Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th June 2011, 21:40   #1
chrishumphries
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 connoisseur CDTI TOUR & ZTT+ CDTi Tourer - both in rare starlight silver

Default Lower arm rear bush removal

I've just replaced the bushes on both bottom arms, for two **** bolts a side it was a pig of a job ! A quick tip, I would imagine that most of the worn bushes will be like mine and the inner part of the bush will be virtually detached from the outer, leaving it stuck on the arm. I spent an hour with a hack-saw cutting one off as I could n't knock it off. For the other side a neighbour lent me an angle grinder and it was off in seconds. You just need to be careful not to cut any further through than the metal inner sleeve.If you can lay your hands on a stubby 18mm ring spanner it makes the job a lot easier too.
chrishumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 23:17   #2
92 squadron
Drink 92 SQUADRON BEER

Jaguar X Type 2.2 SE Diesel estate Mem No789

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishumphries View Post
I've just replaced the bushes on both bottom arms, for two **** bolts a side it was a pig of a job ! A quick tip, I would imagine that most of the worn bushes will be like mine and the inner part of the bush will be virtually detached from the outer, leaving it stuck on the arm. I spent an hour with a hack-saw cutting one off as I could n't knock it off. For the other side a neighbour lent me an angle grinder and it was off in seconds. You just need to be careful not to cut any further through than the metal inner sleeve.If you can lay your hands on a stubby 18mm ring spanner it makes the job a lot easier too.

Quite agree, done both mine, nearside was easier than the offside. Easy way was to burn them apart with a blowlamp they come of quite easy then. The space and movement of the spanner is minimal as you say. Found it easier to reposition the bush bolts by doing up the first bolt [rear] so as to aline the the front bolt, once the front bolt has started in the thread take out the first bolt as you will need the room to tighten the front bolt fiddly but less work than taking the whole bottom wishbone off!
92 squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 02:28   #3
tvpcop
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 135+

A flexible head ratchet spanner makes a hard job infinitely easier, cost me about a tenner from halfords. I use a bit of pipe over the end to increase leverage on it.
MG ZT CDTI+ 135 Drivers Intel pack, spec: full heated leather, parking sensors, auto dip mirror, traffic master, xenons, harmon kardon system, kenwood mp3, bluetooth, refurbed gridspokes, Decat Longlife Stainless exhaust, 190 brake conversion, Synergy2 + Pierburg, intake mod, FK-452's, Jules gold resistor

To-do, Leon splitter, have drivers seat re-upholstered to repair rip.............the list never ends!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tvpcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 13:11   #4
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Done a couple of sets recently (Phil T4's and ukmastifs)

Much much easier to remove the arms and remove/fit the bushes off the car I reckon!!

20/30 mins per side IIRC!! (well the second time at least - lifes a learning curve!!)

Agreed the bush bolts are a pain!! I didnt have a 18 swivel rachet so I used a snap-on offset combo (ring end) with another spanner (as an 'extension') to 'crack' them loose then its just a case of 'a flat at a time' untill you can spin them with your fingers!!

Put bush inner across the vice jaws and tap out the arm

Lube the bushes/arm with some 'fairy' or eqiv and they slide on no probs!

Fit the arm back but dont put the nut on the inner ball so its loose and dont engage the outer ball at all untill you get both bush bolts started allows you to 'jiggle' the arm/bush to align the bolts easily and probably 'finger' spin them in most of the way - then engage the outer ball/swivel and tighten everything up not forgeting the inner swivel nut- simples!!

Andy
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 17:25   #5
Fishytroll66
Avid contributor

MG ZT -T

Default re nuts

Did you reuse the 18mm bolts, if so did you thread lock them or did they stay tight once you tightened them to hell?
Did mine the other day, granted I didn't have a flexi spanner then, today I found the bolts had come loose?! I've been back under and tightened them using ratchet spanner and a 24 inch long ring spanner for leverage. Do you think it'll do the job - or should I thread lock em?

Ta
Old 22nd July 2018, 22:31   #6
wmick
Avid contributor

R75 Club Tourer CDT

I've done mine up with a ring spanner looped into an open ender making a total length of about 18 inches.

I've then tightened the 18mm bolts up with this setup and I've had no problems.

I think I've fitted about 6 or 7 bushes this way and they're still a swine to undo when you come to change them.

Mick
wmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 12:18   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

These really are a nightmare to get to the bolts and get leverage on them; i've been trying for two weeks and one flange nut spanner just broke.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 17:32   #8
howardf
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpcop View Post
A flexible head ratchet spanner makes a hard job infinitely easier, cost me about a tenner from halfords. I use a bit of pipe over the end to increase leverage on it.
This is deffinately the way to go
howardf is offline   Reply With Quote