Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2020, 20:48   #111
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
New Zealand has a population of about 5 million, where does your "larger" than the UK fit?
Exactly, the land mass of the north and south islands are about 10% bigger than the land mass of the UK

The problem is when people come out with statements such as Michael did when attempting to compare Scotland to England.

Scotland is approximately 61% the size of England, however has less than 10% of the population.

This means it is a nonsense to draw a parallel to what happens north of the border to that in England.

I'm carrying out work next week for a friend where one of his engineers wishes to remain furloughed as his wife is apparently "shielding"

The thing is, the engineer in question has been paid full salary for the past 12 weeks, so has little motivation to return to work.

The majority of people who are resistant to the restart of normal life are either financially unchanged, such as retirees, or people such as the chap aforementioned where he is being paid for sitting on his backside doing nothing.

I on the other hand despite having had very limited income, have not encountered the financial distress of many people, but I'm bored rigid.

Many of the normal things I might have expected to achieve if I'd had this amount of spare time available under normal circumstances, have been impossible.

I'm fully aware that if we don't consider the risks we take in life to be acceptable, then we are given a choice of which path we follow, but the way a lot of people choose is based upon the easy road, irrespective of the effect this has on the overall situation.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture, and the long term, and not simply pay heed to the way the picture is being presented currently........it's not always best to say "I'm alright Jack, stuff the rest of you" as some people seem to think is acceptable.

Brian

P.S. only one more sleep and I'm back to work
Old 28th June 2020, 20:52   #112
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Slacker... some of us haven't stopped
Old 29th June 2020, 13:07   #113
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:

The majority of people who are resistant to the restart of normal life are either financially unchanged, such as retirees, or people such as the chap aforementioned where he is being paid for sitting on his backside doing nothing.

I on the other hand despite having had very limited income, have not encountered the financial distress of many people, but I'm bored rigid.

Many of the normal things I might have expected to achieve if I'd had this amount of spare time available under normal circumstances, have been impossible.

I'm fully aware that if we don't consider the risks we take in life to be acceptable, then we are given a choice of which path we follow, but the way a lot of people choose is based upon the easy road, irrespective of the effect this has on the overall situation.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture, and the long term, and not simply pay heed to the way the picture is being presented currently........it's not always best to say "I'm alright Jack, stuff the rest of you" as some people seem to think is acceptable.

Brian

Please excuse the snip......

I agree and would support all that Brian. However, there always is a However isn't there, my faith in human behaviour has suffered meltdown with the change of social attitudes and civilities of recent times.

Those other incidental things like 'niceties' and 'manners' have virtually disappeared from public life, with even the elevated standing of public figures now falling into open disrepute and losing almost all credibility. Inter-personal communication has become a procession of comic character figures because language is now a casualty. As a result, misunderstandings abound.

It seems in one generation there has been a massive rise in unreasonable demands and expectations of a free living with no personal input from the individual. I no longer study the bigger picture but only concern myself with limited tolerance of the rest of the world with the exception of nearest and dearest.

Those pictures from south coast beaches after last week were the ultimate embarrassment for our national character. I'm glad our two girls grew up when they did and retained their generous spirit and respectability.
Old 29th June 2020, 16:39   #114
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hasn't scotland been free of deaths for a couple of days? The extra lock down measures have paid off.
Strange how different folk see things.

I took the above post to be a question coupled to a supposition.--
Old 29th June 2020, 16:55   #115
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

"The WHO warns that the "worst is yet to come" for the coronavirus pandemic"
Old 29th June 2020, 17:20   #116
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
"The WHO warns that the "worst is yet to come" for the coronavirus pandemic"
I wonder how they know? not that anyone can possibly know, or believe what they are being told

I've been at work today, and it's been refreshing to say the least.

Brian
Old 29th June 2020, 18:15   #117
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
I wonder how they know? not that anyone can possibly know, or believe what they are being told

I've been at work today, and it's been refreshing to say the least.

Brian
I have finally seen my daughter for the first time since lockdown, had my first hug too, lovely.

I am still fearful of the virus, but the world appears to have lost sight of all the other ills still ongoing.
Old 29th June 2020, 19:05   #118
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

An interesting article on comparable death rates over and above the normal for the G7 nations and the UK's appear truly awful:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53222182

Could an earlier and harder lock down have reduced the rate? Surely there is more to this than simple direct comparisons of numbers?

As a reminder:

https://www.ined.fr/en/everything_ab...births-deaths/
Old 29th June 2020, 19:26   #119
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
An interesting article on comparable death rates over and above the normal for the G7 nations and the UK's appear truly awful:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53222182

Could an earlier and harder lock down have reduced the rate? Surely there is more to this than simple direct comparisons of numbers?

As a reminder:

https://www.ined.fr/en/everything_ab...births-deaths/

Perhaps allowing up to 750,000 nationals to be repatriated into the country without any checks or quarantine on arrival had something to do with the statistics.My nephew was one of them,he flew in from New York,an epicentre of infection and was allowed to disappear into the community completely unchecked.I'm not surprised in the slightest at the figures.

Old 29th June 2020, 20:44   #120
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Mot extension to end:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...lockdown-lifts
Closed Thread