Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th June 2020, 09:39   #701
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

I made part number XAG15154 out of flimsy steel.... It bent... Ha ha ha ha ha ..

Wear are th imogies on quick replies???
Old 14th June 2020, 13:41   #702
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post

Wear are th imogies on quick replies???
Hiding inside the go advanced button lol

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2020, 20:00   #703
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Today I mowed the lawn, it was a little wet, so I ran over on the highest setting, and while waiting for the sunshine to do it's stuff and dry things out so I could run over the grass again, I decided to get the tools out.

The job, well I replaced the timing belt, alternator belt and PAS belt on the Freelander.

These belts have covered less than 700 miles, however they are ten years old.

Does anyone remember a discussion some time ago about how drive belts don't deteriorate with age, and only mileage matters?

Take a look and see what you think........

First we have the timing belt, note that the belt has acquired a set while fitted, in it's relaxed state it should be a gentle oval.

Next the date code, this belt was made on day 6 of week 34 2010 by Gates at Dumfries Scotland.

Follow that by the alternator drive belt

And finally, the PAS drive belt.

I only ever fit Gates belts, as these are the exact same items fitted by Rover and Land Rover, and in the case of this car all of the belts pictured were changed at the same time, both previously and today.

So these belts have not covered anywhere near their mileage limits, but are four years over their time limit, there is no contamination and the auto tensioner was like new, and reused.

The service interval for the timing belt on this engine is 72,000 miles or six years whichever comes first, now who would have a bet as to whether they would have lasted another 71300 miles?

Consider that next time anyone tries to persuade you that it is a money making ploy by car manufactures, or timing belt makers that belt need to be replaced on a time basis, and it is safe to run them to the maximum mileage

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freelander timing belt.jpg (75.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg freelander timing belt date.jpg (89.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg freelander alternator belt.jpg (78.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg freelander PAS belt.jpg (79.6 KB, 56 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2020, 20:01   #704
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Sink traps

Replaced the flip flap drain on the bathroom sink. The new one was shorter than the old one by just enough to squiff the exit pipe into leaking Grrrrrrrrrrr!. Had to cut the exit pipe and insert a coupling to line everything up again. Murphys Law strikes again. If it might fit, it won't! Quick trip to B&Q (socially distanced) to find a fitting that might fit (luckily this time it did despite being 2 mm different - according to the printing on the fitting!). Home James, all replaced and working again!

Only to find that the opposite end of the conservatory (opposite to the one which I fixed over a couple of weeks) appeared to have sprung a leak! Easily cured by some sealant and when it's dry again, some flexi, self adhesive flashing.

Hey ho! Almost as much fun as Rover tinkering! SWMBO is pleased it's getting sorted at last!
Old 19th June 2020, 20:46   #705
alphaeagle
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi, MG ZT CDTi

So today I got these two little beauties.....

got a good deal both for 60 euros including postage....

I have put on the wood and leather one in my car.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Rover 75 CDTi Copperleaf

Today is just yesterdays tomorrow.....
alphaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 23:12   #706
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Complete brake fluid change on the hippo, the stuff that came out had a head on it

Then I removed the nearside track rod so I could change the track rod end.

What a hateful design !, the TRE has a LH thread, the track rod a RH thread, the TRE and track rod have a split threaded section with a pinch bolt.

So what followed after wire brushing the threads, shocking the TRE with a copper hammer, then removing the pinch bolt, was a chisel to spread the TRE and application of lots of plusgas.

An overnight soak, and off it came.......a brilliant design.....not

I suppose every cloud has a silver lining though, before I removed the TRE, I was able to measure accurately the from the TRE ball pin to a datum point on the track rod, so when I fitted the new TRE the dimension was identical.

Needless to say I'm not having the tracking checked, and the steering neither pulls nor is the wheel offset...........mind you I'm tempted by the lure of something new and interesting to become a valuable addition to my modern lifestyle..............LINK

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2020, 09:34   #707
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Nice bit of kit for the money! It would not take more than, say, checking two vehicles to get a return on your investment compared to commercial costs. Hard to resist...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2020, 10:43   #708
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Dont forget you will need the rear wheels doing first.
Old 27th June 2020, 16:55   #709
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Today I...

I've had a problem with my little Punto for months, misfiring and using water. The obvious culprit was the head gasket although other things could be the reason. I've got a six speed box for it and plan to fit it soon, there's a core plug behind the flywheel and I've had leaky ones elsewhere on it, I did think the using water could be that and the misfire unrelated. I took off the head today, the fire ring on number four cylinder has split across into the water jacket but there was no pressure in the hoses, it seems that the piston has been drawing in the water rather than the oil going into the water, the split looks like a gasket fault as it's not burned away. I changed it a year ago and It looks to have been a duff gasket. I've been on it all day through this soul destroying weather and I'm almost done. The morning should see me done in a short time but the rain today has been torrential here and I simply said NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- it.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2020, 20:15   #710
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I've had a problem with my little Punto for months, misfiring and using water. The obvious culprit was the head gasket although other things could be the reason. I've got a six speed box for it and plan to fit it soon, there's a core plug behind the flywheel and I've had leaky ones elsewhere on it, I did think the using water could be that and the misfire unrelated. I took off the head today, the fire ring on number four cylinder has split across into the water jacket but there was no pressure in the hoses, it seems that the piston has been drawing in the water rather than the oil going into the water, the split looks like a gasket fault as it's not burned away. I changed it a year ago and It looks to have been a duff gasket. I've been on it all day through this soul destroying weather and I'm almost done. The morning should see me done in a short time but the rain today has been torrential here and I simply said NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- it.
Long time since I did a head gasket in the street with bad weather. Rosefield St, Portobello Ediburgh 1976. MGB GT. Can't remember the reg. but my new wife and I both loved that car. Unfortunately it kept letting us down and I was always fixing it. Lost confidence and sold it on. Bumped into the big Scotsman guy who bought it in a pub two years later. 'you know that car you sold me' he said ( me nervously trapped at the bar ).....'best car I ever bought. Nothing's gone wrong'
Well done. Few naughty words to myself at the time for selling it lol.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote