Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th July 2020, 12:24   #91
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question CV joints - possible cause of judder?

Re having a look at the CV joints.

Every now and then (not very often) the clutch will give a violent judder which is so extreme it nearly stops the engine. It only happens if the wheels are on a tight lock and the car is pulling away on a slight upward incline. I mentioned it in this thread - posts 6, 7, 12, 13, 15, 17 refer to it (post 15 is a second car with the same issue).

That's the main reason for taking the driveshafts off - to see if they're connected to this judder in any way. De-rusting & painting them was of secondary importance.

Last edited by Blink; 9th July 2020 at 12:52..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 14:01   #92
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Re having a look at the CV joints.

Every now and then (not very often) the clutch will give a violent judder which is so extreme it nearly stops the engine. It only happens if the wheels are on a tight lock and the car is pulling away on a slight upward incline. I mentioned it in this thread - posts 6, 7, 12, 13, 15, 17 refer to it (post 15 is a second car with the same issue).

That's the main reason for taking the driveshafts off - to see if they're connected to this judder in any way. De-rusting & painting them was of secondary importance.
The driveshafts won't be the cause of the clutch judder Simon.

However if you wish to replace the outer joints, or the boots, or simply the clips, the people to speak to are J&R trading in Birmingham

For example, a outer CV joint HERE I know your car is a V6, so simply enter your registration number on their site and you will get the correct part.

Brian

P.S. the old clips can't be reused
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 17:38   #93
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Push the circlip over the end of the shaft Ian, that is the way they are designed to work

Once the circlip is in the groove, pack around the clip with a small amount of grease and then centralise the circlip on the shaft.

This will allow the shaft to be entered into the differential without the circlip jamming and damaging the splines.

For those who have suggested a cable tie might be employed, may I ask a question..........how is the cable tie removed past the oil seal?, as the tie would need to remain in place until the shaft is entered into the differential gear

Brian
my circlip did not seem to spring back "closed" and was I thought a bit of a lose fit but I could not think of what else to do. I think it probably hung down a bit but the drive shaft did go in and a few thousand miles later has not given me any problem
Is it really essential to replace the circlip?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 18:31   #94
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
my circlip did not seem to spring back "closed" and was I thought a bit of a lose fit but I could not think of what else to do. I think it probably hung down a bit but the drive shaft did go in and a few thousand miles later has not given me any problem

macafee2
It's not essential to replace the shaft retaining circlip at at all, unless damaged Ian, I was referring to the CV boot clips for Simon

Brian
Old 9th July 2020, 19:05   #95
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2

I've heard of a few popping out Ian, but I have never replaced a circlip and never had any problems.

Once the drive shaft is fully home I give it a tug and if it doesn't pop out box the rest up.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 9th July 2020 at 21:16..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 21:19   #96
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Sorry a bit late to the party...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...s%2C249&sr=8-1

There was a post that you needed silly moneynforna single 32mm 3/4 socket.

Here's a whole set for £40

I've got this set. It's fuggly...but works. I've used it many times.

Edit...sorry this is the one I've got.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...s%2C249&sr=8-2
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 21:22   #97
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:

However if you wish to replace the outer joints, or the boots, or simply the clips, the people to speak to are J&R trading in Birmingham

For example, a outer CV joint HERE I know your car is a V6, so simply enter your registration number on their site and you will get the correct part.

Brian

I have re-used those clips in the past. To open them I slide the ends in opposite directions at the joint. The clip then springs apart.
To refit them I use a pair of tack removing pliers.

Line the ends up and close the pliers. They then hook together again.

However, I have used plastic cable ties successfully in the past also.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2020, 08:42   #98
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:

Brian

Thanks Brian. Those J&R prices are really good - £12.99 for 2 boots & 2 clips. - I'll definitely go there if I need clips and/or boots. The rain has finally stopped here today so I should able to get back out there and see what's needed.

What makes you say the driveshafts aren't the cause of the violent judder? Surely it has to be either the clutch or the driveshafts/CV joints. I can't think what else there is that would cause a judder that's so violent it can (and has) stopped the engine dead in a flash.

Last edited by Blink; 10th July 2020 at 10:13..
Old 10th July 2020, 08:54   #99
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Thanks Brian. Those J&R prices are really good - £12.99 for 2 boots & 2 clips. - I'll definitely go there if I need clips and/or boots. The rain has finally stopped here today so I should able to get back out there and see what's needed.

WBt what makes you say the drives shafts aren't the cause of the violent judder? Surely it has to be either the clutch or the drive shaft. I can't think what else there is that would cause a judder that's so violent it can (and has) stopped the engine dead in a flash.
It is much more likely to be clutch related, or a damaged gearbox mounting Simon.......especially the former I'd say

Brian
Old 10th July 2020, 09:09   #100
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
Sorry a bit late to the party...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...s%2C249&sr=8-1

There was a post that you needed silly moneynforna single 32mm 3/4 socket.

Here's a whole set for £40

I've got this set. It's fuggly...but works. I've used it many times.

Edit...sorry this is the one I've got.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...s%2C249&sr=8-2
Thanks but I only need these if I decide to buy a 3/4" torque wrench to handle the massive 360Nm required to fit new hub nuts. I haven't reached that stage yet so I'll make a decision later.