Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2007, 19:56   #1
jbswagger

None at the moment

Default Getting a 75

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a 75 so wanted to pick your brains about which one exactly to get.

I have a budget of around £5k. I want all the toys so if I'm right a connoisseur Se is the one to go for? It has to be a Mk1 as I don't like the face lift but I'm not sure whether to go for 2.5 V6 or a CDTi?

I don't do a great amount of miles and work miles are paid for so economy isn't my no1 priority however this could change.

Basically what engine do you suggest and is connoisseur Se the level to go within my budget?

Thanks
jbswagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:05   #2
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Hi and welcome,
If economy isn't an issue I'd go petrol cos you will get more car and less miles for you money. One thing to bear in mind on the petrol is a very expensive cambelt change as opposed to the chain driven diesel. Connoisseur SE is the top of the range,.
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:07   #3
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

mk1 good choice for quality; the way fuel prices are going, stick with the diesel as RoverRon (see ad above) makes them rather good fun. And yes, there's enough around to stick with the Conn SE if you can find one with fastidious history. Miles dont matter - prices ridiculously low over 120k miles so wont depreciate further - as long as they have the service/replacement bits to show for it!
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:56   #4
Simon
Banned

-

Even with the SE spec there are added option packs to watch out for or special edition interior/exterior finishes that add to the car. It pays to hunt around and drive as many as you can, both petrol and diesel. Get a feel for how they both drive and which one you prefer.

Many people have asked your question on here before so have a search around and look through as many threads as you can. That way you'll be fully clued-up when you go to look at these cars and can spot potential problems as well as potential bargains.

Happy hunting and don't forget we're always here, so any questions - just ask!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 08:20   #5
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

For your budget, I would say that the world is your oyster. I notice that there are many V6s locally coming onto the market in excellent condition, with I think their former owners not wishing to splash out on having the cam belts done, but good cars in all other respects. We have made some enquiries with some of those on sale locally and that has been the case with all those we have seen.

Having owned a diesel for 2 1/2 years, I would say that it does everything I wish it to do and with a Ron box can be almost as good as a petrol performance wise. We get 45-50 mpg on a long run and its comfy as hell.
Go for the highest spec and best history you can find. Personally, I would go for the oiler. The BMW diesel is supposedly bullet proof if looked after.

So far in, we have not had any reliability issues other than an ABS sensor, due to the wire rubbing through on the N/S drive shaft where it had come adrift from the suspension strut. As mentioned, this question has many previous comments so have a good look through the site.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 20:45   #6
jbswagger

None at the moment

Thanks for the advice.

What sort of economy could I expect from a 2.5 V6?
jbswagger is offline   Reply With Quote