Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th July 2020, 23:13   #1
Rollo_Somerset

Rover 75 saloon

Default Problem when starting

My KV6 has recently developed a problem when starting. It starts normally but within about 30 seconds struggles to keep idling. Sounds like a starvation problem but fuel flow is ok. Thought also it may be one of the controllers in the throttle body but I have taken them out, like the Idle Control sensor and cleaned them up where I could. Once the engine seems to run for a bit, albeit roughly, the revs pick up and it idles normally. Which made me think a sensor could be the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rollo_Somerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 20:43   #2
Chunky2778
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo_Somerset View Post
My KV6 has recently developed a problem when starting. It starts normally but within about 30 seconds struggles to keep idling. Sounds like a starvation problem but fuel flow is ok. Thought also it may be one of the controllers in the throttle body but I have taken them out, like the Idle Control sensor and cleaned them up where I could. Once the engine seems to run for a bit, albeit roughly, the revs pick up and it idles normally. Which made me think a sensor could be the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Maybe a coolant temperature sensor fault?

Any smoke etc out the back?
Chunky2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 07:53   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like a starvation problem but fuel flow is ok.
Fuel pressure might not be sufficient though Arthur. Do you have the later type of filter which requires the "orange" clip?

Simon
Old 9th July 2020, 08:27   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
I would agree with either a CTS problem, or a MAP/IAT sensor problem.

When the car is first started, the fuelling is said to be in open loop, when the engine warms the ECM reverts to closed loop fuelling and under lambda control to maintain a 14.7:1 stoichiometric mix.

Try and obtain a fault code reader, the ECM will likely report any issues relating to fuelling.

Your car if a 2001 model will not be fitted, nor affected by fuel filter separation, so any reference to clips on the filter housing can be discounted as a causal factor

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote