Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2016, 18:34   #11
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
and again - ditto what Sonic said, though you will often see this rule ignored.
This is correct but you often see pictures of people doing it, can't be bothered trying to correct them as such comments aren't usually accepted with the grace given
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:38   #12
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham E View Post
Your best bet is to find someone with a Land Rover as they can tow a small country.
If I were closer I'd happily sort the delivery out for you (legally, using what's pictured below... ), but unfortunately it's unlikely to be cost effective with me being about 250 miles away.
Old 7th December 2016, 19:18   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

as stated you cant tow legally. a company that I wanted to hire a trailer from refused to rent due to weight of tow car and weight of car to be placed on trailer. I had to hire a flatbed

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 19:34   #14
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Technically I can't comment on your driving license as at my age I can drive virtually anything.
However, as to towing weights I've had long discussions on here with Colin_NI (I think) and others as to what one can legally tow. As others have said the car manufacturer states in the handbook and on the vin plate the maximum load they think the car can safely tow. The issue is whether that is the legal limit. Other vehicles can be plated to tow considerably more than their own weight, especially some 4wd. I have seen reference to the load being up to 2.5 times the tow vehicle, though think that's pushing it. Frequently I used a Rover P4 (1950-64 model for those who don't know their Rovers) to tow a similar car on a transporter, in which circumstances the load was about 1.5 times the tow car weight. Certainly stick to under 3.5 ton total but other wise I would risk it. Rather depends on distance, type of road and how busy it is, time of day, attitude and knowledge of police etc who don;t themselves know the rules. Late evening or night could be a good time. Let us know how you get on.

Alternatively. you might find a guy with a flatbed who will do a one way move for £1-50 a mile. Takes out a lot of hassle.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 21:30   #15
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

ah okay guys didn't realise that. Thought you could tow another 75 using the same model of car only if the trailer had it's own brakes. We used a 75 tourer to bring the 75 saloon I have in my garage... oops

I think the only option I have is to try and drive my ZT there late at night when there's the least amount of cars on the road. The car's sort of drivable, takes a bit of effort to change gears but they do go in without a crunch. The problem is setting off from a stand still as the clutch is causing an awful judder that shakes the whole car.

Once I'm on the A13 down my way it's all motorway for miles so M25 and M1 until I get to Milton Keynes. Hopefully if I time it right I won't need to stop more than a few times.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 23:42   #16
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Technically I can't comment on your driving license as at my age I can drive virtually anything.
However, as to towing weights I've had long discussions on here with Colin_NI (I think) and others as to what one can legally tow. As others have said the car manufacturer states in the handbook and on the vin plate the maximum load they think the car can safely tow. The issue is whether that is the legal limit. Other vehicles can be plated to tow considerably more than their own weight, especially some 4wd. I have seen reference to the load being up to 2.5 times the tow vehicle, though think that's pushing it. Frequently I used a Rover P4 (1950-64 model for those who don't know their Rovers) to tow a similar car on a transporter, in which circumstances the load was about 1.5 times the tow car weight. Certainly stick to under 3.5 ton total but other wise I would risk it. Rather depends on distance, type of road and how busy it is, time of day, attitude and knowledge of police etc who don;t themselves know the rules. Late evening or night could be a good time. Let us know how you get on.

Alternatively. you might find a guy with a flatbed who will do a one way move for £1-50 a mile. Takes out a lot of hassle.
I've had a further bit of advice from an old friend who like me has towed all sorts of dubious vehicles about over the years both on and off trailers.
- make sure the trailer looks respectable, clean, 4 wheeled, and not a home made lash up. A rented trailer should be ok but check it, I once almost had the actual coupling come unbolted from the A frame. Check the brakes work and also free off ok.
- Also check all lights including side lights on wings, presense and air in spare wheel (take a jack etc) We all forget the stupid things like remembering to lift and secure the jockey wheel and fix the safety brake over-run chain.
- make sure the load is properly lashed down - ok, I've used odd chains and ropes etc, but the proper ties to a better job, look better and more professional
- consider travelling in the rush hour (rather depending on where you are going) so that the police may have more to concentrate on than you.

Basically you want to avoid drawing attention, drive sensibly, hopefully at at least 50mph on the motorway prfereably at 60+ keeping up with the trucks. Also try to test the rig to make sure it will be stable at a sensible cruising speed, I hope you have had previous towing experience. (Off the point I once collected an engine-less car from way south of London but loaded it forwards on the trailer so got the weight distribution wrong. Any more than 38mph and it started swinging - it was an all night journey all the way to Leeds at that time not all by motorway)

Comments and criticisms from other members welcome!
Old 7th December 2016, 23:44   #17
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

We learn every day.

As I said on your previous thread, if the clutch goes completely it is possible to change gears without a clutch. You just match revs to gear and it will slide in without issue. Old boys would call this double de-clutching, I believe (before this old syncromesh malarkey). You take out of gear, into neutral, match revs for gear, then into next gear.

See here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0hAtOik4

@p2roverman : Strangely tonight whilst out on my bike, a van came past with what looked like a barn find P4 on a trailer. The trailer had no number plate, indicator that worked only one side and very little rear lights, or were quite obscured by the loading ramp. Proper job. Only moving it a little way, guv, honest.

Last edited by first-things-first; 7th December 2016 at 23:48..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 23:45   #18
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

You need B&E to tow over 750KG - you only have B so there's no way you'll be towing a car.

Also as above - no "car" can tow another car of similar size, plus a trailer. Certainly a 75 towing a 75+trailer would be way overweight - but people do it all the time.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 23:50   #19
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
We learn every day.

As I said on your previous thread, if the clutch goes completely it is possible to change gears without a clutch. You just match revs to gear and it will slide in without issue. Old boys would call this double de-clutching, I believe (before this old syncromesh malarkey). You take out of gear, into neutral, match revs for gear, then into next gear.

See here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0hAtOik4
Further to my helpful?? notes on towing, I think under Rick's situation I would drive it. It will start in second, in fact probably in third, and even with no clutch on a quiet motorway you could do a reasonable 45 -50 mph staying in third with out a gearchange and unless you had to come to a complete stand should be ok. Pick a quiet time and avoid a route withtraffic lights. Do let us know how you get on.
Old 8th December 2016, 01:41   #20
tdi90
Gets stuck in

Nissan Navara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
You need B&E to tow over 750KG - you only have B so there's no way you'll be towing a car.

Also as above - no "car" can tow another car of similar size, plus a trailer. Certainly a 75 towing a 75+trailer would be way overweight - but people do it all the time.
When did the laws change? I passed my test in the early naughty's so am also B only, but the examiner said I'm fine to tow upto 3500kg total. Anymore more or a higher trailer weight than the tow car would require the B + E test. I asked as at the time my ex wife and I just got our first caravan and she wasnt keen on towing.
Been towing all sorts since then (well within the 3500kg total weight limit) and never had any issues.

Checked https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/what-you-can-tow and it looks like I'm right (phew, cant be doing with paying for another test)

Last edited by tdi90; 8th December 2016 at 01:45..
tdi90 is offline   Reply With Quote