Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th August 2019, 21:06   #31
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Is that a Carina towcar by any chance Mike ?
Old 13th August 2019, 21:59   #32
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes - well spotted Paul. I had two as company cars, and very good they were too - big and economical.

Just about everyone was using Ford Transits to carry their cars at the time but our company cars were replaced every two years and were fully insured for towing trailers so it was daft to spend money on anything else.

If you look behind the trailer in the first photo there is a Scimitar (a rare duotone) not mine although I did own one back in the day.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 14th August 2019 at 11:37..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 07:54   #33
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

I wondered if that was a Scimitar Mike, the curve of the rear side window was the clue, but I'd not noticed the two-tone (which is just visible if you enlarge it )

Regarding axle weights, nowadays it appears to be appropriate tyres that limit their capacity. The axles on my 3500kg gross transporter look like they could carry a truck (massively thick square tube) but each one is rated at 1800kg due to the 8-ply tyres taking 900kg each. Hence being twin axle (4 x 900kg giving 3600kg limit) they are always working below their maximum rated capacity....
Old 14th August 2019, 11:58   #34
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I did go on to buy and run a twin axle professionally built trailer, but these days that would be over the weight limit for the cars I was using to tow it, and even a flatbed Transit would probably struggle to legally carry a large car under the current regs.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 14:52   #35
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Default Talking about overweight vehicles

Round these quiet parts (for about 5 minutes at 3.30 am ), I have noticed that VOSA is stopping dangerously overloaded vehicles / un-safe trucks at the Dartford crossings (congestion causing zone ).

Talking to the highways people whilst my bike is transported via the crossings, it comes as a shock to some of our eastern european neighbours (mostly seems to be them being stopped here from my experience) that they have overweight vehicles.

Mercedes van (the only vehicle of choice, it seems) with loads of luggage, 5-6 people on board, plus parcels to send home and of course the obligatory large twin axle trailer (with a different number plate on and often trailer board lights not working) with a large 4 x 4 being transported.

That little lot makes them well overweight, so they have to get rid of the excess weight, fix the issues and pay the fines before allowed back on their way. They also get fined for not having a tacho (as they are delivering parcels).

VOSA are immobilising the vehicles to ensure this. Some think that simply having their rolled up bank notes and dispensing cash is the solution to everything!

Good on VOSA. Finally.

Same happening to dangerous foreign trucks. One had noisy brakes on the trailer, so he thought it prudent to remove the shoes. When he got clamped and the wads of notes didn't get him waived swiftly through, he was most miffed. VOSA were busy with other things for a few hours after fixing the trailer and other issues (and paying the fines), so he was quite late and irate.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 15:06   #36
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

https://mobile.twitter.com/DVSAgovuk

Have a look on this account, you don't need an account to view it. There's some eye openers on there

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 16:01   #37
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

If your remark about’different numberplate’ on the trailer, is made to make out that it is illegal in some way, you are incorrect. My son lives and works in Germany, and he told me that trailers have to have a mot and insurance, and a numberplate. This numberplate is different to the plate on the car he owns.So having a diff numberplate is legal on the continent. Having said that, I am very happy that DVLA are catching the overweight lorries and vans. About time too.

Last edited by bl52krz; 14th August 2019 at 16:03..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 21:05   #38
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

It does make me wonder if my trailer is legal. Home made, by an aircraft engineer I might add. Outstanding quality but not plated in any way. Leaf spring suspension, braked and 165/13 car tyres at 40psi when fully loaded at 1 tonne. That’s as much as I dare carry. Mostly though it’s pieces of furniture or rubbish to the tip.
Old 14th August 2019, 22:36   #39
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

It is great that the authorities are taking an interest in overloaded and unsafe vehicles - I see far too many Transit / Sprinter type beavertail transporters carrying cars which I know take them well beyond their 3500kg gross weight limit

I've been stopped by VOSA/DVSA on three occasions and always found them to be very reasonable and pleasant to deal with....but maybe that's because they are always surprised to find I'm using a calibrated tachograph and following the necessary rules regarding drivers hours and trailer weights

Victorgte - I'm not too sure on the rules about homebuilt trailers, but both the tyres and hitch should have a load rating figure on them, so as long as you don't go over the lower of the two, or your cars maximum towing weight, I'd suggest you should be safe ?
Old 15th August 2019, 08:45   #40
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Interesting that you use a tachograph? Do you run beyond 3.5 tons or does your towing vehicle have that capability therefore had to have one fitted when new? I ask because the guys I know in your field deliberately stay below 3.5 to avoid tacho use.