Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th August 2020, 23:29   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default The old tin worm has struck my sills

Hi and hope you're all well,
This weekend i got the old car in for a general engine service at my local garage. After a couple of hours i got the phone call to say it's all done. Driving off i had that nice feeling of having a good car of it being serviced and went home. As the feel good factor was there i decided to give it a clean up and general check up underneath the car,and to my horror i discovered the dreaded tin worm had taken a fancy to my sill. Reading posts here this problem mostly strikes the rear section of our cars but mine has struck, up at the front directly underneath the wing.
The hole i managed to push through is about the size of a 50p coin but will no doubt be bigger if i look hard enough.
Feeling totally dissolutioned and negative i made a snap decision to call it day with this car and move on to something a bit newer, with the thinking that once the tin worm starts its an mpossible battle to win.
Today i went on a new car hunting spree with a budget of around 2k.
After viewing a host of small cars that were anything between 5 to 10 years newer than my rover i was shocked to see how shoddy they were. On top they looked reasonably good, but underneath the rust was absolutely shocking on some of them. It really put some perspective on how well the trusty rover has held up over the years of ownership. So tonight after some hard thinking i decided to hang on to 75 and get the sill repaired.
In hindsight its been the best car I've ever had, and has served me well over the last 8 years. There's been very few problems to contend with and selling it on when its worth next to nothing is crazy, especially as its mechanically perfect and still looks amazing. It would be a crying shame to let it go for peanuts to someone who will probably run it into the ground as a cheap hack.
These cars are at a turning point now were there at there lowest resealable value, but i really do think there values will increase soon due to their increasing rarity and interest amongst a bygone manufacturer of Rover.
So i think it's time to bite the bullet and invest in my trusty 75 and give it some TLC and repay it back for the good service and enjoyment it's given me over the years
All the very best,
Johnny