Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th October 2019, 12:26   #1
fabian
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Question handbrake dashboard warning light on while driving?

Hi there,

It happened a few times already. I have a 75 v6 2.5. This week the handbrake dashboard warning light suddenly on while driving. When the light was on, the central LDE showed a red screen with something fluid (the red screen went off so quick, I wasn't able to see what was written).

The warning light stays on unless restarting the engine. It happened 3 times during the car is running (warning light suddenly on and stay on, LED flash a red screen with a message for less than a second). I've checked the Fluid Level which seems to be ok (on the "max" mark). The brake is also fine, I couldn't feel any different when driving.

Any idea??

Richard
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 12:32   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Check the brake fluid level.... urgently.

I should explain further - The dash warning light you are seeing is not just the handbrake warning light. It is the warning light for the whole brake system, and will illuminate for faults in the braking system, such as, low brake pad (from the wear sensors on the front and rear offside brakes). Or low Brake fluid. So if a message mentioned 'fluid' then it certainly needs the brake fluid checking. If the warning comes on without the handbrake, then it's a cause for concern and needs checking before driving again.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 15th October 2019 at 12:51..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 12:51   #3
fabian
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Check the brake fluid level.... urgently.
Thanks for your information

The brake fluid level is on the MAX mark.

All brake pads are replaced a few months ago. As I know if I got a worn pad, it should show Brake pad wear light, which is a yellow light, not this red handbrake dashboard warning light

I was thinking about low Brake fluid, but the fluid level is on the MAX mark as I mentioned

what else I should check??

The light is not on all the time. It goes off after restarting the engine. Also, Unlike other warning messages on the LED, which stay on the screen until the problem is fixed, such as Engine Overheated, Traction Control off ... etc, this one only flash less than a second (I couldn't even see the message properly).

Last edited by fabian; 15th October 2019 at 15:23..
Old 15th October 2019, 17:54   #4
350zwelgje
Avid contributor

75 KV6 2.5 3x Rover 75 CDT

Besides fluid level and handbrake it also indicates if the electronic brake distribution (EBD) in the abs electronics is faulty. Handbrake switch ok, then clean the abs plug to the modulator (the abs ecu is on the modulator as well) which is under the battery tray. The plug can corrode and a clean could do then the trick. If still there, have a T4 session.... for further investigation.

Rob
Old 16th October 2019, 00:24   #5
fabian
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350zwelgje View Post
Besides fluid level and handbrake it also indicates if the electronic brake distribution (EBD) in the abs electronics is faulty. Handbrake switch ok, then clean the abs plug to the modulator (the abs ecu is on the modulator as well) which is under the battery tray. The plug can corrode and a clean could do then the trick. If still there, have a T4 session.... for further investigation.

Rob
Hi Rob

For ABS, sorry I have not mentioned this early. It's not working for a few years already. The ABS yellow light and Traction Control warning message on the LED are always on. Without ABS, The car still running fine. I don't have this handbrake dashboard warning light on until this week.

Last edited by fabian; 16th October 2019 at 01:49..
Old 16th October 2019, 09:31   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Well it's reassuring to know that you aren't running the brakes with low fluid.
Given that there's already multiple problems with the ABS / TC I'm not surprised if something new has cropped up.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2019, 07:57   #7
fabian
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Well it's reassuring to know that you aren't running the brakes with low fluid.
Given that there's already multiple problems with the ABS / TC I'm not surprised if something new has cropped up.
Yes, the fluid is full and I still got a brake.

But the light is still on sometimes. What should I do for this?? whats else I can do to let this light go away?
Old 19th October 2019, 08:33   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
But the light is still on sometimes. What should I do for this?? whats else I can do to let this light go away?
Get the original fault repaired ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
The ABS yellow light and Traction Control warning message on the LED are always on.
Simon