Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th April 2011, 21:39   #1
Jarno
Avid contributor

Steel Blue Rover 75 2.5 V6 Sterling Auto. + MGF

Default BMW MK4 computer crashes

Hi all,

I installed a used BMW MK4 satnav computer a couple of months ago. It works perfectly most of the time, but sometimes it suddenly crashes and restarts multiple times in a row before it completely freezes the menu. If I turn the ignition off, the old MK2 menu shows up and the satnav is no longer available in the menu. If I park the car for a while, the computer is back alive and most of the time it works perfectly again for a couple of days, before the problem shows up again. The problem mostly shows up during navigation but sometimes it just crashes without using the navigation.

Has anyone experienced the same problem with the MK4 computer? Could the DVD (Copy of the 2010 maps disc with custom boot Rover logo) be the problem or is this a hardware problem?

Thanks in advance!
Jarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 08:28   #2
Julian
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 (V8)

Hi Jarno,
I experienced this once. I switched off, waited 20 minutes or so for the system to power down totally and re-started: no problems since, so just a one-off glitch hopefully.
Julian.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 08:31   #3
Jarno
Avid contributor

Sadly it isn't a one-off glitch in my case. Since I posted here, it randomly crashes every couple of days. Very annoying, because I can't trust the satnav anymore and I have to take a TomTom with me when I really need the satnav..
Old 13th May 2011, 08:44   #4
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

It does sound as if the Mark 4 computer is faulty. The first thing to try is a replacement disc, as it could be corrupt data on the DVD causing the sat nav to throw up errors.

The other thing to do is check to see if the disc has TMC codes on it. If so, the nav computer may be struggling with these (a known problem with original Rover Mark 2 computers, but fine on the Mark 3s)

Can you switch off the TMC in the sat nav menu, or try a disc without the codes to check?

I take it, the computer operates correctly when it is working, and its not a wiring up issue?
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 09:33   #5
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Would suggest checking to see if the unit has been getting wet....it may not be wet now but might have tell-tale watermarks on it...if so, pop it in the airing cupboard for a few days and sort the leak from the waist finisher clip holes....
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:03   #6
pmessling
Posted a thing or two

TVR

i had this very problem with mine and was due to a custom splash that i done on a newer version of the V32, down grade and you should be okay. I think it is partly down to the size of the file used for the splash, although the pixel area is limited it depends on what you do to the file that determines the size in the end.

Another thing that i had on that disc was the speed camera locations, but down grading and using the same map disc worked for me
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...ner468x60b.gif
pmessling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 09:22   #7
Jarno
Avid contributor

Thanks for your replies!

@pmessling: This is exactly what I've got too. The seller of the MK4 computer made a custom version of the V32 with a custom splash screen and speed camera locations for me. Which software version would u recommend?

I am using this splashscreen: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5250/roversplashscreensmall.jpg

@Reebs: I am using an unofficial copy of the 2011 maps DVD with TMC, so I will try to use the official BMW 2006 DVD to see whether this is the problem. The computer is operating normally when it's working.

@Zeb: the unit has not been wet as far as I can see.