Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2015, 15:38   #1
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Cool Photo Composition + My new Wheels :)

For the Bikers amongst the members, and I know there's a few: I've come back! here's some Photo's of my new ride. I've posted here in photography corner as I'm also trying to improve my photo skills and despite it being a dullish day I thought I'd give it a go with these. So I present two very similar shot's and I'd appreciate a critique on the composition - the subject and lighting are what they are I didn't go to any trouble with exposure, just used program mode. Yes I have decluttered the background slightly (using paint.net) as this was the best I could find with failing light. While both shots are very similar there is at least one difference which I think the photographers at least will notice. So what do you think?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 21:12   #2
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Nice looking bike, but me not being a photographer I haven't got aclue what the difference is in the pics.
Old 12th February 2015, 22:49   #3
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Nice bike for taking photos - I know little about bikes but that one is a looker.

Your 2nd shot could maybe not be quite so close to the windshield on the top edge.

Not easy to get great pics in the conditions you describe.

I played with the blacks and whites, contrast and other levels and got this.

Not sure its better but a bit different.

Edit: Looking again now, I think mine is a little over done. O well.

Before

After

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 12th February 2015 at 23:01..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 06:16   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Your second shot does it for me as it shows greater detail of the bike As the background is not doing the bike any favours, you could have zoomed in a little closer, enabling more detail to be seen. In Lightroom, I would be able to brush in some extra light and sharpness, to enhance the metal and chrome hidden by the blacks.

Viewing on a mobile, the colours look right and the exposure does not appear to be over cooked. This might not be your cuppa, but with another programme, I would have placed the bike on a different background making the bike more the centre piece.

What was the exif data?

I hope you have not been offended by my comments.

I would like to see some close-ups of the features which you feel should be pointed out. Why not make an album for the members? Bikes have a quite a following and are of special interest here. Sadly, I lost my best friend in ZA last year, a biker and club member to a drunk driver. He loved his bikes, his cars and his women I used to get a chance to go out with him on his RS...still miss his friendship...such is life.

Getting back to your photo, thank for posting up such an honest picture for us to see and talk about. For now, I will leave it there.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 12:53   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Thanks for the comments fellas, The tweaks by Rocket certainly bring out the real colour a little better. I know the lighting wasn't brill and I didn't mess with the picture at all. Spot on about the screen touching the top of the Photo, again the background while fine didn't go any higher so I had to cut it close. My main question was rather about the angles and framing rather than lighting and colour (but all valid comments). I'll do some more when we get some better light (and at the right angles). Also must scout out better locations. Problem is with the colour of this it doesn't contrast well with a normal rural (hedges & fields) backdrop - just merges with it. Also although it can't be seen from that front angle, the paint fades from the green you can see to nearly black at the back of each piece (front guard, tank, and rear guard).

I'll scout for some better locations so when the sun comes back I'll get a better shot. The screen might go as the reflections cover the clocks and tops of the bars from view.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 13:15   #6
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Thanks for the comments fellas, The tweaks by Rocket certainly bring out the real colour a little better. I know the lighting wasn't brill and I didn't mess with the picture at all. Spot on about the screen touching the top of the Photo, again the background while fine didn't go any higher so I had to cut it close. My main question was rather about the angles and framing rather than lighting and colour (but all valid comments). I'll do some more when we get some better light (and at the right angles). Also must scout out better locations. Problem is with the colour of this it doesn't contrast well with a normal rural (hedges & fields) backdrop - just merges with it. Also although it can't be seen from that front angle, the paint fades from the green you can see to nearly black at the back of each piece (front guard, tank, and rear guard).

I'll scout for some better locations so when the sun comes back I'll get a better shot. The screen might go as the reflections cover the clocks and tops of the bars from view.
A field of yellow rape seed, a meadow of corn, with the bike either to the right or left of the photo, would imply direction and in my opinion, would offer up a contrast in bringing out the colours of the bike brilliantly in an off road setting. All the best
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 14:01   #7
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

In terms of composition, using the 'rule of thirds' can help make an ordinary picture a good picture.

http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/rule-of-thirds
Old 13th February 2015, 16:08   #8
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

The bike is a wonderful subject for a pic. I hope you get enjoyment finding a good location and then getting the right shot. Along the lines of what Phil said I would be looking to put the bike say on the left of the pic. The right side in my eye needs to lead somewhere or give that impression, giving a sense of the bike travelling from left to right.

Also some close ups of various parts of the bike could be great - all that chrome

Have fun.

Oh and lots of sun - makes it feel like summer and a great day for biking. The open road ahhhhhhh

This is endless lol

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 13th February 2015 at 16:20..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote