Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 18th November 2006, 10:57   #31
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Sorry, didn't see this last night - hope you are sorted!

The AA managed to get mine out of my 75 without any damage! I stupidly did it at a friend's wedding - didn't think it could be done - but as they say design a foolproof system and a better fool comes along! I was miles from home where the spare key sat, and the house keys were...in the boot! Mind you it did keep 70 plus wedding guest amused and the AA patrol men have probably never had such a raucous welcome!

Anyway for the sake of the security of all owners I won't detail how it was done but it took less than 5 minutes. It will set the alarm off, however, which is a sort of warning against trying it if you are a low-life reading this.
Old 18th November 2006, 16:39   #32
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Unhappy Up date

Phone call this morning from the guy coming to unlock the car for £140
" Cant do it"! I didnt realise it was one of them!!
More phone calls to 3 different MG-Rover ex dealers and a guy with lazer key cutting facilities, this guy can cut me a key if I give him a no. for it.
ring back all ex dealers they can't give me a no. Bmw have this in Germany! and will not give it to anybody inc dealers.
Borrow daughters car drive to Dealer with Registration Doc he copied and said will fax to BMW Mon as they dont work at BMW saturdays.
I said how long and he said BMW dont think of MG Rover as a priority these days could be Thursday but one took 3 weeks.
I told the guy to put some pressure on and if I get the key by Thurs I will give him £25 on top of key cost!!
Phoned AA asked them to relay car home they said OK. I said I will be with car at 2.00 pm. Borrow daughters car drive the 20 odd miles to my car to meet an AA van ? I said you are supposed to be a relay transporter, he was confused. We then spent another hour trying to break in and gave up.
He then rang AA again and organised a transporter. I hour later it arrives the driver said "O Christ, I didn't realise its locked with the handbrake on and steering lock the other end, I need skates for the wheels.
Anyway with wet rd and some plastic feet under wheels we dragged it on.
By this time its dark.
It is now slewed diagonally across my drive, only way to unload.
I am now praying for a key to come, When????
I have to now take an enforced holiday as all my working equipment is in the boot, The only alternative is to smash out the rear side window and try to access the boot from inside and retrieve keys.
This would mean me driving around for a few days with a window missing during very wet weather and the security risk of the window covered in polythene. I will now get a quote from Auto glass for side window fitting.
If quote reasonable I will order and when the fitter comes with the parts get him to break the widow so I can climb in access boot? unlock and watch him fit a new window. To all members re key no.s these keys are only available from BMW not MG-Rover dealers.
Having the key no. is no help as they will still need Reg doc to supply.
I hope this serves as a timely reminder to anyone with 1 key and who is a dope like me. Get another even if you only get a lazer cut one [no transponder] Ideally have 3. one on key ring, one at home and a lazer cut one in your wallet to at least open the boot if you lock your transponder in it!
I will let you know what finally transpires, again thanks everybody for their advice and sympathy, Dave
Old 18th November 2006, 16:47   #33
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Sorry to hear your still having trouble Dave, iirc the key will cost £107 ish.
In hindsight If I had a scanned image of your V5C and drivers license I would of ordered one for you, save the driving.Tbh most turn up in less than 10days but they normally quote ten working days.
Old 18th November 2006, 16:50   #34
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
Phone call this morning from the guy coming to unlock the car for £140
" Cant do it"! I didnt realise it was one of them!!
More phone calls to 3 different MG-Rover ex dealers and a guy with lazer key cutting facilities, this guy can cut me a key if I give him a no. for it.
ring back all ex dealers they can't give me a no. Bmw have this in Germany! and will not give it to anybody inc dealers.
Borrow daughters car drive to Dealer with Registration Doc he copied and said will fax to BMW Mon as they dont work at BMW saturdays.
I said how long and he said BMW dont think of MG Rover as a priority these days could be Thursday but one took 3 weeks.
I told the guy to put some pressure on and if I get the key by Thurs I will give him £25 on top of key cost!!
Phoned AA asked them to relay car home they said OK. I said I will be with car at 2.00 pm. Borrow daughters car drive the 20 odd miles to my car to meet an AA van ? I said you are supposed to be a relay transporter, he was confused. We then spent another hour trying to break in and gave up.
He then rang AA again and organised a transporter. I hour later it arrives the driver said "O Christ, I didn't realise its locked with the handbrake on and steering lock the other end, I need skates for the wheels.
Anyway with wet rd and some plastic feet under wheels we dragged it on.
By this time its dark.
It is now slewed diagonally across my drive, only way to unload.
I am now praying for a key to come, When????
I have to now take an enforced holiday as all my working equipment is in the boot, The only alternative is to smash out the rear side window and try to access the boot from inside and retrieve keys.
This would mean me driving around for a few days with a window missing during very wet weather and the security risk of the window covered in polythene. I will now get a quote from Auto glass for side window fitting.
If quote reasonable I will order and when the fitter comes with the parts get him to break the widow so I can climb in access boot? unlock and watch him fit a new window. To all members re key no.s these keys are only available from BMW not MG-Rover dealers.
Having the key no. is no help as they will still need Reg doc to supply.
I hope this serves as a timely reminder to anyone with 1 key and who is a dope like me. Get another even if you only get a lazer cut one [no transponder] Ideally have 3. one on key ring, one at home and a lazer cut one in your wallet to at least open the boot if you lock your transponder in it!
I will let you know what finally transpires, again thanks everybody for their advice and sympathy, Dave
Flipping heck mate it gets worse! IF you do have to break window make a template first then you can construct one from perspex as a stop gap or get one from breakers first. Cover the glass in tape or adhesive plastic to minimize the amount of glass fragments. Has any member got a spare glass? Hope it's sorted soon Dave. Good luck, John.

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
Old 18th November 2006, 16:57   #35
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Dave, Have sent you pm with details, but if push comes to shove, I have a spare nearside front door window glass in my garage you can have.
Old 18th November 2006, 16:59   #36
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Default PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Sorry, didn't see this last night - hope you are sorted!

The AA managed to get mine out of my 75 without any damage! I stupidly did it at a friend's wedding - didn't think it could be done - but as they say design a foolproof system and a better fool comes along! I was miles from home where the spare key sat, and the house keys were...in the boot! Mind you it did keep 70 plus wedding guest amused and the AA patrol men have probably never had such a raucous welcome!

Anyway for the sake of the security of all owners I won't detail how it was done but it took less than 5 minutes. It will set the alarm off, however, which is a sort of warning against trying it if you are a low-life reading this.
Hi Martin please PM me with details, car still locked !!! Dave
Old 18th November 2006, 17:17   #37
Livermpj
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Club saloon

Red face

Hi Dave. I really sympathise with you, I did exactly the same a few weeks ago, 20 miles from home on a remote airfield. And I've got no excuse really, I've had the car for more than 5 years!

So although I can't offer you any tips for breaking in, I can hopefully make you feel less of a berk - it's easily done , isn't it?
I'm lucky because I do have 2 keys, but the 2nd set was at home and I had no way of calling for help because my phone was locked in the car......

If you've got breakdown recovery, I'd be tempted to see whether they could transport the car home (still locked) whilst you order a new key. They should be able to raise the rear wheels, and tow it backwards with the front wheels trailing if it's in neutral.
Best of luck mate, it happens to the best of us
Old 18th November 2006, 18:12   #38
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Dave,

Do you think these guys might be able to help ?? They talk about emergency key access.

http://www.mgrccservices.com/index.htm

The info was posted in this thread a few days ago

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ht=Radio+codes
Old 18th November 2006, 18:13   #39
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livermpj View Post
Hi Dave. I really sympathise with you, I did exactly the same a few weeks ago, 20 miles from home on a remote airfield. And I've got no excuse really, I've had the car for more than 5 years!

So although I can't offer you any tips for breaking in, I can hopefully make you feel less of a berk - it's easily done , isn't it?
I'm lucky because I do have 2 keys, but the 2nd set was at home and I had no way of calling for help because my phone was locked in the car......

If you've got breakdown recovery, I'd be tempted to see whether they could transport the car home (still locked) whilst you order a new key. They should be able to raise the rear wheels, and tow it backwards with the front wheels trailing if it's in neutral.
Best of luck mate, it happens to the best of us
see my last message cant tow, steering lock front, handbrake back, it got dragged onto low loader Dave, see new thread about getting into boot
Old 18th November 2006, 19:38   #40
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3807 View Post
Dave,

Do you think these guys might be able to help ?? They talk about emergency key access.

http://www.mgrccservices.com/index.htm

The info was posted in this thread a few days ago

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ht=Radio+codes
Hi David, thanks for info but I think all I will get for £12 will be a key no. ?
the info they ask for, name ,Address, vin no. etc is exactly what BmW ask for
to decide what the code is for your key. I have now ordered a key may be 10
days coming, but am planning a window breaking session, which will cost £97
to enable me to enter boot and get keys Dave
Closed Thread