Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th September 2020, 13:04   #1
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Default All Creatures Great and Small - stunning vintage Rover 😊

Hi All,

Just started watching the new adaptation of All Creatures Great and Small on Channel 5. It's pure escapism for these troubled times - glorious footage of the Yorkshire Dales!

Just as importantly, the irascible vet, Siegfried Farnon drives a 1940s sports tourer which I am pretty sure is a Rover 12 Sports Tourer (not the P4 75 as in the original BBC series).

I never realised that Rover had made such beautiful sports car - it's only in episode 2 that they refer to Siegfried's Rover - there was I thinking it was an MG!

Go feast your eyes on what must surely be a very rare car��.

All the best,

Nicholas/Zircon

Last edited by Zircon; 12th September 2020 at 13:11.. Reason: Typo!
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2020, 14:53   #2
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

Here it is & I must add that I'm really enjoying this remake too.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2020, 14:57   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

We watched the first episode, wondering if it was going to be a poor copy of the previous but it looks great with some excellent casting and acting in great surroundings (guess where I came from originally?)! The cars are a delight and I can remember cars and owners just like the ones shown. Dad used to deliver bleach and firelighters around the Yorkshire farms and village stores in the fifties and sixties and always carried a 5 gallon drum of spare petrol in the back (with the bleach and firelighters!!!) just in case we got snowed in! I remember a tyre blowing and having to wheel the flat for about three miles to the next farm where we borrowed a wheel and tyre, returning it the following week after getting a replacement (from the scrapyard!). The farmer's wife supplied tea and bacon sandwiches too! We must have looked a sight!

One of my teachers had a similar car and I learned to polish on it when I hadn't done my homework, which was often as I preferred the washing and polishing! Those headlights were a struggle to keep clean in the Yorkshire winters and I cut my fingers to ribbons getting those grill fins nice and shiny!

Last edited by roverbarmy; 12th September 2020 at 15:08..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2020, 15:41   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

One of my former teachers has a beautifully restored Rover 16 Drophead Tickford. Will try to find a photo.

As for the new series , I think it is better than the first, which was pretty good itself. As someone who has had four pekingese the current Tricky-Woo is a far better quality dog - you can tell by the size of the black mask!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2020, 15:52   #5
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Lovely to read your reactions and local insights too!

Isn't the late and greatly missed Diana Rigg wonderful as Mrs Pumphrey in episode 2?

Would love to know how the production company sourced the tourer. Would be wonderful if it could make a guest appearance at a future National meet? ��

Cheers, Nicholas/Zircon

Last edited by Zircon; 12th September 2020 at 16:34.. Reason: Typo!
Old 12th September 2020, 16:10   #6
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
We watched the first episode, wondering if it was going to be a poor copy of the previous but it looks great with some excellent casting and acting in great surroundings (guess where I came from originally?)! The cars are a delight and I can remember cars and owners just like the ones shown. Dad used to deliver bleach and firelighters around the Yorkshire farms and village stores in the fifties and sixties and always carried a 5 gallon drum of spare petrol in the back (with the bleach and firelighters!!!) just in case we got snowed in! I remember a tyre blowing and having to wheel the flat for about three miles to the next farm where we borrowed a wheel and tyre, returning it the following week after getting a replacement (from the scrapyard!). The farmer's wife supplied tea and bacon sandwiches too! We must have looked a sight!

One of my teachers had a similar car and I learned to polish on it when I hadn't done my homework, which was often as I preferred the washing and polishing! Those headlights were a struggle to keep clean in the Yorkshire winters and I cut my fingers to ribbons getting those grill fins nice and shiny!
Wonderful anecdote - may be you have a book and TV spinoff series in you too!

On another note, always delighted to read a post by an owner of a Cowley Zircon KV6 auto - mine was made in 1999 too (though registered the following April) 😊

Cheers, Nicholas/Zircon
Old 12th September 2020, 17:16   #7
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Here it is & I must add that I'm really enjoying this remake too.

Just looked the registration up on the DVLA - the car was first registered in March 1935 - surely one of the first?!

All the best,

Nicholas/Zircon
Old 12th September 2020, 18:49   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

I think I've found it Nicholas!

Searching through my copy of Eric Dymock's book "Rover, The First Ninety Years" I came across this:

"Some Speed Fourteen Sports Tourers wree made as jaunty open four-seaters with cutaway doors. They were more refined than most sports cars of the period, although less fast and no more than 150 were made between 1933 and 1936."

I particularly like: "... more refined than most sports cars of the period, although less fast ...". Well of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
... surely one of the first?!
The first Rover car dates from about 1905.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 12th September 2020 at 18:59..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2020, 19:05   #9
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Lovely..

I knew about the series early in the year, my friend Stephanie is one of the support actors, she's always tight lipped about the sets but she did say it was going to be amazing. I think we're in for a treat!
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2020, 21:24   #10
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I think I've found it Nicholas!

Searching through my copy of Eric Dymock's book "Rover, The First Ninety Years" I came across this:

"Some Speed Fourteen Sports Tourers wree made as jaunty open four-seaters with cutaway doors. They were more refined than most sports cars of the period, although less fast and no more than 150 were made between 1933 and 1936."

I particularly like: "... more refined than most sports cars of the period, although less fast ...". Well of course!

The first Rover car dates from about 1905.

Simon
Thanks so much for your fascinating research, Simon 😊

All the best,

Nicholas/Zircon