Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st February 2017, 23:30   #1
twowheelstony
Regular poster

75 v6(broken) , 02 75 2.0 cdt1 05 cdti,03 cdti

Default one piece polyurethene bush fitment problem .

so i got the big red polyurathane bushes for the front of the 75, they were a right NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to get into the housing , after that the left one went onto the arm on the car with a bit of leverage and wood between the lever and bush. i levered off the car body ,the left went on with some effort but the right side one i just cannot get. the pry bar keeps slipping off the body . the hole where the bush goes onto the arm is a good bit smaller than the part of the arm itself but it was the same on both and one is on ,i can get it half on , bar slips , then it pushes back off .its a hateful job. anyone got any tips on it ? .i spent hours t it today and gave up hoping someone on here can tell me where i am screwing up .
twowheelstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 23:34   #2
twowheelstony
Regular poster

hopefully a pic of the bushes shows up there .
i have heated the bushes in hot water and lubed with washing up liquid as i thought that oil may harm the polyurethene .
is there much involved in pulling the arm off the car any fitting while off?, id rather not do this but if needs be ill have to.

pic not loading, there are the solid red poly bushes as seen on ebay .i shoulda got the 2 piece just for ease of use
Old 2nd February 2017, 00:46   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I assume you are using the bush housings that came off the car? Are they an exact match. When I tried the powerflex bushes I ran into similar problems. The bushes are manufactured to fit OEM bush carriers some aftermarket parts differ in what would normally be unnoticeable ways - until you remove the worn out centre 'rubber' and try and replace with a poly bush. You have two options: get some standard bushes and put those on OR carefully file down the flats on the arm that is having a fitting problem until it only just fits.

Just checking, did both bushes press into the housings with equal ease/difficulty? It can be easy to miss the outer metal ring inside the original bushes. If the inner diameter is slightly small the bush may go in but be distorted (Compressed) making the center hex too tight.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:51   #4
twowheelstony
Regular poster

i have a few spare outers so ill measure it all up today and see how it goes .
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:57   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I bet the difference is in the casting of the arms....
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:10   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

If you use original arms they tend to fit a lot easier as they are slightly thinner as they come out of the bush. Non genuine arms tend to be slightly fatter at this point.

You have a couple of options if you want to use your arms. Get a bigger lever and they will go but be prepared for battle. The poly bush will squashed but it does not seem to effect them at all. The other option is to file some metal off the arm, in effect slightly lengthen the hexagon shaped part. You only need a few mm extra.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:13   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelstony View Post
One piece polyurethene bush fitment
Is this something new? Haven't seen a one piece in PU.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 23:41   #8
twowheelstony
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Is this something new? Haven't seen a one piece in PU.

TC
i can only link to pics .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-M...8AAOSwaNBUeKNi

on ebay as
Rover 75 MGZT Front Wishbone Rear Bushes in Duraflex Polyurethane

the arm was the problem alright , it had 2 very prominent casting lines along the sides as you looked at it , the left side one was a lot cleaner , i ground them down a bit and champherd the bush a bit and it went on with some leverage .
Old 3rd February 2017, 06:44   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelstony View Post
i can only link to pics .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-M...8AAOSwaNBUeKNi

on ebay as
Rover 75 MGZT Front Wishbone Rear Bushes in Duraflex Polyurethane

the arm was the problem alright , it had 2 very prominent casting lines along the sides as you looked at it , the left side one was a lot cleaner , i ground them down a bit and champherd the bush a bit and it went on with some leverage .
I am glad you got it sorted but I am not sure those bushes will last that long. The idea of the two piece version is they act like a proper hinge, what is going to move? If they move in the carrier which is what I suspect they will do they could wear out quite quickly. I know the 2 part ones are a lot more expensive but once fitted they should never need doing again.

Steve
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:07   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It will be interesting to hear how they perform. The two piece PowerFlex system became quite popular on the forums, but it's rarely mentioned these days. There were mixed opinions about those too, but no longer term updates are reported as far as I can see. The Duraflex solid PU bush seems to be based on directly opposite principles to the two part PowerFlex low resistance coupling. I'd expect considerable differences in feel and driveability as well as service life. I have the impression that the beefed up rubber bush design derived from the OEM units are more favoured. Is there any convincing evidence that one or other design is the best?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote