Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2016, 16:59   #1
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.
Default Router/Network Help

Got a little network issue that I can't get my head round.... so perhaps someone here will be able to save what little hair I have

Here goes:

I have 1 router (supplied by sky) that is connected to the phone line and has the IP range 192.168.0.1 - 255 and is also wireless on 2.4Ghz.
All PCs etc., are connected to this as it works as DHCP server.

I also have another router (it's a cable router) that works on 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz wireless as I want to have a clear network. It also works as a DHCP server, but on a different IP range (192.168.1.1 - 255)

I've turned off the 2.4Ghz on the 2nd router, but if I connect my laptop to it via the 5Ghz wireless I can see the internet and also talk to both routers, but I cannot connect to any PC or printer that is connected to the first router (on the IP range 192.168.0.1 - 255).

The subnet mask on both routers is 255.255.255.0.

The only way I can see of being able to see all the PCs & Printers, is to move them over to the 2nd router, but I'm sure i should be able to configure the network so I can leave them attached where they are.

Over to you clear lot now

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 17:58   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

You'll need to explain what you mean by "clear" network and why you want to have two separate networks inside one before anyone can help.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 18:45   #3
humphshumphs

No longer a Rover Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
You'll need to explain what you mean by "clear" network and why you want to have two separate networks inside one before anyone can help.
Clear as in no-one else on that wireless network. Around here, I have anything between 6 and 10 other wireless networks on the 2.4Ghz band (as well as cordless phones/microwaves etc), but no-one else is on the 5Ghz band.

As my main router only works on 2.4Ghz, I have a 2nd router (not a modem router) that works on the 5Ghz band.

Hope this makes it a little clearer

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 26th November 2016, 19:16   #4
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

You need to setup your second router as an access point - rather than a completely separate server, with it's own DHCP server etc.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 19:23   #5
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Other than the obvious reason of cost maybe, is there any reason why you are not just using a dual band router? I have one with about 12 devices, including two range extenders, 2 sky boxes and two iPhones with a host of android devices. This on a normal phone line and a decent download speed.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 19:30   #6
humphshumphs

No longer a Rover Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Other than the obvious reason of cost maybe, is there any reason why you are not just using a dual band router? I have one with about 12 devices, including two range extenders, 2 sky boxes and two iPhones with a host of android devices. This on a normal phone line and a decent download speed.
My ISP is sky, and whilst I know that you can use a non-Sky router they can be a little bit <insert expletive> if you don't. Also currently Sky don't offer a dual band router without moving up to Sky-Q (and I don't want to increase my bill as it's high enough already).

I've got a bucket full of devices attached to my sky router with no issues, other than the 2.4Ghz band is congested and the 5.0Ghz band isnt, and I want faster access on a couple of laptops

Old 27th November 2016, 08:27   #7
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Would it work if you disabled DHCP on the second router?
Just a stab in the dark here.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 09:03   #8
humphshumphs

No longer a Rover Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Would it work if you disabled DHCP on the second router?
Just a stab in the dark here.
Ken.
Done that, but for some reason, if I connect to the 2nd router (as it's got a different wireless name) I can't get access to the internet. But if I turn on DHCP it allows me to use the inter but I can't see the rest of the devices.

On going research needed me thinks

Old 29th November 2016, 20:21   #9
Peter16

Rover 75 Saloon (CDT)

The problem is your subnet mask.

Very simplisticly 255.255.255.0 tells the computer to ignore any network contact from computers that don't have all of the three first sets of numbers matching. Don't even try and understand it, just take my word for it.

Set the subnet mask for both networks to 255.255.0.0 and it should work fine, although you'll need to either wait until the computers pick up the new settings when they do a new DHCP request. You can force this on a windows based computer by clicking start -> run, type CMD to get a command prompt and then type "IPCONFIG /RELEASE" and then "IPCONFIG /RENEW".
Peter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 21:34   #10
humphshumphs

No longer a Rover Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter16 View Post
The problem is your subnet mask.

Very simplisticly 255.255.255.0 tells the computer to ignore any network contact from computers that don't have all of the three first sets of numbers matching. Don't even try and understand it, just take my word for it.

Set the subnet mask for both networks to 255.255.0.0 and it should work fine, although you'll need to either wait until the computers pick up the new settings when they do a new DHCP request. You can force this on a windows based computer by clicking start -> run, type CMD to get a command prompt and then type "IPCONFIG /RELEASE" and then "IPCONFIG /RENEW".
I'll give it a go later on when I have a bit of time to play