Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd October 2020, 08:05   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Several days after the incident a low loader arrived at my house to collect the car. I knew nothing about this and the driver produced a document saying that the company he worked for had purchased the car from the insurance company. I refused to let him have the car and while he was there contacted my insurance company. They had apparently written my car off and sold it on and apparently my cheque was in the post.

I explained to the helpful person that this was the first I had heard of it and I wanted to keep the car.

Apparently the car had been inspected and written off. Needless to say the person who was supposed to be collecting the car was disappointed and I bought it off the insurance company. It cost me £380 to repair and some how the car avoided having any classification put on the V5.

You need to be careful as I have heard of cars being removed with out the owners knowledge, they will smash the windows and put a chain through it to take it.

Speak to your insurance company ASAP and get in writing from them what ever you arrange with them.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:55   #12
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

One of your comments was regarding the contact details of Hastings which as has been mentioned is a broker. You can ensure that your notification to them of the incident is officially logged is to write to their published address on the policy documents. Detailing your version, together with your preferences regarding settlement, recorded and signed for, of course.
The 3rd party's promptness is encouraging and refreshing.
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:54   #13
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post

Now it's most likely the end result will be the insurer will want to write off the car. I've never personally had one written off so I'm not 100% sure how write off markers work, as I've seen many cases where the insurers have stated they want to write the car off, and if you wish to keep the car they offer a write off value pay out - a small sum to keep the car, without any write off marker put on against the car.

It cost me £380 to repair and some how the car avoided having any classification put on the V5.

Last year my Volvo was written off after an uninsured driver ran a red light and hit mine. I went through this with Tesco who were brilliant. The car was inspected at home and they agreed without any hassle to me keeping it and fixing it and it was classed as a Cat N. This stands for non structural damage and there is nothing put on the V5 or for the earlier marker that covers non structural damage. If the car has structural damage then the relevant marker will be put on the V5. You are however required to inform any prospective insurer (who will know anyway as it is logged on the insurance base systems) or you will invalidate any cover given or be refused and you must inform any prospective purchaser.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 13:13   #14
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I've had 2 cars written off, and retained them
1) Quite some time back my 800 was reversed into when I was sitting at lights at B&Q Sheffield. (Not my fault). Van in front of me decided to change lanes, reversed and smashhed my ns headlamp (glass one). Also a slight crease on the edge of the bonnet.I rang my insurance whilst at work in London; they said they would send it to the local repairer for assesment. Iinsisted I wanted to keep it whatever. The truck took it - big mistake. Persistant phone calls to the insurance but I could not get it released. The bodyshop however was helpful, they knew what I wanted but couldn't release until told too. They did eventually and call saying they would deliver in 20mins! I grabbed the chance, and while they were coming I got on to the insurance; meanwhile the car was dropped off. Insurance said - not released yet. I walked (5mins) to the local scrapyard, purchased a headlight and enquired about a bonnet. Yes they said, just put one in that skip, we'll get it for you. I walked back home, got the wife, and together we carried it home. 15 mins later the headlamp and bonnet were on, cost was about £25? Later that afternoon the insurance rang, said the car is released, we'll get the bodyshop to deliver it. I told them not to bother, I've already got the car back AND repaired it!
2)Last year, again not my fault, my blue 75 had a minor scrape on the osr wheelarch. By the time I got home & rang my insurance, the errant van driver had confessed his fault to his insurance. Told them I wanted the car. To cut a long story short, a promised repair on the drive became a bodyshop job, too expensive for them, so a write off. I demanded the money and keep the car. In short that cost me about £30 off the original price they offered, I checked with a local (very good) bodyshop that restores classics, the estimate was 1/2 the insurer's price!
As it happens, I didn't get it done as a camshaft seal popped out and I lost my oil so I scrapped it for spares.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote