Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th September 2020, 22:07   #21
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Your absolutely right. I was also surprised at how thin the outer metal is on the outer sill. I can't see how it would actually give any structural strength to the car either. Personally this week I've learnt something new about keeping old cars on the road. Never look at all the problems at once with them. If you do, you only drive yourself into total despair and end up feeling like throwing the towel in and getting rid.
Taking a step back and a deep breath does wonders sometimes. Having the mindset of tackling one job at time and reading 75/ZT members advice has really helped,
I thankyou all
Old 8th September 2020, 22:24   #22
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Well it's been in the Garage today to get its sill sorted out. I'm no expert by any means but it now looks really good and judging by all the pictures they've taken, they've done a thorough professional job. Tomorrow it's being painted so should have it back later on tomorrow. I'm trying desperately to see how to upload the pictures but for the life of me can't see any options to do it. The hole turned out to be a a little bigger but thankfully it didn't spread into the inner sill. It's all been cut back to clean metal and new metal work fabricated and welded in. I feel comfortable with this garage who did the job. The cars they are currently working on are eye-wateringly expensive classic cars and having a look around them you can see the quality of work that's been put into them.
In fact it felt somewhat embarrassing presenting for old rover to them to be welded, but the staff and owner where very nice and enthusiastic towards my car as they are towards to Bentley and Rolls Royce they've got.
Well done to the guys at Oswestry Classic car sales
Hi John. Nice to see you are still ‘hanging out’ in the club with your Rover. I think that you have made the right decision by far. I now have my son’s Rover Connie SE KV6 2.5. He decided after 10 years to get rid (eeekkk) of it in exchange for an Audi Q5 last September. The tax was up along with the mot and the belts needed changing(10years old). Needed a new track rod. He was told by the Audi dealer that he could not offer anything on the car as all that would happen was it would be put into auction and they would have costs associated with that option. He said he would see if he could get some knocked off with his gaffer. I spoke to him on the phone about three months ago and he said that he misses the sound and the kick in the back at 3000 revs of the Rover. Asking him how he was getting on with theQ5 and he said ’its alright’. Not much of a recommendation is it. If you had decided to get rid of yours, I think you would have regretted it every time you spotted a Rover 75. Will have to have a run upto Llangollen and meet you half way sometime.Never have been round the old house up the hill yet.
Old 8th September 2020, 22:56   #23
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Nice to hear from you David "You know" call me a sentimental old fool but when it came to the crunch the other day where I was just about to buy another car and inevitably sell the Rover, i just couldn't do it. I didn't feel excited or enthusiastic about the new car and i felt gutted that my trusty rover would be leaving me and most probably fall into the hands of someone who would run it into the ground as a cheap hack.
I am so glad now that I've decided to keep it and work through the issues with the sills. These last few months the amount of positive comments ive had by strangers about the car has been unreal. Obviously that's not the reason for keeping the Rover, but it does prove what a lovely car these are. As there's less and less of them about nowadays seeing a good one makes them stand out from the dreary offerings of modern cars. It would be a shame to condemn mine to abuse as a cheap knock around motor to someone who just wants a cheap car.
Another thing that made me feel sad at the prospect of letting it go is of all the great memories and adventures we have been on. I totally understand its just a piece of metal, but when you think back of all the little jobs of improving it and the countless times you've glanced back at it with an admiring look, i just couldn't part with it when it came to the crunch