Notices

Old 23rd February 2015, 16:27   #11
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
Are you getting damp on wall items, such as picture frames?

I rent out a few houses, and damp is often caused by lack of ventilation and not using heating.

Windows slightly open, bedroom doors open heating set on low using the thermostat, after using HG mould remover spray

Simon
No picture frames are fine, the windows are opened everyday, the rooms are BIG so plenty of room for the air to ciculate. It's en endless task of mould removal, clean it, repainting with anti mould paint9+, lasts for a few months then it comes back arghhhh"!!!!
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:52   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I'll throw this in for someone to comment on.
Have you a chimney and are the fire places blocked up? Do the chimney pots have "covers/roofs " on the top to stop the vertical rain from going straight down the chimney.
If you have chimneys and the fire places are blocked up I think they need to be opened somewhat to aid ventilation.

can someone in the know please advise on my post

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:15   #13
steve811
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE

You might want to see this:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/new...ghted_by_damp/

It does not put the industry in a good light, but saying that we had it done three years ago, I made sure I quizzed the surveyor and I made sure he knew what he was talking about before he recommended it and I also made sure I knew the property was suitable (1970 semi).
steve811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:28   #14
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Gerry Miller was in a meeting with us last week. Genuine man.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:31   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this Anna.

When it comes to cavity wall insulation, I couldn't be paid to have it installed in my home, regardless of how much money I could potentially save in heating it.

It is a different matter for houses intended to be built with CWI in place, but I can see the results of people in the surrounding area who have had this work carried out.

My own house was built in 1972, and fortunately not with the rubbish LBC sand faced fletton bricks of some houses in my street.

The poor unfortunates who's homes were built with these bricks and have had CWI installed, are now facing the prospect of frost damage to the exterior of their homes.

Houses need to "breath" and to fill the gap designed to prevent water permeation from each leaf of Brick/block with blown glass fibre of other insulation material to me doesn't make sense.

I would say both Dave "Stocktake" and perhaps Al "Doc Evil" would be the best people to advise you, being experts in this field.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:51   #16
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I'll throw this in for someone to comment on.
Have you a chimney and are the fire places blocked up? Do the chimney pots have "covers/roofs " on the top to stop the vertical rain from going straight down the chimney.
If you have chimneys and the fire places are blocked up I think they need to be opened somewhat to aid ventilation.

can someone in the know please advise on my post

macafee2
There were originally 2 chimeys and breasts in the house, one in the middle (shared with next door) and one on the gable end. The gable end chimney has been removed as has the breast in the upper bedroom where the mould is the absolute worse. The middle chimney which is still there but blocked is fine. Plus nothing has changed with the chimney's in the last 15 years so I don't think they would have anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve811 View Post
You might want to see this:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/new...ghted_by_damp/

It does not put the industry in a good light, but saying that we had it done three years ago, I made sure I quizzed the surveyor and I made sure he knew what he was talking about before he recommended it and I also made sure I knew the property was suitable (1970 semi).
Ooft! Thankfully mine isn't that bad yet but I'm really reluctant to let my 4yo and 1yo sleep in that bedroom, so we;re all in mine. Which has mould too.
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:58   #17
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

my house is an 80's build and I noticed the more I insulate the more mould appears. It really does need to breathe. Things like insulated curtains at the front door just made that area wet. If the house isn't designed for modern insulation it wont accept it very well.
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:03   #18
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboy View Post
my house is an 80's build and I noticed the more I insulate the more mould appears. It really does need to breathe. Things like insulated curtains at the front door just made that area wet. If the house isn't designed for modern insulation it wont accept it very well.
My house is nearly 100 years old it's roasting hot (except one bedroom which would make your teeth rattle) but I wish I'd just bought more jumpers.
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:12   #19
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
My house is nearly 100 years old it's roasting hot (except one bedroom which would make your teeth rattle) but I wish I'd just bought more jumpers.
I believe the bay city rollers are endorsing this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:22   #20
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Lets get one thing straight. The correct material installed correctly in a property that meets the installation criteria is perfectly fine.

Where the problem lies is the historical regulation of the industry, lack of training and people being on a bonus scheme.

This is what gives the industry a bad name.

Latest thing is EWI, taking off big style. grants available through many local authorities and yet the system designers are still working on install methods.
We were still going through the final draft of the gas flue guidance Document for approval earlier this month by the HHIC. This still hasn't been issued. Yet there are hundreds/thousands of property's having it installed already.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 24th February 2015 at 17:40..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote