Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st October 2017, 17:27   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default What dash camera to go for?

Hi all,

I'm looking to order a front and rear dash cam for a customer's car. Never bought one before so don't really know what ones are good and what ones to avoid. A nice wide angle one which can pick up the most amount of footage as possible would be great.

It needs to be one that can be hard wired in to the fuse box, don't want one of those usb or cigarette lighter ones as I want the wiring to be tidy.

What should the dash cam be able to display as well, is it just date and time needed on the display?

And lastly, has anyone fitted a rear facing camera? If so where have you placed it on the rear screen? As I think putting it under the brake light in the middle wouldn't look right and I cant place it at the top anywhere due to the powerblind.

Not sure if anyone would be interested, but I'll probably offer dash cam fitting as a service

Cheers,
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 17:35   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Hi Rick I’ve fitted a couple of next base dashcams and hardwired them into the fuse box using a piggyback fuse seems to work well looked at the footage no problems, date timestamps and collision recording facilities, in fact my father in law told his insurance company he has one hardwired and they said “what brand is it” he replied nextbase and they replied “that’s fine” (LV insurance company)nextbase 202 (140 degree angle)hope that helps mate
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by Mickyboy; 21st October 2017 at 17:38..
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 17:46   #3
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

G1W or A118C would be my budget suggestions.

It would be difficult to mount one on the rear screen and retain the blind, though. I would look at the A118C due to it's wedge shape.

In my ZT I just had it hidden behind the rear headrest (suction mount pictured but the 3M sticky mounts are much tidier), but the view wasn't fantastic due to the height.

You could probably mount it through the headrest bars with some metal if you wanted?

Ideally it needs to be high up though to get a good view.

In my new car I've gone high up and attached to the trim over the rear brake light, virtually invisible from outside the car.

Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 17:50   #4
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Worth noting that the a119 seems to be getting good reviews as the successor to the a118c
Old 21st October 2017, 21:56   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I had the Nextbase 312 hard wired into the XF. It picked out the car that took me out a couple of weeks back perfectly.
It also records exact position by GPS and speed. It was invaluable to me at the scene for the Police to view. The other driver was subsequently charged with a motoring offence and his insurance company have admitted full liability.
I intend to fit this camera into my 75 as it has currently just got a cheap camera in it.
When I purchase a replacement for the XF I’m going to fit the Nextbase 512
BTW coincidently Auto Express have rated the 512 bast dash cam.

If you so wish to have front and rear camera there is some on the market which have two lenses, one facing front with the other facing rear and record simultaneously.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:14   #6
shadysadie
Loves to post

BRG Connie Auto KV6, Dorchester red Jap. spec. Auto KV6 and 1967 Volvo 122S "Amazon"

The Nextbase duo is worth serious consideration and I am very pleased with mine. Forward facing 140 degree wide angle lens, 50m zoom to the rear, WiFi, GPS logging etc. etc.. Also the mount itself can be hard wired so that the camera is removable in seconds to prevent theft.
shadysadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 11:12   #7
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

I've currently got Mobius cameras in all 4 cars forward facing.
I went with them as spares and technical assistance is readily available via the manufacturer and developer. I've had no issues in the couple of years I've been using them.

I have recently been looking at adding cameras into the rear of the cars and toyed with getting one with gps etc but I'll see how it goes.

The nextbase do look good as well as the A119's so may go for newer up front and fit the Mobius in the rear of the cars.

I also recently tidied up the wiring into the camera by using a 90 degree adaptor.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=271749

Last edited by wullie480; 22nd October 2017 at 11:36..
wullie480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 11:43   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

For a simple, easy to use / fit and forget, the A118C can be hardwired. I used a 12v to 5v mini usb adaptor and found an ignition on and earth in the loom to the auto dim mirror, so all fitted through the interior light aperture.
More info here:-
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=274686
and here:-
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...hlight=dashcam
Cheap as chips and a fairly good quality pic for the price.
Mike

Last edited by roverbarmy; 22nd October 2017 at 11:49..
roverbarmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:40   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
And lastly, has anyone fitted a rear facing camera? If so where have you placed it on the rear screen? As I think putting it under the brake light in the middle wouldn't look right and I cant place it at the top anywhere due to the powerblind.
I wanted a front and rear cam, which as invisible as was possible - which meant a cam which mounted directly on the front screen, with no suction bracket needed and the rear one as small as possible. I have had it a few years now and even those who have driven my car, have not spotted the cams. The front is hidden behind the sun visor, the rear stuck on the centre brake light housing.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 13:22   #10
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

I have : - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jusky-Ambar...i+0806+dashcam

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote