Notices

Old 28th April 2016, 21:59   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
I'll keep that site stored for future. I'm taking a little sabbatical from photography to try and find the motivation again. All is lost right now.
Sometimes it is good to stand back, I have done that. But you have a gift of a decent eye. I can relate to how you feel, though. Especially when funds dont allow, however, photography is free now with digital cameras, dont give up on it . I use photography as my escape, taking myself off and shooting something, getting lost in my thoughts, and normally allows me to have a nice drive too lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 11:09   #12
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

Quote:
Hey guys

Looking at the possibility of upgrading my camera in the next few months to a Nikon D750. It's still quite pricey new, but can be had 2nd hand for a couple of hundred or so cheaper. Is it worth buying 2nd hand? I ask as it's still quite a lot of money to be paying, and just concerned if something goes wrong, I'm screwed. What do you suggest?
when my 400D packed in about 2 years ago.. (that I bought new) I couldn't afford a new camera at the time.. so I decided to "risk it" and get a secondhand one from Jessops.. I got myself a secondhand 450D for a decent price.. and thankfully its has been fine..

so - up to you, I did get a months warranty with it, and I made sure I used it in that time to see if there were any faults..

kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 11:42   #13
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Shameless plug......
Still got a lovely Canon Eos 7D complete with oem grip for sale boxed and complete with all accessories .
Plus two Sigma lenses and a teleconverter

All listed in the non car for sale section section on here
Old 29th April 2016, 14:50   #14
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
........ I'm taking a little sabbatical from photography to try and find the motivation again. All is lost right now.
Really sad to read that. I've recently had some praise for my car photos on a recent thread, and I'm happy to say that most of those photos where directly inspired by the photos you took at Carter Bar. For the less creative amongst us, photos from members such as you make a real difference in speeding up the learning process - you have a natural "eye" for photography and it would be a pity not to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
.......... Your images are spectacular. Kit envy is what I call it ...........
.........You have a great technique and eye, develop that further, with lenses, and then look at upgrading the camera........
I can only agree with this. Great photos have more to do with the person behind the camera than the camera itself. I have no doubt you would take better photos with a cheap phone camera than many of us would take with even the most expensive DSLR. Remember the saying: "The best camera is the one you have on you at the time" (or something like that).

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 15:00   #15
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
I'll keep that site stored for future. I'm taking a little sabbatical from photography to try and find the motivation again. All is lost right now.
Hi Rav,

Hope this is not brought on by a certain members P.M ?

If so please ignore that as everyone else was totally smitten with the photos you took at Carter Bar, you should be justifiably proud of the quality of photos you produced there!

Please as Alan and Cliff have said, keep up the good work as you have a very keen eye for composition and handling of an image.
Your work can only go from strength to strength ........
Old 29th April 2016, 15:00   #16
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I agree. You have a good eye for photography. I do know the feeling, I did not shoot for over a year not so long ago. Good thing is your kit will not deteriorate and you can pick it up again when you get the urge.

I hope it is soon.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 17:58   #17
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

I am still using my old 1970's polaroid Takes great photo's, especially in the bedroom

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 00:04   #18
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Quote:
My first thought was 'WHY????' When I sold cameras, it was one of the first questions I would ask. Although I rarely saw their images, I have seen a few of yours, and again, I would ask why? Your images are spectacular. Kit envy is what I call it(and the 100+ cameras I have in my attic are testament to that! lol), and whilst there can be some reasons to upgrade your camera, at times, right now, I would try everything I could to dissuade you. Simply as there is no need. When the D90 was released it was considered the camera to have, and in fact caused a lot of people to jump over to Nikon! Today, it is still a great camera, long in the tooth, but still gives fantastic images.

At this point I would suggest people consider (especially 'newbies') upgrading or enlarging their lens collection. You have a great technique and eye, develop that further, with lenses, and then look at upgrading the camera. If I were you, I would even consider a D700/800(or even D7000) instead. But not before I considered the lenses.

Another thing I would suggest, challenge yourself. Go somewhere you know well, but take a single lens. One thing I used to do, was take my Tamron 90mm lens only out to shoot landscapes. Gives a different perspective to shooting. Even taking my 70-200mm to the same location on a different time.

I am glad you have put it on hold, because in a year the D750 will drop more than a couple of hundred. Even consider if you can wait, when a replacement for the 750 comes out, a month or two after that. (hence my suggestion of the 700/800 - that used to be a 2 grand camera)
Thank you. Yes, I think after playing about with my friends camera, I just fell in love with it and wanted something newer. I tend to like new toys. But, after having a think about it, I decided I will work with what I have and be sensible and keep learning. I'm still quite new to the world of photography and my main goal is just to improve.

Quote:
Sometimes it is good to stand back, I have done that. But you have a gift of a decent eye. I can relate to how you feel, though. Especially when funds dont allow, however, photography is free now with digital cameras, dont give up on it . I use photography as my escape, taking myself off and shooting something, getting lost in my thoughts, and normally allows me to have a nice drive too lol
Thank you. It's not so much to do with funds. I enjoy doing landscape pictures a lot, even though I don't do it very often. Recently, I've just lost a bit of inspiration. Around, where I lived I have visited most places often and have got bored of locations. This is what has made me lose a little motivation. I would love to travel further afield, maybe amongst the hills and take some pictures, but they are some distance away. It's just trying to find the motivation to get up and go do it. Glencoe as an example. I would love to go there again.mi was fortunate to have my photographer friend who asked me to go with him. It's trying to find the will to do this by myself. That's the hardest part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Really sad to read that. I've recently had some praise for my car photos on a recent thread, and I'm happy to say that most of those photos where directly inspired by the photos you took at Carter Bar. For the less creative amongst us, photos from members such as you make a real difference in speeding up the learning process - you have a natural "eye" for photography and it would be a pity not to use it.

I can only agree with this. Great photos have more to do with the person behind the camera than the camera itself. I have no doubt you would take better photos with a cheap phone camera than many of us would take with even the most expensive DSLR. Remember the saying: "The best camera is the one you have on you at the time" (or something like that).

Cliff
I think sabbatical was the wrong term, to be honest. I've just taken a couple of weeks of just not taking pictures and not think too much. I tend to over think and be critical of myself. Recently, I tried to take some sunset pictures and they just aren't coming out very well at all. I've tried time and time again and keep failing and just feel so deflated because of it. My friend also said it will do ,e good not to think about it for a little while and come back fresh. And I think he's right. Believe it or not, it's actually been less stressful since I last took a picture. I'm sure I'll be holding my camera again in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Hi Rav,

Hope this is not brought on by a certain members P.M ?

If so please ignore that as everyone else was totally smitten with the photos you took at Carter Bar, you should be justifiably proud of the quality of photos you produced there!

Please as Alan and Cliff have said, keep up the good work as you have a very keen eye for composition and handling of an image.
Your work can only go from strength to strength ........
Thank you. Yes, it's nothing to do with regards to the Carter Bar meet. I'm not worried about that. As far as I'm concerned, that's all in the past now. It's just trying to find inspiration of things to take pictures of. The recent sunset pictures that I've been trying to take have really frustrated me and made me feel quite sad. So a week or two to clear my mind, and hopefully, normal duty will resume.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote