Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st September 2020, 16:50   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Needing help with a couple of jobs

My health is now putting a stop to my doing some of the more arduous jobs on the car, but I probably have work becoming due.....

My AC recently failed completely and I was aware the evaporator was shot, needing replacement, but now it seems to have lost all of its gas. So new evaporator fitted (at least) and a recharge.

I fully expect the outer sections of my brake pipes will fail its MOT a couple of months from now, just the last bits out to the wheels, the rest are as new.

I do have some facilities at home and I'm happy to give a hand, but....

I think I am nearest to BigRuss for the jobs, but don't know if he can tackle these jobs, I have only had him do my '160 ECU' mod.

Anyone know, or can make alternative suggestions please? I'm wary of local garages touching my pride and joy. If Jules were nearer to me, I suppose I could take a trip over to him with the caravan to stay in for a night whilst I was off the road with the work, if he had space at his place - just thinking aloud.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2020, 18:44   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Harry. Why don’t you phone Jules up and see if he would mind you parking you caravan on his property for a night or two while he works on your car? No harm in asking for a favour, you have done enough favours for quite a few in the club, so perhaps it’s payback time now. Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.
Old 1st September 2020, 21:49   #3
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Hi Harry,

I can thoroughly recommend Terry Shaw of TS Autos in South Shropshire - as can a number of other members.

He built our cars in Longbridge and knows every nut and bolt.
By the way your inbox is full!

All the best,

Nicholas/Zircon

Last edited by Zircon; 1st September 2020 at 21:58.. Reason: Additional message
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 05:56   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Harry. Why don’t you phone Jules up and see if he would mind you parking you caravan on his property for a night or two while he works on your car? No harm in asking for a favour, you have done enough favours for quite a few in the club, so perhaps it’s payback time now. Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.
I have emailed him, to see what he thinks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
Hi Harry,

I can thoroughly recommend Terry Shaw of TS Autos in South Shropshire - as can a number of other members.

He built our cars in Longbridge and knows every nut and bolt.
By the way your inbox is full!

All the best,

Nicholas/Zircon
He is a bit far, just for a couple of minor jobs, but thanks...

My inbox is not full - I have just checked and there was only one message in it?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 2nd September 2020, 08:07   #5
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I have emailed him, to see what he thinks..

He is a bit far, just for a couple of minor jobs, but thanks...

My inbox is not full - I have just checked and there was only one message in it?
Understood, of course - but certainly always worth the trip for a bigger job. I wonder why I got the inbox full message for you!
All the best, Nicholas/Zircon
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:39   #6
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

I no longer have a Rover 75 but I used MG Independent in Bradford for 3 years. Both time served and trained Rover mechanics. 01274 722533. They also used to have courtesy cars available as well. Looked after me well. Tell em Nick from Brighouse with the Wedgewood Blue Connie recommended them to you. They will also scavenge 2nd parts as well.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:00   #7
Xavier
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
Understood, of course - but certainly always worth the trip for a bigger job. I wonder why I got the inbox full message for you!
All the best, Nicholas/Zircon
Could it be something to do with club name in blue and not red?
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:34   #8
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
My health is now putting a stop to my doing some of the more arduous jobs on the car, but I probably have work becoming due.....

My AC recently failed completely and I was aware the evaporator was shot, needing replacement, but now it seems to have lost all of its gas. So new evaporator fitted (at least) and a recharge.

I fully expect the outer sections of my brake pipes will fail its MOT a couple of months from now, just the last bits out to the wheels, the rest are as new.

I do have some facilities at home and I'm happy to give a hand, but....

I think I am nearest to BigRuss for the jobs, but don't know if he can tackle these jobs, I have only had him do my '160 ECU' mod.

Anyone know, or can make alternative suggestions please? I'm wary of local garages touching my pride and joy. If Jules were nearer to me, I suppose I could take a trip over to him with the caravan to stay in for a night whilst I was off the road with the work, if he had space at his place - just thinking aloud.
I fully sympathise, Harry.
After working on my own vehicles for the last 54 years, I seem to be left in pain for days/ weeks after working on cars nowadays.
Trying my best not to give up, but three weeks ago swapped the wheels around on my wife's Fiesta. Still nursing a painful shoulder.
Last week I swapped the pollen filters under the glove box on my BMW. Painful ribs ever since.
It's no fun getting older but it happens to us all.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:03   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
I fully sympathise, Harry.
After working on my own vehicles for the last 54 years, I seem to be left in pain for days/ weeks after working on cars nowadays.
Trying my best not to give up, but three weeks ago swapped the wheels around on my wife's Fiesta. Still nursing a painful shoulder.
Last week I swapped the pollen filters under the glove box on my BMW. Painful ribs ever since.
It's no fun getting older but it happens to us all.
I know where you are coming from. Since I got to be an octogenarian I find if I do to much of anything, I ache for days.
I am just changing the pencil coils on the KV6, rear bank. Leaning over the side of the car bonnet trying to get at them, quite tight to reach them. Had trouble getting the plug off number 4 plug because the holding clip was partly broken. Managed it in the end and am now waiting for the arrival of a set of 6 coils and spark plugs from DMGRS, which should have arrived within 2/3 days instead of the usual 3/5 days, absolutely nothing to do with DMGRS, the parcel went round the country and the packaging was destroyed somewhere along the line and has to be re-packed before being delivered tomorrow. They better hope there is no damage to anything in the package. I only needed one for number 4 cylinder but decided to change them all, along with the plugs. Going round kicking the cat now. So I am expecting to feel sore round the ribs when I have finished.
Old 4th September 2020, 06:43   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Jules agrees he has the space for me/us to camp, whilst he does the work and has given me an idea of the cost (reasonable), the only issue is the distance.