Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th August 2019, 04:11   #1
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default What a difference !

Just come onto the site this morning as usual, and it has made me realise the vast difference between this forum and other car forums.

My daughter in law has a 2014 Nissan Qashqai (or cash and carry as my son calls it). She has recently been having various faults come up, which she has been trying to get resolved at a local garage, without having to go to Nissan. They have had no luck, so she has borrowed my car for work, and I told her I would look into it.

So........... first step, read the faults on a code reader and go onto the user forums to see what other owners have experienced. Guess what. Lots of queries posted regarding the same faults, but not one response with what caused the fault they had, or any fix.

I assume they all took it to Nissan in the end to get fixed, but didn't post back any of their experiences to help others.

As I said at the beginning................ What a difference.
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 04:38   #2
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I have said this once before, it is the strength of the club's and forums that dictate if an old car will survive or not. If there is no forum back up they will just disappear.

This forum has a very strong following and is full of very knowledgeable members. I sometimes wonder if it's because generally the members are an older age group. By this I mean, we are from a generation of people who aren't afraid to roll up the sleeves and fix things themselves.

Generally speaking, from the younger people I know, they have very little mechanical knowledge. They seem to have no idea on what goes on under the bonnet. They just take it to a garage to be fixed.

Because of this, forums for some brands of vehicles just tend to be social forums. The conversations seem to be more about what colour there next one will be, which is the best garage to go to for the best part ex deals etc etc.

Sorry to all the younger end of members on this forum, it's not aimed at you. It's just generally how I see it.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 06:51   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
Just come onto the site this morning as usual, and it has made me realise the vast difference between this forum and other car forums.

My daughter in law has a 2014 Nissan Qashqai (or cash and carry as my son calls it). She has recently been having various faults come up, which she has been trying to get resolved at a local garage, without having to go to Nissan. They have had no luck, so she has borrowed my car for work, and I told her I would look into it.

So........... first step, read the faults on a code reader and go onto the user forums to see what other owners have experienced. Guess what. Lots of queries posted regarding the same faults, but not one response with what caused the fault they had, or any fix.

I assume they all took it to Nissan in the end to get fixed, but didn't post back any of their experiences to help others.

As I said at the beginning................ What a difference.
I had same experience with a BMW X3, in the end I posted the question here and got the answer.
No end to the talents here.

I belong to a caravan forum. They are so negative when people ask how to do things, this forum, you get told how to do something.

as you say, the difference is amazing.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 06:56   #4
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I had a Scimitar GTE for 13 years and found the forum outstanding for advice and solutions.
When a neighbour had a problem with her 07 plate Renault Clio I found the solution on a YouTube video. Sheer luck really to find one posted by an individual who has decided to share his experience with his Clio.
It is a rare thing indeed to have a fully active forum relying on contributions from like minded people with a common aim. I’ve used other forums and they are truly dreadful as the OP has intimidated.

Last edited by victorgte; 6th August 2019 at 11:10..
victorgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 08:47   #5
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Couldn't have said it better. I've lost count of the number of times people on here have gone out of their way to help me out with problems I've had, and honestly, without that help I would certainly not have persevered with the car for half as long as I have. There surely wouldn't be so many 75/ZT cars on the road today it wasn't for the members of this club. I have been a member of 4-5 other car forums over the years (won't name them), but none even come close to the friendliness and general expertise shown here.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 08:55   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I have had several Rovers and have found the Rover forums to be packed with like minded people who not only want to own and drive the marque but also are willing to get stuck in and fix/maintain them, whilst often helping other like minded folk to do the same. Thank you to all for the help and advice that I have received over the years on this and other Rover forums.
Old 6th August 2019, 09:59   #7
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post

Totally agree. I have previously been on a number of forums, mainly do do with my motorcycle days, and always found there to be an unhealthy amount of inflated egos, and members becoming aggressive or agitated over tiny things....

Here, I have always found the knowledge and helpful attitude of other members to be simply second to none. I am not mechanically minded in any way, and have been helped so many times over the years by others here, and although I don't have much to post, I do have much to learn and be grateful for. I could not have kept my 75's on the road over the last decade and more if not for this forum and it's fountain of wisdom and friendly people.

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 10:01   #8
jeremy
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I found myself in email conversation this morning with the wonderful Arctic about handbrake compensators on an MGF!
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 10:08   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I have said this once before, it is the strength of the club's and forums that dictate if an old car will survive or not. If there is no forum back up they will just disappear.

This forum has a very strong following and is full of very knowledgeable members. I sometimes wonder if it's because generally the members are an older age group. By this I mean, we are from a generation of people who aren't afraid to roll up the sleeves and fix things themselves.

I agree with the above. The forum for the Vauxhall Omega is exactly the same as this in terms of the knowledge base. There is nothing for which an answer cannot be found on the Omega Owners forum.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 10:17   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Mate of mine had bother with a Peugeot 407 diesel he used as a private hire taxi (kept dropping into limp mode) so I had a look on numerous Peugeot forums for him. Everybody posting problems but unlike here nobody was posting solutions.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote