Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th July 2020, 19:37   #21
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I'll have another look with the product selector but I suspect the 3/4" models are big bucks. It's expensive for just two nuts which are unlikely to ever be taken off again.
You are right and I have bought a number of tools for just 1 job only to use them again and again over the years. You never know what will happen and so buying the correct tool now may not in the long term be a waste.
Think of all the people you can help out

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 20:16   #22
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I've knocked the tab out since that pic was taken. I've already tried my 400Nm impact gun and it doesn't want to know (claimed ratings need to be taken with a pinch of salt). This one might do it but it'll take several days to arrive. I can't get a 3ft or 1000mm breaker bar quickly either. The fastest bar from Amazon is this 600mm - too short probably?

See above .

I don't understand what you mean.
600mm will move them easy even easier if you put a tube on it as well, i have never had any trouble removing one of these, i usually never bother un-staking them either as i always use a new nut.

(PS i must point out that the above is not the correct way un-staking would be the right and easier way, i was merely pointing out the bar and tube i used removed them so, a 600mm bar and tube should move an un-staked nut easy.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC17858.jpg (136.5 KB, 49 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 7th July 2020 at 11:17.. Reason: rectification
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 20:24   #23
Steven211
Regular poster

VW Golf TDI yawn

Milwaukee 1500 nm impact gun will make mince meet of these nuts, I've had mine for 4 years and love it.
Steven211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 21:40   #24
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
A torque wrench must never be used for slackening nuts ever.

I'm surprised at you Simon

Torque wrench HERE

Brian

P.S. I use one of these to undo stake nuts, better than a breaker bar any day of the week ;

LINK
How about one of these ??

Brüder Mannesmann Torque Wrench Spanner Reversible Rotation Metal 28-

As long as your King Dick is big enough it will do what you want it to do.

If you need it longer then slide a piece of tube over it which will increase its length and pulling power.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 4th July 2020 at 21:43..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 22:24   #25
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'm afraid that's another subject on which we disagree Brian.

All four of my torque wrenches have the reversal facility and don't tell me that this is for left hand threads!

Simon
Simon, you don't need to be afraid, but that is exactly what the reverse function of your average torque wrench is for, left hand threaded fasteners.

For the first five years of my working life I manufactured devices used in the calibration of torque wrenches, so I can say with a degree of confidence that I know a little about the subject

You could take a look HERE if you wish to research the company, it was called Thor Tools Tynemouth, the UK subsidiary of Stewart-Warner Alemite.

If a torque wrench is used, even if it is set to a higher torque setting than that of the fastener, the effort to overcome stiction is far higher than may be expected.

If you abuse a tool in that way, it will not as you suggest last a lifetime, instead use a breaker bar to slacken bolts, in the same way that ratchets should not be used to breakout rusted or high torque threaded fasteners.

You can have the best quality tools money can buy, but you misunderstand how to use them, you will damage them

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 08:16   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Brian, have a look here at Norbar's document "The ten things you should know about your torque wrench". With your experience you will know that Norbar is an established and respected UK manufacturer of professional torque wrenches.

Scroll down to the heading: "Using torque wrenches for undoing". Here, Norbar says:

"So long as users operate with caution and do not exceed the maximum torque, most torque wrenches can be used for undoing."

Simon
Old 5th July 2020, 08:25   #27
Steven211
Regular poster

VW Golf TDI yawn

I have to agree with Brian on this debate, I work in the trade and we get our tools calibrated every 6 months, and the company we use always say do not use Torque wrenches as a breaker bar. And sure enough those who I work/have worked with in the past who refuse to buy a breaker bar end up going through torque wrenches like nothing as they fail the calibration to the point they cannot be calibrated no more. I bought by breaker bar off ebay about 12 years ago and it is still going strong and in those 12 years I have only had to replace my torque wrench once. It is nothing fancy either just a Teng one, I'm too tight to pay snap on prices.
Steven211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 08:44   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Brian, have a look here at Norbar's document "The ten things you should know about your torque wrench". With your experience you will know that Norbar is an established and respected UK manufacturer of professional torque wrenches.

Scroll down to the heading: "Using torque wrenches for undoing". Here, Norbar says:

"So long as users operate with caution and do not exceed the maximum torque, most torque wrenches can be used for undoing."

Simon
Quoting selectively again Simon

Read it again, or better still allow sensible people, those of whom where their judgement isn't too clouded to read the entire passage

I'm surprised at you, whereas you normally scoff at a manufactures websites, often calling them unadulterated sales pitches, you have chosen to quote one out of context to suit your own point of view

Here is the entire passage in context..........

So long as users operate with caution and do not exceed the maximum torque, most torque wrenches can be used for undoing. However, if the bolt will not free within the maximum torque of the wrench, another tool should be used instead. By exceeding the maximum torque limit during a bolt loosening you can affect the wrench accuracy, causing problems for future use. If in any doubt, use another tool for loosening bolts.

The majority of fasteners in use on the average car will be seized to some degree due to the affects of age and corrosion, and to use a precision instrument to undo these will result in the loss of accuracy of said instrument.

If you wish to misuse your torque wrench and adversely affect it's calibration that is one thing, but it's not good practice, and it shouldn't be advocated

Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 5th July 2020 at 11:59.. Reason: Correcting an incorrect use of language, thank you Simon
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 09:10   #29
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:

All four of my torque wrenches have the reversal facility and don't tell me that this is for left hand threads!

Simon

Well if they aren't used for that how would you accurately tighten a left hand threaded fastener then Simon?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 11:28   #30
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
However, if the bolt will not free within the maximum torque of the wrench, another tool should be used instead.
I agree with that. I have never said otherwise. I always "operate with caution" and would never use a torque wrench to slacken a fastener beyond its maximum torque and neither have I advocated it.

My point is that your original statement was that under no circumstances should a torque wrench be used for slackening:
Quote:
A torque wrench must never be used for slackening nuts ever.
On the contrary Norbar informs us that a torque wrench can be used for slackening.

Thank you Brian for providing me with the opportunity to put the record straight on this often misunderstood subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Well if they aren't used for that how would you accurately tighten a left hand threaded fastener then Simon?
Hi Mike,

You'll see from Norbar's document, to which I linked, that reversible torque wrenches can be used for left-hand threaded fasteners but not exclusively so (as Brian thought).

Simon