Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th October 2019, 15:46   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Its the same here Chris. Been hissing down for the last 36 hours. Was hoping to start on the silver one, but ..............ah well. Have a whisky instead.
Old 26th October 2019, 18:58   #12
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Hoping this is not the next thing to replace on my CDT, after clutch and various suspension parts. Taxed it for a long trip to visit southern rellies over half-term after 5 months off the road (The Megane soft-top has been a star for the duration, but not the quietest or comfiest motorway car!) The 75 started well, despite sluggish cranking, and I assumed the hum from the alternator would disappear within a mile or 2 once the battery had recharged. It took a good 10 miles and a blast along the by-pass before it diminished, but was still noticeable as we set off on the 350 mile first leg to Rochester. It is covered in oil, from me dropping the filter on it while changing the oil, and a minor weep from the steering pipes (strange that, eh?) However, it did the whole near-800 mile trip with no issues, including some crawling along the M11 with lights,wipers, heater and stereo all providing the calm ambience that makes it the first car our 4 month old puppy has NOT been sick in!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 20:15   #13
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Actually although my posting makes the whole thing sound an awful job, now I 've shifted the suspect bolt, the jobs fairly straightforward if a little long winded.

i've never taken the power steering off before and all the bolts were factory tight.. the access is limited and you do have to go in under the wheel arch to get at the bottom alternator bolt.

You do need a spanner. or home made tool to control the tensioner, otherwise normal tools.

As recomended from other threads I took off the top engine mount and using a jack and wood block to spread the load under the belt end of the sump you can then jack the motor up and down to get better access to all the bolts.

Just waiting for the rain to stop and will get the other alternator in . .

C

PS the marked up pic from my other thread .. re.. the power steering fixing bolts to remove 3 hold the pump on , and 3 go through to hold the steel support bracket on the rear of the pump.

Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 26th October 2019 at 20:23..
ceedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 11:56   #14
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

So power steering out the way ..

Next $%^&* bolt !! the lower rear alternator bolt, can barely see it ..

Got the offender out .. and then found out the actual bolt is an 8mm and the captive nut in the alternator is 10mm thread so never really doing much other than catch on the thread due to misalignment and make it awkward to get out ,..

just been back throught my old car hsitory and found a garage receipt for another alternator 6 months beofre i bought the car so its been like this for almost 16 years..

Chris
When I were a lad
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 27th October 2019 at 14:24..
Old 27th October 2019, 14:33   #15
ceedy
This is my second home

The replacement Alt is the same it has a steel M10 insert, that actiually does nothing.. the M8 bolt just goes through the steel threaded bush and screws into the same hole in the alloy block that the front bolt does.

Found the two bolts actually touch each other, stopping one of them from clamping .
So trimmed a couple of mm off one bolt.

All a bit naff really .

Plus every thing was so tight ,borderline thread stripping ,some right monkeys have been on the spanners.
but has lasted since 2005 when I bought the Zed

Hopefully just put it ALL back now.? and the replacement alt is OK ????

C
When I were a lad
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Old 27th October 2019, 17:32   #16
ceedy
This is my second home

Run out of light ..

All back on 98 % finished and all seems working and charging and now I've done it , would do it again this way .. reckon would take an easy day to complete, without all the minor niggles , debodging and rain

If i had a way of undoing the crank bolt I would have popped in my new pulley and belts but maybe in warmer times

C
When I were a lad
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Old 30th October 2019, 11:55   #17
ceedy
This is my second home

First chance this week ,and all back and ready to go again . ..

Def seems the best way to do an alt .. still got to remove bits to get at it but a lot easier than lying under the car method .

C.
When I were a lad
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Old 30th October 2019, 14:12   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Hoping this is not the next thing to replace on my CDT, after clutch and various suspension parts. Taxed it for a long trip to visit southern rellies over half-term after 5 months off the road (The Megane soft-top has been a star for the duration, but not the quietest or comfiest motorway car!) The 75 started well, despite sluggish cranking, and I assumed the hum from the alternator would disappear within a mile or 2 once the battery had recharged. It took a good 10 miles and a blast along the by-pass before it diminished, but was still noticeable as we set off on the 350 mile first leg to Rochester. It is covered in oil, from me dropping the filter on it while changing the oil, and a minor weep from the steering pipes (strange that, eh?) However, it did the whole near-800 mile trip with no issues, including some crawling along the M11 with lights,wipers, heater and stereo all providing the calm ambience that makes it the first car our 4 month old puppy has NOT been sick in!
Quote.--The 75 started well, despite sluggish cranking, and I assumed the hum from the alternator would disappear within a mile or 2 once the battery had recharged

That 10 minutes equates to 10 minutes on a charger.--

Your battery needs 24 HOURS on a charger. Your car WON'T charge up your battery unless you drive for 24 hours non-stop.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 22:18   #19
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Colvert, how do you get that idea? The alternator puts out 115amps max, the charger less than 5amps. Proof of the pudding. Car had 2 or 3 stops on the way south, including using a good deal of electricity on lights, wipers, heater fan etc., and always restarted perfectly (2 fast turns of the engine max) I had never heard the alternator hum like that, so decided to give the car a good local run A) to find out if the sound was due to the battery being low after the car had been standing for 4 months, and B) so that if the alternator was about to fail, it would do so close to home. As proven, my hunch was right, and the already reduced hum, disappeared completely within the first 10 miles of my long journey. Incidentally, I tried starting it 3 months into its SORN - all it did was click, so I put it on an overnight charge - around 18hrs, and it started fine. Next time I SORN it, I'll give it a charge more often.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 23:16   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Mr Numb Sir.

With all due deference I can see you don't understand how a car's electrical and charging system works.

Please go and have a look at my posts in the ---Really, really useful---- thread at the main page of the Tech forum.

Will help you in your understanding of batteries and their funny little ways.---

You will find the posts under my forum name-----COLVERT.

Bon chance.---That way to the thread.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote