as a specimen...??

just a thought...
Thanks for the thought.
Old 27th February 2007, 20:45   #26
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

More work for you with nothing to do 'ay MM?
Old 27th February 2007, 20:46   #27
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
More work for you with nothing to do ay MM?
Old 1st March 2007, 06:51   #28
welly
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Auto Conn. SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post

just a thought...
Having had some experience in Injection Moulding the tooling alone would be around the £5k mark. An alternative would be to have an insert made that would fit inside an existing mould tool, possibly for as little as (a guess here) £5-600, but that require the owner of the tool to allow its use.

Please think about paying a subscription to the club.
Its only £3 afterall. Click the Paypal button at the top of the page.!!
Old 1st March 2007, 07:40   #29
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Wonder where the original Mould has ended up?
Anyone bought it as rare on EBay?
Old 1st March 2007, 09:56   #30
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quotes from Xpart representative:-

Quote:
The story so far....

...we have contacted the people who used to make this kit for us. The tool has been packed away but we believe it still exists.

At the moment they want us to order a minimum of 5,000 sets at £32.50 each. Our overheads for getting a part into stock, storing it, administration and then shipping it out are 23% on average, meaning I would have to sell these at £42.20 to Premier who despatch all web orders. They would expect to make 20% which now takes the retail to £52.76 (plus VAT = £61.99).
Quote:
Personnally that makes me think we will struggle to sell to all of you guys let alone any one else who just quite likes their 75/ZT.

The reason we have been quoted for needing to buy 5,000 is that they have to print 5,000 of the fitting instructions. Fitting by the way looks pretty obvious, so at the moment we have gone back to them and asked whether we can have alot less sets if we forget about the instructions.

We have yet to hear back from them, but you can see why we don't currently have any in stock when suppliers expect us to take on unreasonable quantities for an unknown demand.

Thanks,
Ben Charity
XPart Product Manager
Quote:
At the Moment our MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity) is still at 5,000 sets, so whilst the 56 requests on here are a fantastic start, I still need to get the MOQ down to around 500 or less before I dared order them.

We are asking the questions of the supplier as to whether we can have less if we make do without the instructions, without the box and without the little cleaning cloth that you are supposed to clean the area with.

They think they have the mould that makes them, but still have not found it yet. £32.50 was the cost price to XPart for an MOQ of 5,000 and normally when you ask for less that goes up, but seeing as we are suggesting going without the instructions etc.. here's hoping that cost comes down.

Thanks,
Ben Charity
XPart Product Manager
Quote:
The last quote to us was £30.50 and that is for 300 sets, 75 sets in 4 boxes.

The parts will all be loose in the 4 boxes seperated by protective material, but the sticky backing is not even included.

As a bare minimum I am still going to have to source the sticky backing and get them all put 4 in a box, in protective packaging.

XPart Cost £32.50
XPart Net to Premier minimum based on 23% overheads = £42.21
Retail from Premier at 15% margin for Premier= £49.66
Shop Retail Inc VAT = £58.35

And this is without factoring in how much it is going to cost me to get them into their own boxes, the cost of said boxes and the cost of the sticky backing. These questions are still being asked.

Just thought I'd keep you updated.

Ben Charity
XPart Product Manager
Quote:
The latest news is that I am currently asking around other suppliers to see if I can get these made cheaper elsewhere.

If we use the current supplier we are looking at £70 retail by the time I have got the sticky backing on and got them all boxed up.

Thanks,
Ben Charity
XPart Product Manager
That was the last post on the Dark Side (2/6/2006) from Xpart on the subject and are notable only by their lack of communication.
If you wish to take up the cudgel with them, then go ahead and the best of luck locating the original manufacturer and the tooling. Xpart have failed and they allegedly know who the manufacturer was.

In the mean time one of our members has sourced a supplier and a prototype sample has been forthcoming. There are still some details to clear up but we are hoping that we will have some news in the near future. It may not be the news you all want to hear but that remains to be seen.
Closed Thread