Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th September 2019, 15:34   #1
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Default Had the Tourer all wheel aligned today

I had two new tyres fitted to the rear today, and going down Cornwall in a couple of weeks, so making sure all it tickety boo!

I had two brand front tyres in July and Today had my two rears changed, so i thought Check the tracking otherwise with several hundred Miles to Cornwall and back theres might be edge rip along the way. I did think about going in the XJ, But i have to say it i feel at home in the 75, So im going in that.

Anyway cut along story short, checked it and my tracking was off the scales OUT!!!!! AAAAAHHHGGHH.

i WOULD HAVE RIPPED ALL 4 tyres to shreds by the time i got back, so £70 smackers later all aligned. I was under the car and at first , i thought £70 pounds for tracking is extortion!. However after seeing what the guys have to do, NO its a bargain.

have you ever had to mess around with 17 year old nuts on the alignment bars on the rear ruddy horrible job and if you are lucky not to round them off ( i was today) the guy had to be king kong to get them to budge .

1 and half hours to move 6 nuts which bolt to the chassis and then switch to the fronts ( much easier) Rover was mad to design them like that, poor NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-.. Any way done now, and i can say i have noticed the difference in a straight line, the car seems to handle far superior now than before.....

I must add even when i did not know the tracking was out sometimes on a bend and there was a drain hole ( the type you can't avoid due to the bend) and i used to drive over it the car used to feel it was knocked off line, coming home today, it was sweet, costly £200 quid ( two tyres too) discount as i had the tracking, however had time to have a look underneath the car too, all looks well solid and no cill rot, rock solid...

MG Rover might have made one hell of car in the Rover 75, However this tracking system is a dog along with on your knees for an headlamp bulb change yuk!l

Last edited by Olde faithful; 20th September 2019 at 15:59..
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 18:33   #2
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Not Rovers fault it’s that stupid BMW z axle that’s the pain and was forced on the rover engineers

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2019, 02:42   #3
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

After getting wheel vibration on the M6 last year, I checked the tyres on my 2001 CDT. Shock horror! Despite plenty of tread on the front, outer edges, the inner edges were worn down to the steel webbing! Fortunately, with a bit of wire brushing and an overnight soak in WD40, and some tight-fitting spanners, both TRE's were adjusted to preserve the replacement tyres. It amazed me that the car had driven so nicely previously, and the steering wheel was in the straight ahead position. Checking the rears, which I had noticed were looking a bit thin on the outer edges, I found they still had 4mm on the insides, so decided to re-align them. Although tight, I managed to hammer an imperial socket onto the tightest, and with an extension bar, they cracked open cleanly. The others gave with less effort on the correct metric socket. I was pleasantly surprised to find no rust on the threads of any of the bolts, which I removed, each in turn, applied copperslip, and replaced, leaving 1 out on each side, the other 2 hand tight, so I could gauge how far outboard I had moved the trailing arm mounts by the bolt hole positions in the body compared to the elongated holes in the mounts. Having re-centred the steering wheel after adjusting the front wheel alignment, when I first test drove it after adjusting the rear, I was aware that the car was crabbing slightly, both by my view in the wing mirrors, but also by the steering wheel no longer being straight. Readjustment of the nearside rear took about 20 minutes this time, and this time, my guesswork proved correct. So far, all tyres appear to be wearing evenly, although the new rears have only done around 5,000miles. The car also corners with less steering input.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote