Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2020, 09:29   #21
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Definitely belled it through.
I'll definitely bleed it (thoroughly!) - can't have any old fluid flying about the system.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 12:35   #22
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Any tips to access the master?

After getting side-tracked on various other bits I'm finally getting round to the master cylinder.

Who decided to put the darned thing here!

I can just about reach the white cap with two fingers but that's about it!

Post 3 here has the following HowTo involving a long screwdriver and a Gunson Eezibleed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve 135+ View Post
Hi this is my little 'how to'
Gunson Eezibleed from Halfords £20

1 Bleeding kit (above is best)
2 1 long (10 to 12 in) flat ended screwdriver
3 1 empty plastic bottle
4 1 12mm spanner
5 1 8mm spanner
6 1 good light or torch
7 1 little mirror
8 1 foot pump or compressor (this is for the kit as it works from your spare tyre)
9 1 syringe
10 some old rags/towels and a roll a of kitchen paper

How to, first remove engine top cover, you will see the slave cylinder bleed nipple on the end of a black pipe just above the gearbox, first put the 8mm ring spanner onto nipple then put one of the plastic tubes (out of the kit) on to the bleed nipple and the other end into the plastic bottle, to collect old fluid.

Now inside the car, first thing is to remove the trim, unscrew the two screws just at each side of the diagnostics port, then the two big plastic screws one at the back of the accelerator pedal and the other between the brake and clutch pedal.

Now remove the under trim, you will see that the trim just under the steering column is loose give this a pull and it will come away (held on with 3 clips) now with your torch and on your back look up above the clutch pedal you will see the master cylinder with a little reservoir on top with a white cap, at this time place the old rags/towels around the bottom of the clutch pedal area.

Take the long screwdriver and pushing the side of the cap unscrewing it, remove cap, now there’s a little rubber condom inside the reservoir remove this (do-not cut this as some will say to do, there’s no need) now follow the instructions with the kit (easy).

When bleeding the system put a full bottle of fluid through, this will replace all of the old fluid and any contaminants in the system.

When replacing the rubber condom now put loads of kitchen paper around the clutch pedal and under the master cylinder, using your torch and little mirror if you use the syringe with a plastic tube on the end and empty the reservoir a little, about 10 to 20cc.

Replace the rubber condom and cap using long screwdriver to tighten (do-not over tighten) you can mop up any fluid spills, refit trim/engine cover, job done good luck, Steve.
Has anyone found a better way of doing it?
Old 16th October 2020, 13:15   #23
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

You don't have to use a bleed kit you can do it the old fashioned way. I use a vacuum pump because it is easier and I have one.

Also got the GhettoTech easy fill and level indicator fitted currently, as the fluid level has been dropping of late. Looks like it is time to replace the slave cylinder again.

Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 13:21   #24
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
You don't have to use a bleed kit you can do it the old fashioned way. I use a vacuum pump because it is easier and I have one.

Also got the GhettoTech easy fill and level indicator fitted currently, as the fluid level has been dropping of late. Looks like it is time to replace the slave cylinder again.
I don't have a vacuum pump Mike - have you got a link to a suitable one? (I don't fancy trying to syphon it out and getting a mouthful of fluid )

And a link to the GhettoTech?
Old 16th October 2020, 14:26   #25
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
After getting side-tracked on various other bits I'm finally getting round to the master cylinder.

Who decided to put the darned thing here!

I can just about reach the white cap with two fingers but that's about it!

Post 3 here has the following HowTo involving a long screwdriver and a Gunson Eezibleed.

Has anyone found a better way of doing it?
Nope. Obviously only my opinion / experience

The easibleed is...well easy and singlehanded. Overall I think it's quicker and will put through more fluid in a more controlled way.

As said you could do the old fashioned way and with 2 of you. But it's a nause, tightening the nipple, plopping a few mm into the cylinder yada, yada, yada.

Frenchmike pioneered the reverse bleed. Worth a search
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 07:22   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I don't have a vacuum pump Mike - have you got a link to a suitable one? (I don't fancy trying to syphon it out and getting a mouthful of fluid )

And a link to the GhettoTech?
I use a similar one to this Simon - cheap but does the job. Also handy for testing the EGR valve on the diesels.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Hand-...kAAOSwyyZdoCK2

As for the GhettoTech I just use the term for anything made up from scrap and bits laying around the garage.
Made a few bits and pieces over the years to help with working on our cars. Here's a puller for removing a seized gear linkage from a Freelander. I made the right hand G clamp over 40 years ago during my apprenticeship.

A universal cam wheel holder:

And a diesel injector leakback kit:

Last edited by Mike Noc; 17th October 2020 at 08:46..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 12:02   #27
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Must admit, having done it a few times, I never struggled with it, but I suspect the reverse bleed is probably easier....

Reverse bleed is pumping fluid in from the slave bleed nipple end, so it comes out at the master. The top needs to be removed and the carpet well covered against the overflow of fluid. You can buy very large syringes to do it this, and adapt them with a bit of rubber pipe.

The method I have always used, the normal method - is a large syringe and a long tube down into the master to keep it topped up, as the system is bled.

I use a length of wood and a hammer, to gently tap the master cap loose and then make a large hole in the middle of the rubber condom, as it no longer serves much purpose.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 14:41   #28
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Pump into MC and out through gold connector?

Thanks for the advice & info chaps - all duly noted.

I haven't got a bleed nipple because it's on the slave, which isn't connected yet* - so I can't pump fluid back up the bleed pipe to the master cylinder. (* The gearbox is still out because it was easier to replace the brake pipes without it.)

All I've got is this gold connector on the end of the MC outlet pipe:

So it seems to me the best thing to do is hook a Gunson Eezibleed up to the MC and force all the old fluid out via the gold connector.

What do you all think?

Btw, I've already got a Sealey VS820 which could be used instead of a Gunson. It doesn't need a spare tyre but it has this chunky metal attachment which will need more clearance above & around the MC to get it screwed on.

I reckon it needs 6cm clearance above the MC and around 7.5cm to the side.

Hmm.

Last edited by Blink; 17th October 2020 at 15:00..
Old 17th October 2020, 18:37   #29
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Sorry only a quick reply...heading out.

I think frenchmike or maybe Mike Noc(?) Knocked up something from the the old slave cylinder. Cut the two pipes and joins the connector and the nipple into one.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 05:01   #30
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I would like to add a real bright l led torch with a magnet so you can fasten it in different locations under the dash and put something on your left arm to cover your wrists.
A small elbow support bandage is ideal.
And a bucket near by to kick now and then if it's your first time