Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th February 2023, 12:51   #1
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Default has anyone reduced ZT wheel size and got better ride?

I'm interested as would like to get a softer ride in everyday driving. I have a later MK2 BUT it has no suspension codes anywhere. When springs broke I had to do a LOT of research to find the right ones. I am not sure though if they are comfort or sport as the OEM reseller my mechanic used had no idea either.

So my first thought was buy or swap for a 75, which I'm actively exploring.

But I wondered if anyone with a Zed had reduced their wheel size and noticed a meaningful, objective ride improvement?

Thanks,

Paul.

Last edited by paulonsite; 7th February 2023 at 12:54..
paulonsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 13:43   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulonsite View Post
I'm interested as would like to get a softer ride in everyday driving. I have a later MK2 BUT it has no suspension codes anywhere. When springs broke I had to do a LOT of research to find the right ones. I am not sure though if they are comfort or sport as the OEM reseller my mechanic used had no idea either.

So my first thought was buy or swap for a 75, which I'm actively exploring.

But I wondered if anyone with a Zed had reduced their wheel size and noticed a meaningful, objective ride improvement?

Thanks,

Paul.
#
I've not had any experience of reduced "wheel" size on my ZT but only reduced tyre height from 45 to 40. I was glad when the 40's wore out.

On my Rover 820 Vitesse Sport the handbook recommended 16" wheels (17" from factory) if snow chains were to be fitted.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 18:34   #3
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

if you are not totally bothered about the ZT handling what about 75 suspension and keep the look with the ZT wheels ?
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 18:59   #4
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

A surprising amount of ride compliance comes from the tyres, with a taller sidewall giving a softer ride. I don't have any experience of trying different wheels on the ZT but I did once buy a cheap Fiesta with 17" aftermarket alloys on. I didn't like the way they looked or rode so swapped them out for factory 15" alloys. The improvement in ride comfort was considerable. That said, as Tony suggested, changing to 75 suspension might yield a more significant benefit.

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 20:34   #5
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

I did it the other way round, I converted my 2nd 75 into a ZT, it was just wheels,bumper and rear spoiler. when i put the wheels on i didn't notice much difference TBO it was still a smooth comfy ride.

tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2023, 08:37   #6
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

I’ve got hairpins on my 75 at the moment simply due to refusing to buy a new set of tyres for the wheels that were fitted. It’s important to note the tyres fitted to these wheels is 225/45/18, a slightly larger profile than standard. I haven’t noticed much change in comfort, there is slightly more road noise but again difficult to notice.
On my zs I did the same as you’re proposing, fitted some 15” wheels instead of the 17’s and the ride is still firm and the road noise is still unbearable on long journeys.
I would say the biggest factor is the suspension, good suspension tuned to the tyres and requirements of the ride will yield a good ride with any tyre and wheel combination. However I never had an issue with the zt I had a few years ago, I thought it was perfectly compliant.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2023, 15:52   #7
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony g View Post
if you are not totally bothered about the ZT handling what about 75 suspension and keep the look with the ZT wheels ?
I must admit the ZT handling is brilliant. But the ride and tyre noise on long journeys is too much now.

I did ask a very competent mechanic about doing what you suggest and it can't be done. Spring and damper length turned out to be different meaning the existing arms wouldnt fit the new parts. The suspension would effectively stop the arms from working. Maybe others did make it work but we couldn't.
paulonsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2023, 16:04   #8
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulonsite View Post
I must admit the ZT handling is brilliant. But the ride and tyre noise on long journeys is too much now.

I did ask a very competent mechanic about doing what you suggest and it can't be done. Spring and damper length turned out to be different meaning the existing arms wouldnt fit the new parts. The suspension would effectively stop the arms from working. Maybe others did make it work but we couldn't.
I selected these tyres and there was a slight drop in road noise compared to the Michelins.
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s557..._Noise%3A_67dB
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2023, 19:55   #9
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

My experience is that tire sizes and wheel sizes do make a difference in comfort. Having both serpent alloys with R17 225 45 tires with exactly thesame tires as on y spokes and crown alloys but size R15 195 65 makes a lot difference in better comfort. I prefer the comfort wheels and tires. (All Michelin crossclimate plus from 2022).