Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th September 2018, 20:02   #1
Salmon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi Connesuer

Default Speaker recommendations please

I’m wondering if on a budget of £100 can I get X4 straight swap speakers for my 75 that will make a noticeable improvement from the originals?

Any recommendations with links or specific named speakers would be appreciated. Thanks

Also is anyone making and selling the MDF mounting rings these days?
Old 11th September 2018, 22:03   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

The MDF rings are available here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MDF-Front...EAAOSwQglamnov

I fitted Focal access 165as in mine earlier in the year but were more than your budget but were well worth it. With some shopping about I got two sets for £150.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 22:56   #3
Salmon
Loves to post

Focal 165AS ACCESS 6.5" 17cm

Is 17cm OK for or cars? I keep reading 165 mm I know its only 5mm but want to be certain.

Can I ask where you got that great deal as I’m seeing them for min £104 for 2

Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 07:05   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Yes you need 165's. I found them on Ebay and I think they came from Malaysia. They took about 2 weeks to get here but it was worth the wait.

There are some on there at £85 a set but for some reason the link doesn't work.

If you want to save some cash the tweeters on the rear are probably not 100 necessary.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 18:47   #5
Salmon
Loves to post

They seem to sell them for £85 without tweeter & £109 with.
I presume the tweeters fit our cars.
Also; They keep publishing 170mm so I’m a bit anxious

‘’Focal 165AS ACCESS 6.5" 17cm 120 Watts Component Car Stereo Mid Tweeter Speakers’’

My tape measure puts 6.5” as 165mm

Can I assume 17cm is incorrect and just order them?

Also would it be silly to just buy 1 pair with tweeters & do the front. Or is that a waste of time?

Thanks

Last edited by Salmon; 13th September 2018 at 18:51..
Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2018, 13:56   #6
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

I'd presume just the front speakers upgraded would make a difference, if, like me, you have the balance set more forward anyway.
I'd also like better speakers, and I keep looking at the Harmon Kardon rear sub woofer shelf, but have absolutely no idea how to fit one!!
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2018, 20:11   #7
Salmon
Loves to post

I received the MDF mounts today from ebay . Well made.
I’ve decided to just replace the fonts for now and then maybe in the future use coaxials in the back.
I think the Focals will be great but would welcome alternative suggestions for slightly less money.
Old 15th September 2018, 21:16   #8
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

The Focals are good and fit fine. If £100 is fixed you can normally get them for £60 or less second hand.

EDIT - I prefer Rainbow's though.

Last edited by Jakg; 15th September 2018 at 21:19..
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 14:14   #9
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Is it the same size in the rear doors of a tourer? Want a bit more oomph as the stock speakers appear to be from a portable pocket radio and I've got no room for a sub (need all the boot space).

Annoyingly the cheap as chips Viva has far better sound...
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 15:22   #10
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I fitted a set of Hertz DSK 165.5 80w RMS components for the front, with the crossovers fitted in the hole above the original speakers (they fit perfectly in there when pushing them inside and they stay there tight without coming out) and a set of Hertz DCX 165.5 60w RMS for the rear, with a 4x90 RMS channel BOSS R2504 amp in the boot (fitted on the "roof" of the boot with 4 screws), I used 8 gauge wires for the installation and double shielded Amazon Basics RCA cables (which made a HUGE difference in sound quality), and that's pretty much it, I am overly impressed with the sound, deep lows, strong and clear mids, and very sharp highs, and the whole system took me about 4-5 hours of installing and wiring it and about 200 pounds if my memory serves me good, you definitely NEED a good amp when buying new speakers because the stock units are not built to drive bigger wattage speakers, not even an Android head unit for example won't handle it (they put out about 45W RMS per channel which is not enough for someone that wants quality and a good listening experience at the same time), just to take a note, if you buy, let's say in my case, 60w RMS sets for the rear, and 80w RMS set for the front, as a rule of thumb you need an amp that outputs a max of 1.5x more wattage per channel than the lowest speaker max output (in my case the 60w RMS set for the rear), so 60x1.5=90w, and hence my choice for the BOSS R2504 90w per channel amp, and when setting the gain on the amp, set it with the volume on the head unit at the max level, this way when you turn your volume at max level on the unit you don't get distortion I was setting it at 70% of the max volume level and when having no music at all played, and even with the volume on 0, I was getting a hissing sound through the speakers, which turned out to be the amp amplifying signals it didn't need to, because gain was set with the volume lower than max, so the amp needed to amplify at a higher rate to give out sound at a lower output, does that make sense to you? Haha, whatever, for me this way worked so that's how I'm helping you forward, have a nice day
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote