Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th November 2019, 15:25   #61
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
If its a time critical delivery add an extra portion of beans to the trucker's breakfast. There's even an in cab refuelling option.

LOL Beanz Meanz Milez.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 16:16   #62
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

:Ideal on a long run, but hope I am not behind you. :.
Old 7th November 2019, 20:37   #63
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

As an HGV driver myself you have prodded me into life here! Trucks are there purely for the reason of supply and demand, belching out particulates? I don't think so. Maybe 40 years ago but not today. Trucks have vertical exhausts today so nothing is being ejected at ground level but even so are modern commercial vehicles not subject to stringent Euro 6 regulations? Our vehicles where I work practically emit nothing but water vapour after the Ad Blue system has done its job. A quick look up at the exhaust on my truck which is now 12 months old and the outlet of the exhaust pipe is clean like new and not black and sooty like in the old days. Just saying.
Mark190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2019, 21:39   #64
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
That maybe the impressive case but what of the unseen stuff!

Not just seeing the black and blue stuff out of the exhaust pipes which concerns folks like me, its the unseen stuff that is the bigger worry.

I shaped up to pass a nice new Mercedes Diesel recently in my aged Rover 620ti. The driver did not want to be passed by an old Rover and floored the loud pedal. Cue two twin streams of black stuff out of the twin exhaust pipes. That's just the stuff I could see. VAG diesel cars when flooring it much the same or worse.

Not that long ago, I attended a pre-booked "while you wait" MoT appointment with me arriving a little early. Ahead of me being tested was a modern German Diesel. I observed the emissions part of the test. The tester arranged the engine revs so that the exhaust could clear the system. This resulted in a thick fog of stuff throughout the Industrial Unit. It took over a minute to clear. Speaking to the tester later I remarked no way would that thing pass the emissions part of the test. However I was wrong. It did pass. Apparently "They all do that"... now where have I heard that before.

I have no real axe to grind as I drive Petrol Turbos... Oh Unclean MG John! What irks me is that these were penalised during the Diesels Good, Petrols Bad con-trick and still nothing done to redress that unfair imbalance.
I don't think many people realise just how technologically advanced modern heavy trucks are. All they see is a big threatening heavy vehicle with no regard at all as to what is going on underneath. The truck manufacturers spend millions developing engines and automatic transmissions that really are state of the art pieces of kit adept at moving heavy weights along the road as efficiently as possible. Obviously they need to be serviced and maintained to a high standard as well. Getting back to this particular discussion about the possible eventual switch to electric vehicles, an earlier post mentioned the 40ton plus freight trains on rubber pounding the highways day and night and the fact that they cannot be replaced by an equivalent electric vehicle? Well i am inclined to agree at the moment for me the diesel engine is a fantastic invention that's been around for some time and is only now really being developed in conjunction with modern technology that we didn't have before. Where we are at now in 2019 the diesel engine in my opinion simply cannot be beaten for shifting heavy loads around the country. Battery technology is advancing at a pace i know but i am not aware of anything in the near future to compete with the diesel on the same scale so the Government may be attempting to phase out diesels or indeed all internal combustion engines to a point but for me in a heavy lorry weighing 44 tons diesel is King!
Mark190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 13:04   #65
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I used to be in heavy transport, and if anyone should be dead from inhaling diesel particulates, it should be me. 60 hours a week for many years until hours came down. There is so much ‘devilling ‘ of diesel fuel, that it makes me think that somewhere along the line, some companies must be in for a big payday. Shell being one of them. They have begun a move into the electric and gas supplying industries. Why? Because that is where we are going to be paying through the nose to keep the lights on and keep warm this time of the year. Come on people, wake up to what is going on around you, please.
Old 9th November 2019, 22:58   #66
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I used to be in heavy transport, and if anyone should be dead from inhaling diesel particulates, it should be me. 60 hours a week for many years until hours came down. There is so much ‘devilling ‘ of diesel fuel, that it makes me think that somewhere along the line, some companies must be in for a big payday. Shell being one of them. They have begun a move into the electric and gas supplying industries. Why? Because that is where we are going to be paying through the nose to keep the lights on and keep warm this time of the year. Come on people, wake up to what is going on around you, please.
There are also people who have smoked 20 fags a day their whole life and not contracted cancer, but it dioesn't prove that tobacco is harmless, you are just lucky not to have the kind of physiology that reacts like that.
Shell, and other fuel suppliers have realised that the writing is on the wall as far as fossil fuels are concerned, from the Paris Accord to the depletion and increasing cost of finding and collecting oil, including the massive fines and bad press when they have a hugely polluting spillage or leak, they are future proofing themselves by investing in a variety of alternative energy and motive power solutions. Just good business sense, really.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 23:14   #67
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Modern turbo diesels are remarkably efficient and driven correctly, produce less CO2 (which is not strictly a pollutant), and comparable NOX and particulates to petrol engines. However, hitting the accelerator pedal hard at low revs, produces very inefficient combustion, as the turbo is unable to pump sufficient air into the engine. This is why heavily laden trucks and buses are so polluting in urban areas; their constant starting from traffic lights, often as the driver floors it while he is creeping towards them in too high a gear, is in sharp contrast to the truck cruising at 60mph+ on a motorway.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 23:30   #68
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I surely cannot be alone here, surely this is a forum for car enthusiasts, not one for domestic appliances surely

Electric cars have no soul, even the likes of the exciting (sic) Tesla.

The debate over when the powers that be force us to hang up the keys to "real" cars in favour of souped up milk floats, those with vested interest in riding the populist bandwagon of environmental concern, ramming bus lanes, idiotic traffic calming, obscene amounts of road furniture that actually create congestion not ease it etc etc etc. will rumble on I fear.

Over and out

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 02:49   #69
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Hear Hear Brian!

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 10:48   #70
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Well said Brian!

How much fuel is wasted every day slowing down and then accelerating away from sleeping policemen? In this Nanny state, almost every roundabout seems to have sleeping policemen in front of it! If you can't see a roundabout in front of you and heed the signs, you shouldn't be on the road!
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote