Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th January 2014, 08:25   #1
Yozza64
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Club SE

Default How Many Plenums on a Rover 75

Hi I'm after some advice and it may sound a daft question to most of you on here, but having never owned a Rover 75 before its a new learning curve for me. My question is this how many Plenums does the Rover 75 have, and any pictures showing the locations would be a very big help, as I collect my new car tomorrow morning.

I know that the main one is basically in the centre of the bulkhead by the pollen filter/ECU. Where is the locations of any others that I need to check.

Also what am I best using to clean them out with. I have seen the flexible drain cleaner but I am concerned about the corkscrew bit on the very end causing damage to the plenum. I was also thinking of using an old sponge cut down to stop any leaves/**** entering where the main centre plenum is. Would I be ok doing this.

Last edited by Yozza64; 13th January 2014 at 08:29..
Yozza64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 08:33   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza64 View Post
Hi I'm after some advice on how many Plenums the Rover 75 has, and any pictures showing the locations would be a very big help, as I collect my new car tomorrow morning.

I know that the main one is basically in the centre of the bulkhead by the pollen filter/ECU. Where is the locations of any others that I need to check.

Also what am I best using to clean them out with. I have seen the flexible drain cleaner but I am concerned about the corkscrew bit on the very end causing damage to the plenum. I was also thinking of using an old sponge cut down to stop any leaves/**** entering where the main centre plenum is. Would I be ok doing this.
The filter + ECU is on the N/S, the wiper motor and brake servo is on the O/S.

There is one full width plenum, although on early cars it was partitioned into two sides by a low lip.

To clean them, you need a rod with some flexibility. The N/S can be cleaned out via the top, but the O/S has to be tackled from below.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 09:07   #3
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza64 View Post
Hi I'm after some advice and it may sound a daft question to most of you on here, but having never owned a Rover 75 before its a new learning curve for me. My question is this how many Plenums does the Rover 75 have, and any pictures showing the locations would be a very big help, as I collect my new car tomorrow morning.

The usual fix is to fit some sort of mesh over the TOP drain hole on the passenger side to stop leaves from having a path into the Plenum chamber
and to fit a nice plastic trap made by JULES on the drivers side. Unless you are unlucky enough to have the Plenum chamber with a partition in the centre then, really, it is the passenger side which is most important since that will drain the whole area. If you do the 'spyhole mod' you will be able to check and clean very easily.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 09:50   #4
Yozza64
Loves to post

How would I go about ordering the plastic trap off Jules. Can not find the link for it lol.
Old 13th January 2014, 09:54   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

It's in Jules' shop, you'll find it here.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 10:09   #6
Yozza64
Loves to post

So what do most people use to poke the plenum drain holes with
Old 13th January 2014, 10:43   #7
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

The main one you have to worry about is below the windscreen scuttle on the passenger side of the car on a RHD.

I used a length of 10mm cable.

Here are some photo's that might be of help.

Your Pollen Filter is in there aswell which should be changed annually.

Ciao.
Old 13th January 2014, 11:13   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I use a sink unblocking wire with the 'pigs tail' cut off the end. When rodding the tube be careful not to push the rubber tube/drain down through it's seating. For this reason I use the smaller spring.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 20:30   #9
cossiejay
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

blasted mine with a power hose
cossiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 20:32   #10
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts