Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st August 2020, 21:28   #1
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default Thanks to Lates600

Just like to thank Leighton and Paul for giving me and two friends a master class in timing belts replacement today on the KV6
They had it stripped down in no time at all. The belts were last changed in 2009, so 11 years and around 80,000 miles covered. I have to say I was surprised at the condition of the timing belts, especially the the two rear belts. They looked new. No wear on the teeth. No cracking when the belts were folded backwards or forwards between the teeth. The large timing belt , although at first appearances seem the same, when the belt was folded teeth inwards, slight cracking began to appear on the smooth outer side. The teeth were ok and no cracking when bent backwards. The worst one was the auxiliary belt, which as usual, was beginning to crack on the ribbed side when bent backwards.This was also 11 years old. They had all been fitted by Lates in 2009.
One of the things that Leighton pointed out to me while dismantling the parts to do the belts was...................when my son had a new alternator fitted, about 4 years ago, the garage that fitted it, ran the belt the wrong way round the idler from the alternator to the crankshaft.Over the top of the idler instead of inside the idler then outwards to the crankshaft.No wonder it used to make a noise louder than usual. He also showed me that the reason there was a clunk when putting it in Drive , was because the teardrop lower engine mount had given up the ghost.I thought it was a solenoid fault in the gearbox.Also, after using a different m.o.t. test Centre for the first time in around 30 years, Lates also showed me that one of the rear wishbone mounts had also gone to their maker. No advisory was recorded. Yea I know, it might not have been in that condition at the mot the end of June, but this one really had gone.
Old 1st August 2020, 23:21   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
The belts were last changed in 2009, so 11 years and around 80,000 miles covered. I have to say I was surprised at the condition of the timing belts ... They looked new.
Thank you David for sharing your experience with us. It closely matches mine (19 years and 90,000 miles).

Best wishes,

Simon
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:15   #3
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

I can highly recommend Leighton he was the only guy to touch my 75 and always did a superb job at a good price. Funnily enough was only talking to him Friday about my XJ6. Even though I travelled from South Wales to Coventry it was always worth the trip.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:44   #4
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Lates & Pete know what their doing and can be relied on not to cut corners .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:01   #5
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

So do we conclude that the 90,000 miles or 6 years is overly pessimistic ?
The belts on my ZT were done in 2014, and have done about 15,000 miles - I shall probably give them another year or so.
The belts on my 75 were also done in 2014 but have not done 500 miles (regularly started and exercised but not used) - not sure what to do in this case.

Any thoughts?
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:44   #6
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
So do we conclude that the 90,000 miles or 6 years is overly pessimistic ?
Any thoughts?
That's the right question to ask Malcolm. David's belts "looked new" after 11 years (80,000 miles) and mine showed no signs of wear after 19 years (90,000 miles) so what's your conclusion from that evidence?

I discovered that it's actually the tensioner and idler pulley bearings which pose the threat. They won't wear unless rotating so do that on a mileage basis. We need more evidence to determine approximately when that should be.

Simon
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:28   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Just to balance things out a little, it's worth noting that over on his Facebook page, Lates has a photo of a 6 yr old main belt (Gates) which he was replacing.

The belt was well short of the 90K miles, but looked in a sorry state and may not have lasted that much longer.

At the end of the day, I guess it's up to each one of us to make our own decision, based on how much we love the car, and how much we can afford / want to spend on it .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:22   #8
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Lates has a photo of a 6 yr old main belt (Gates) which he was replacing. The belt was well short of the 90K miles, but looked in a sorry state ...
You're right Cliff, we should indeed pay much attention to the few cases where a belt is found in the condition you mention. It's crucial that the cause of the damage is investigated but it seldom is. The tensioner pulley set-up procedure is not widely publicised and is vital for correct belt tension and therefore maximum service life (which we know is at least 90,000 miles).

Simon
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:28   #9
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thank you David for sharing your experience with us. It closely matches mine (19 years and 90,000 miles).

Best wishes,

Simon
Think I can hear the clump clump of a T-shirted Geordies boots getting ever closer to the keyboard
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:37   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Think I can hear the clump clump of a T-shirted Geordies boots getting ever closer to the keyboard

I doubt it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk