Closed Thread

Old 26th June 2020, 18:12   #91
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You don't need to bother closing the beaches up here, I was out yesterday there were families having fun in complete safety, and no overcrowding.

The bogs were open, and I even had a 99

Wild horses would not be able to drag me into a public loo.

I hope you used the correct anti-virus liquid to avoid any kind of foreign incursions into your nether regions.---
Old 26th June 2020, 19:09   #92
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Wild horses would not be able to drag me into a public loo.

I hope you used the correct anti-virus liquid to avoid any kind of foreign incursions into your nether regions.---
I didn't say I used the bog, simply that they were open Jon
Old 26th June 2020, 20:03   #93
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Interesting, if slightly off-topic. We all know how much this virus malarkey is costing the country, both in human terms (THE most important I must stress) as well as in financial terms. So yesterday I had a rather nice surprise from HRMC. They owe me a good old wedge of dosh as I retired last year. In the letter it says I can claim on-line, so I went onto my government web page thinking I could have this rebate paid into my bank account within 5 days. Only to be met with the message that the on-line refund system is currently not available and I will get a cheque in around 6 weeks. Trouble with that is, as someone who is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, it means a trip to the bank/post office.

I'm pretty certain if the shoe was on the other foot it would be pay up now. Mmmm.

Now before folks go off on one I don't mind waiting. I am very happy to pay my taxes, there are a lot of people out there who are a lot worse off in all of this than the gaffa and me. But you gotta luv the tax man eh?
Old 26th June 2020, 20:45   #94
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I think there is something in that. Mayor gets £152,000 (plus who knows what) but of course travels all over London every day in his staff car for free. With current charges for entering, and surcharges for so much, that's quite a lot. Even so, it seems he can't afford a tie. Although, 10% of his salary is (only!) £292 a week.

PM gets £78,000 for PM plus £80,000 for his MP job, (plus who knows what). He is somewhat overpaid for the MP job (because he doesn't actually do it now) even so, 10% of his drawn pay is £303 per week. T'would only be a fiver difference.

One of those two indispensable public servants is apparently overpaid. And, on face value, under occupied. Best to leave that to you to decide.
Uh-huh. Plus the free gaff in Downing Street and the country getaway in Chequers. Not forgetting the only-slightly-dented Jag. Still, not bad for benefits in kind.
But it's odd, the negativity of the reaction to someone volunteering to give up a decent chunk of their pay. I'd be of the opinion that it's something to be commended rather than used as an excuse to condemn, and more inclined to have a pop at those who have volunteered to sacrifice precisely s0d-all (do your worst, censors!).
A Nigerian mother of three
Old 26th June 2020, 21:39   #95
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Yes, too stupid.

It's natures way to get the stupid ones in one place to make it easier for her to improve the human race by weeding out those not needed on life's journey.
The clever ones survive by keeping at a safer distance.--
Nicely put
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Interesting, if slightly off-topic. We all know how much this virus malarkey is costing the country, both in human terms (THE most important I must stress) as well as in financial terms. So yesterday I had a rather nice surprise from HRMC. They owe me a good old wedge of dosh as I retired last year. In the letter it says I can claim on-line, so I went onto my government web page thinking I could have this rebate paid into my bank account within 5 days. Only to be met with the message that the on-line refund system is currently not available and I will get a cheque in around 6 weeks. Trouble with that is, as someone who is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, it means a trip to the bank/post office.

I'm pretty certain if the shoe was on the other foot it would be pay up now. Mmmm.

Now before folks go off on one I don't mind waiting. I am very happy to pay my taxes, there are a lot of people out there who are a lot worse off in all of this than the gaffa and me. But you gotta luv the tax man eh?
I can only speak for myself and I have always found the I R pleasant and helpful to deal with
Old 26th June 2020, 23:29   #96
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post

I'm simply happy I managed to complete my year end tax returns in April, heaven knows how guilty I would have felt had I not played my small part in bankrolling the furlough scheme.

Of course I'm not bitter that I was not eligible to claim a penny for myself, I'm simply glad that I'm able to put back my retirement by at least five years, and that my children and their children will be eligible to pay for the financial "blip" this year has become, assuming they can find gainful employment that is

After all what is 340 billion pounds among friends

Brian

P.S. make sure to bank the cheque they send you ASAP, heaven knows if it will bounce
Old 27th June 2020, 06:34   #97
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

So, a lot of restrictions being lifted, or lightened, therefore, great examples of the British public able to represent us abroad again. Until the next attempt to increase restrictions, which now will never work.

Stay safe, stay aware.
Old 27th June 2020, 08:00   #98
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
So, a lot of restrictions being lifted, or lightened, therefore, great examples of the British public able to represent us abroad again. Until the next attempt to increase restrictions, which now will never work.

Stay safe, stay aware.
Fred the travel quarantine restrictions were a mockery to be fair, as NHS employees were exempt, so I could have take the missus abroad come home, she goes straight back to work and I have to stay at home for a fortnight.

What a load of twaddle, the sooner we as the public realise we have been well and truly had with the covid scam, find out that the aims were more or less to become a cashless society, and to control the population through coercion and fear and indeed outright perfidious albion.

Make no mistake the problem is not the virus, not by a long chalk

Brian
Old 27th June 2020, 08:25   #99
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Well we're not going abroad. Doubt we'll even go to a supermarket this side of Christmas.

We've got a dental appointment early September back west, usually stay overnight and meet up with friends and family, will probably be a very quick turnaround this time.

Think,when the numbers increase to a level already determined, those of us at risk, including folks in care and nursing homes, will be placed back into shielding/lock down and the process to tackle it will be more akin to a "conventional" pandemic.

Must say this is not what we had in mind post retirement.
Old 27th June 2020, 10:28   #100
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I didn't say I used the bog, simply that they were open Jon
Ah !!. Got you.

I though that it was used in your part of the country as a euphemism ( 99 ) Like we use number 1 or 2 darn sarf.---

I guess it's something you stick in an ice cream cone then.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 27th June 2020 at 10:40..
Closed Thread