Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2012, 12:41   #1
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Is this a common fault, and can the actuators be repaired?

Collected my car from my service centre, and went to lock it at a shopping centre car park.

The lights flashed, but the lock buttons on the doors would not recede and I had to physically insert the key to lock the driver’s door. Incidentally, when I returned to my car, I noticed the odometer / trip and outside temperature details (in the IPK) were illuminated, though of course the ignition was "off" and the door had previously been key locked.

They tell me that the driver’s (front off side) door lock / actuator has died (without warning signs) and requires replacing.

Is this a common fault, and can the actuators be repaired?

egremont
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 13:08   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Only a suggestion but have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 30mins ?
(make sure you have your radio code handy if it's not the Hi-Line SatNav/TV unit)

I've noticed that this cures all manner of strange happenings !

The door actuator assemblies do fail but I would try the above first.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 13:41   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

As above really, very unlikely all the actuators have failed together, disc batt for 30 mins making sure you follow shut down procedure if you have sat nav and radio code if you need one.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 00:58   #4
egremont
Loves to post

Many thanks mh007 and Stocktake for your advice.

I was told that the actuator in the drivers door, controls the actuators in the other doors. That is, should the actuator in the drivers door fail, then all the others will not function. Is this correct?

My car was returned to correct a leak. Appears that the junction in the A pillars n/s drain tube had been dislodged during an earlier service.

Seems that things come in threes. Second was when leaving the service centre, the warning light signified a blown low beam globe. Then after replacing the said bulb, this actuator problem raised its head.

I will try disconnecting my battery for 30 minutes and see if this cures the problem.

Will keep you informed. Thanks again.
egremont
Old 27th April 2012, 06:20   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

From what I can remember when we were working on Raistlin's ultimate remote.

The signal from the remote is picked up by the receiver in the centre console. this then sends a pulse to the BCU via the wiring. The BCU sends a pulse out to the doors.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 27th April 2012, 06:38   #6
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Many thanks mh007 and Stocktake for your advice.

I was told that the actuator in the drivers door, controls the actuators in the other doors. That is, should the actuator in the drivers door fail, then all the others will not function. Is this correct?

My car was returned to correct a leak. Appears that the junction in the A pillars n/s drain tube had been dislodged during an earlier service.

Seems that things come in threes. Second was when leaving the service centre, the warning light signified a blown low beam globe. Then after replacing the said bulb, this actuator problem raised its head.

I will try disconnecting my battery for 30 minutes and see if this cures the problem.

Will keep you informed. Thanks again.
egremont

My driver's door actuator has failed to open (but locks perfectly well!) for the last couple of years....all the other doors work fine. I have a replacement but just can't quite face the prospect of doing this horribly fiddly job..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 10:18   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

wolves nano

Old 27th April 2012, 13:33   #8
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Quote:
I have a replacement but just can't quite face the prospect of doing this horribly fiddly job..
Remove screws, unclip rods remove. Half hour job done.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 12:04   #9
egremont
Loves to post

Thank you all for your suggestions.
The boot release switch does not function, and neither does the master locking switch.
I disconnected the battery (negative lead) for nearly an hour but nothing improved after refitting this lead.
So it looks as though there is no alternative than to install a replacement drivers door actuator switch. The garage say that this actuator is the controlling actuator and if it ceases to send signals to the Body Control Unit, the actuators in the other doors and boot will not work.
I know the service centre had to go behind the passenger glove box to re connect the join in the sunroof drain tube - that they accidentally dislodged during an earlier visit.. It has crossed my mind as to whether a knock could affect the BCU wiring.
Are these units easy to repair? Could this unit have been sourced from the BMW parts bin?

egremont
Old 1st May 2012, 13:47   #10
egremont
Loves to post

Default I hope it is the right diagnosis this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
From what I can remember when we were working on Raistlin's ultimate remote.

The signal from the remote is picked up by the receiver in the centre console. this then sends a pulse to the BCU via the wiring. The BCU sends a pulse out to the doors.
I visited my service centre today to have the actuator replaced, and mentioned that the interior courtesy lights, the boot release button, boot light and none of the door locks worked.

Upon my return I was informed that my BCU is faulty – and the actuators are O.K.

Given the BCU is positioned behind the glove box, is it possible that one of its three connectors could have been inadvertently dislodged during the installation of my sensor, albeit temporarily. I don’t know where the BCU earthing points are, but if one is near the leakage spot (had an earlier leak that went undetected for a while) could a poor connection effect only part of the BCU’s operation?

Does the new BCU require a session with a T4?