Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th October 2016, 10:59   #21
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

If you add it to your basket (when logged in) on CarParts4Less and wait a day or two they send you a 5% off code.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 09:49   #22
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
If you add it to your basket (when logged in) on CarParts4Less and wait a day or two they send you a 5% off code.
12% today only - http://mail.carparts4less.co.uk/publ...5l95o4lt9kf04q
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 10:46   #23
ravingfool
Regular poster

MG ZT

Still getting problems unfortunately and they appear to be speeding up.

Bled the clutch on Saturday morning, drove the car Saturday night and then throughout the day Sunday on a few medium length trips. Absolutely no problems and biting point right at the top of the pedal travel the whole weekend.

Got in the car to drive to work this morning and pedal went straight to the floor with little pressure. Pumped the clutch but no gears so had to bleed again before I could drive to work.

Inspected the master cylinder and no signs of leakage in the interior. No sign of leakage at the half way joint in the hydraulic system either.

Certainly some clutch fluid around the bell housing cutout, but could also be from my bleeding of the clutch on Saturday morning?

I've been reading again today about the possibility of leaks from the bleed pipe, so I'll have a look at that but not sure how I can resolve that myself? Access to the bleed pipe is fairly limited in the v6 as well as there are coolant pipes which route directly above.

Any other ideas? I'm losing the will to live with this car at the moment which is devastating as it's still great fun to drive and the engine runs really sweetly. What's wrong with cable clutches?!
ravingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 11:47   #24
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi,

You can try this old trick to see where is the leak

If no fluid lost ,clean the master little return valve:

Good luck

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 12:13   #25
ravingfool
Regular poster

MG ZT

Thanks Mike. I'll see how I get on.
Old 19th December 2016, 09:46   #26
ravingfool
Regular poster

MG ZT

I've continued driving the car and topping up the clutch fluid as necessary - it's not needed much at any point and largely I've just been able to enjoy driving it.

Last night however I jumped in the car and was a little surprised that the clutch had gone again, although to be fair I'd not topped it up recently and had been driving daily for a couple of weeks.

Ho hum, another quick bleed and I was able to set off.

Drove off with no problems but as I got to the top of a hill about a mile later the engine began to accelerate under steady throttle. NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-.

I guess that confirms that the leak I've been unable to trace has been inside the bellhousing, presumably from the slave or the connection between the slave and the rest of the hydraulic system?

Clutch fluid has then contaminated the friction surfaces resulting in clutch slip?

Does this seem a reasonable understanding to draw from this?

I don't really have the tools or desire to drop the gearbox myself - I've dismantled the top half of a pushrod engine in situ and put it back together again successfully but never split an engine and box, nevermind a FWD combination with such a large heavy unit. I appreciate the standard procedure is fairly involved for these cars.

Andy (and others) may be able to manage a quicker solution but largely I suspect due to their familiarity with all the parts. The car's really not worth an awful lot at the moment and with a weeping slave and the early stages of a slipping clutch plate I'm not entirely sure what to do now!

Frustrated!
Old 19th December 2016, 12:03   #27
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

So, 3 months later ,you have

-slave metal Tazu + master mk1 Tazu and your clutch is slipping ?

Must be a huge slave leak ? the tranparent master reservoir allows you to check the level change .
Curious ,generally a wet plate produces rather judder ?

What is the Andy's opinion ?

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 15:57   #28
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Is there a 'whirring' when the clutch is depressed whilst idling? That has occured just before both my slaves failed.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 16:05   #29
ravingfool
Regular poster

MG ZT

Yes Mike,

Metal slave and new clutch plate by Andy about a year ago.

Tazu master earlier this summer personally.

I've been losing fluid slowly and generally topping up before running out but have sometimes found that it has lost fluid overnight having been fine when I parked up in the evening and then empty by morning (or at least, enough air in the system to prevent it working).

No signs of fluid loss into the car interior. no evidence of weeping joints in the engine bay.

No judder from the clutch, just started slipping despite clutch fully engaged. Hence assumption that friction plate must have been contaminated. I've contacted Andy for his opinion. I'll actually be in his neck of the woods at the end of next week so have asked whether he's working and would be able to take a look.

I only suffered slip on a very steep hill under throttle in a high gear (so lots of torque going through the friction plate. changing down I was able to continue). Same symptoms again in 3rd/4th if I put my foot down at relatively low speed. This is a v6 of course.

No other problems/symptoms. I've never known such a problematic clutch system, there seem to be no end of problems with these things! It really lets the rest of the car down.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:50   #30
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingfool View Post
Yes Mike,

Metal slave and new clutch plate by Andy about a year ago.

Tazu master earlier this summer personally.

I've been losing fluid slowly and generally topping up before running out but have sometimes found that it has lost fluid overnight having been fine when I parked up in the evening and then empty by morning (or at least, enough air in the system to prevent it working).

No signs of fluid loss into the car interior. no evidence of weeping joints in the engine bay.

No judder from the clutch, just started slipping despite clutch fully engaged. Hence assumption that friction plate must have been contaminated. I've contacted Andy for his opinion. I'll actually be in his neck of the woods at the end of next week so have asked whether he's working and would be able to take a look.

I only suffered slip on a very steep hill under throttle in a high gear (so lots of torque going through the friction plate. changing down I was able to continue). Same symptoms again in 3rd/4th if I put my foot down at relatively low speed. This is a v6 of course.

No other problems/symptoms. I've never known such a problematic clutch system, there seem to be no end of problems with these things! It really lets the rest of the car down.
Please let us know what Andy says about this - I (and some other members on here) are having issues with the same clutch set-up that Andy has fitted (National clutch kit with LUK or Tazu metal slave etc.). It will be helpful to get feedback.

Thanks

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote