Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2020, 22:00   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Michael. I have had two ‘happenings’ with vehicles I have owned. Just tell them where it was and is kept. Both times I have received letters absolving me from the police. Some times they are ‘fishing’ because they only have part of the number, like what happened to me the once. I would tell your sister-in-law not to worry in the least. I just hope they catch the scroat, and give him a good big fine. Best of luck on that one.
Old 10th June 2020, 07:23   #12
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I'm a bit south of the Newcastle area, but will keep an eye out for it. The OOJ suffix on the plate is my alert prompt.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 12:18   #13
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Although the notification of speeding seems to have come from Northumbria Police the bike was clocked speeding in Rochester, which is in Kent. It is possible that the bike might have just been visiting that area but is that likely? If I were a cop I would be looking at questioning the previous owner/owners of the registration number in question - might be something in it, might be not. Would be interesting regardless to know how the reg was targeted by the cloner and if that person has any connection with the area in which your brother purchased the bike.

I would think that there is a good chance that the bike which was clocked speeding on a false plate is stolen. I've had one nicked and I would laugh my socks off if he came off it and had to be shoveled up out of the gutter.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 22:37   #14
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

There's also Rochester in Northumberland northwest of Otterburn on the A68
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 07:24   #15
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Although the notification of speeding seems to have come from Northumbria Police the bike was clocked speeding in Rochester, which is in Kent. It is possible that the bike might have just been visiting that area but is that likely? If I were a cop I would be looking at questioning the previous owner/owners of the registration number in question - might be something in it, might be not. Would be interesting regardless to know how the reg was targeted by the cloner and if that person has any connection with the area in which your brother purchased the bike.

I would think that there is a good chance that the bike which was clocked speeding on a false plate is stolen. I've had one nicked and I would laugh my socks off if he came off it and had to be shoveled up out of the gutter.
You raise a good point and one that needs to be looked at by those in authority. My brother bought both bikes new in January, he rode one of them just once and covered 24 miles on it. The question is who supplied the criminal with the number to use? I've long suspected DVLA has a list seller so it's likely from there, the chances of someone from the North East seeing a bike that was only ridden once in January are slim. It could be random but unlikely, a new bike with a fresh insurance policy and road tax must be sweet music to a criminal, they get a year of free riding in their minds, they're not to know the bike isn't in use and is now on sorn. I suspect that the number is now going to flag up on ANPR quite soon, it might mean a stolen bike is recovered and maybe other criminal activity is found, they'll get a search warrant for his abode when he's caught.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 08:29   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Rochester is on the A68 west of Otterburn........definitely biker roads

Not the one in Kent

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 09:15   #17
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Good Lord, you are right Pete/Brian there is a Rochester in Northumberland which I did not know of. So yes, definitely the one where the bike was clocked I now think. I suppose that it is possible as David mentions in post 11 that the Police might have acted on a partial capture of a similar reg but I personally would not expect them to do that - but you never know. When you said "new" Mike I assumed that you meant that the bikes were used and just new to your brother. So they are new as in brand new and your brother is the first and only registered owner?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 09:54   #18
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Good Lord, you are right Pete/Brian there is a Rochester in Northumberland which I did not know of. So yes, definitely the one where the bike was clocked I now think. I suppose that it is possible as David mentions in post 11 that the Police might have acted on a partial capture of a similar reg but I personally would not expect them to do that - but you never know. When you said "new" Mike I assumed that you meant that the bikes were used and just new to your brother. So they are new as in brand new and your brother is the first and only registered owner?
That's correct, both brand new and just 24 miles on one and 2 on the other. As we're in Wigan and the clone is in the North East, I'm sure that 24 miles doesn't figure.....As well as the fact that he was dead for nine days at that point.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 11:09   #19
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

I’ve had the number plates on my MG ZR cloned at least twice that I know of. I first found out about it when I received an impound notice from Greater Manchester Police. I live in Newcastle.

After a little bit of legwork on my behalf the matter was cleared up. The second time it was someone from the owners club who sent me a photo of another car wearing my plates. Both times the cars were green MGs so a basic check would pass it off as my taxed, MOT’d and insured green MG without raising any suspicion.

After finding out about the second clone I informed the authorities and the DVLA both of which passed me from pillar to post and weren’t in the least bit interested.

From this point on I bought a personalised plate and have never posted images on the net since. I’m not saying this case is a result of online images, but it was definitely the case for me.

The risk of trying to explain false speeding tickets and whatever else may that may have came about from the clone and also following the couldn’t care less attitude from various police departments at the time, I thought better to be safe than sorry. At the time my ZR was very well known in owners clubs and there were images of it all over the internet, it makes an easy picking for those who are looking to clone a vehicle from further afield to avoid getting caught.

I hope you get this cleared up, it can be stressful especially given your circumstances.
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 11:34   #20
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

It is possible that someone from the supplying dealership is involved, they would certainly know its details.

My nephew has recently returned to the UK from working in Malaysia and Australia. Now working back in the UK but preparing to retire they purchased a brand new very expensive camper van. Picked it up took it home and left it on the drive. Next morning it had gone and was seen on cameras speeding away out of the village.

The police think one of two things happened. He was followed from the dealers home, but Paul says he did not see anything suspicious and the roads to his home are very quite so a vehicle following would have been seen. Or the information was passed on by someone at the dealers which they suspect more likely but its proving it.

His insurers thought it was dodgy and suspected Paul was in on it and would not pay up for a while. In the end they replaced the van but insisted on two lots of alarms, a tracker, retractable posts behind the van and CCTV before they would deliver it.

The van has not been recovered.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote