Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th January 2018, 02:48   #1
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Love and hate relationship.

Hiya all Lordy needs pep talk and advise on what too do next.

Its about my Christine 75/ZT, I've owned Christine for for a long period of time and no denying its been a great car and she's taken me there and everywhere I've done my fair share of Mileage in her since.

How ever I can't deny either how much this car has cost in terms of money either too keep her going, Last few weeks I've had spend yet again and recently as well.

Its costing me money where I'm trying too save then boom back too square one again.

I have Thought about stripping her too bits as others can use the parts That's on there too keep there cars going, But also I kinda want too see if she'll behave after spending and see where we go from there.

These Diesels Are bomb proof thank you BMW, Mechanically its sound but suspension parts and silly little things the typical stuff just don't seem too last.

It stems from then quality of the parts which don't help maters what so ever.

I love the car like anything like people there are cars out there that many of us would go the great lenhts too keep it going and spend when ever anything comes up.

I've done this for a good long while now, There cars I do want too own as well and well one of them would have too go if I did.

Unless I was able too find storage.

Really don't know what too do at this point, She's a great car and at the same time putting big hole in my pocket when something goes wrong.

What would you do if you were me?

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Last edited by Lordy; 11th January 2018 at 03:07..
Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 05:09   #2
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

It all depends on your finances .If you need a cheap reliable car for commuting find a small petrol car .Drive it steady and keep costs to a minimum .As for Christine .I would cut my losses .Its about needs and wants .You need a cheap reliable car .
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 05:19   #3
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
It all depends on your finances .If you need a cheap reliable car for commuting find a small petrol car .Drive it steady and keep costs to a minimum .As for Christine .I would cut my losses .Its about needs and wants .You need a cheap reliable car .
Finances has taken a bit of a hit recently since having the car back I've bought tyres for the front which set me back £150 quid also £180 quid for the Crank pulley and alternator belt as well.

Plus there's a small amount of fluid leak coming from the gearbox which I suspect is the slave cylinder on its way out.

I upgraded it too the metal slave cylinder and still didn't last as long as the LUK slave did.

As the saying goes better the devil you know I know what parts that have been Changed, Buying other car could be reliable or worse be just like Christine.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 11th January 2018, 05:40   #4
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I have the same problem with finances being limited recently. With the recent help from club members I am going to try and keep plodding on. I have never scrapped a car, and it would have been very hurtful. You say you bought tyres recently, but any car would need these? I put a full set on mine, but things like that I don't see as down to the car, as they're wear and tear. Only you know how you feel about the car. Sadly, I become attached to mine, always have!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 05:45   #5
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I have the same problem with finances being limited recently. With the recent help from club members I am going to try and keep plodding on. I have never scrapped a car, and it would have been very hurtful. You say you bought tyres recently, but any car would need these? I put a full set on mine, but things like that I don't see as down to the car, as they're wear and tear. Only you know how you feel about the car. Sadly, I become attached to mine, always have!
Hiya Dawn how you doing oh you have no idea the scope I've spent on this thing for the last 4 years the amount of parts spent I could have had a Mk1 Ford Granada or a ZT V8.

I love the car too bits but fed with the constant spending and my play money or savings got knocked back a fair bit.

Trying too build up the money front up again so far Christine isn't helping with that at all.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 11th January 2018, 06:51   #6
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I know only too well about spending he he. Over the years I've poured money down the drain on cars because I love the dang things!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 12:59   #7
Bogbrush82

BMW X3 2.0D

I'd plod on if I were you. You could spend 1 or 2 grand on a replacement car, only to have to spend even more on getting it up to standard. With Christine you know what you've bought, and so you know that on paper at least, you don't have to worry too much about those parts.
Old 11th January 2018, 13:18   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

What about dropping a pm to Jules asking him to take a look at Christine. He is not far from you Dave and I have always found he knows our cars like the back of his hand.

Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 15:10   #9
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Thing is, while you say you could have bought a Mk1 Granada or a ZT V8 with what you've spent down the years, how likely is it that those cars would have cost you zero to maintain in that period? It's more likely that you'd have been out of pocket by the same amount again, possibly greater.

As Bogbrush said, you could drop hundreds or more on buying another car and then find out that you have to spend again to sort out XYZ. This is why I'm reluctant to buy any used car for over a grand these days. By contrast, you know what you've done on this one and things like the tyres are unlikely to need replacing again soon. Even if you do end up replacing the slave cylinder, you may as well go the whole hog and do the clutch & master as well. What'll that be - £700? I know it's a lot of dough when you're struggling to pull it together alright, but at the same time you'll then have a car which has had all or most of the major expense items done on it recently - suspension, clutch & hydraulics, tyres, crank pulley, alternator belt ... I'm in a similar position myself, having spent out on suspension, exhaust and sill welding a couple of months back.

Just for comparison - I was talking to my regular mechanic last week while he worked on a 2012 Vauxhall Astra. The owner had brought it to him after a different mechanic had tried to "diagnose" a problem by replacing different parts & peripherals, one after another. Over a grand later and it still wasn't sorted. Turns out it needs a new engine anyway, and it's out of warranty. So the owner faces another big bill to keep it going, or accepting that the car they bought for almost 20 grand just over 5 years ago is now only worth what they can get selling it as a spares/repair.

The only way to cheap motoring is to buy a small-engined noddy car with no frills and cheap tax etc. You won't live longer, but it'll feel like it ...
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 15:46   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Hi Dave, Its a hard one I know, but its always best to think sensibly and not with your heart at times like this. If you can afford to keep the car as a hobby so that you dont regret selling it later, then go buy yourself a small cheap run-about that will get you from A to B cheaply. But this is still no guarantee you will avoid the expensive repairs bills, not unless you buy new (and this will only bring you a few years grace).

I've been harsh with my vehicles over the years when I've been faced with a expensive repair bill, I've either sold or traded-in and moved on and bought something different. Majority of the time it has always worked out for the best, the next car has always been a gooden.

My current red ZT has been the only car that I've actually kept that has cost me a small fortune, normally I've gotten rid by now and bought something else. Some cars are worth sticking with I guest, but I'm not sure how long I can keep the beast going for, living down here in Dorset doesn't help. The garage services around here only work on new cars, they dont seem to want to know about the older car. Their faces look so confused when I bring in a ZT, you would think the car was 100 years old.

Good luck with what ever you decide buddy, I'm sure there's a cool car out-there with your name on.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote