Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd January 2019, 10:12   #1
Evasirius
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Pressure build up rover 75

Hi everyone. My Rover 75 1.8T has Pressure building up in cooling system, top hose bulging. Water on floor dripping from under car. System bled by garage last month, internal heater takes a while to get warm but does eventually heat up. Head gasket had a full overhaul including skimming 2016. Car engine only done 74,000 miles. Used Steel Seal once. Car running well, no misfiring, no emulsification of oil. Any ideas on what it could be please. Bought car last August.:
Evasirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:48   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The cooling system normally operates under pressure (up to 22psi or so), so do you mean there's excessive pressure? Is the header cap releasing coolant? If coolant isn't being ejected, the pressure may be normal for the temperature involved. Do you know the running temperature?

Does the radiator fan operate correctly? (Demist Test?)

You note the top hose is bulging, do you mean it feels hard or does it look balloon-like? If it's enlarging, it should be replaced because the internal structure is damaged.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:57   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Are you overfilling the header tank? The "Max" level is actually at the bottom of the visible section of the header tank. Overfilling will result in overflow via the pressure cap release. The "empty" top section of the tank is to allow for expansion. Always check when engine is absolutely cold.
Old 2nd January 2019, 14:20   #4
Evasirius
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The cooling system normally operates under pressure (up to 22psi or so), so do you mean there's excessive pressure? Is the header cap releasing coolant? If coolant isn't being ejected, the pressure may be normal for the temperature involved. Do you know the running temperature?

Does the radiator fan operate correctly? (Demist Test?)

You note the top hose is bulging, do you mean it feels hard or does it look balloon-like? If it's enlarging, it should be replaced because the internal structure is damaged.

TC
Thank you for your input. Header cap has recently been replaced. It doesn't appear to be releasing fluid. I have added another bottle of Steel Seal this morning and there doesn't appear to be anymore fluid loss i.e. underneath car shows no damp on the Tarmac as before. Top hose, I think may be weak, and therefore bulges so may need replacing.
Old 2nd January 2019, 14:27   #5
Evasirius
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Are you overfilling the header tank? The "Max" level is actually at the bottom of the visible section of the header tank. Overfilling will result in overflow via the pressure cap release. The "empty" top section of the tank is to allow for expansion. Always check when engine is absolutely cold.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Not overfilling as have kept a keen eye on max level. Leak underneath stopped at mo. Put another bottle of Steel Seal in this morning. Will check if internal heating system any better tommorow. Hope it's just been an air lock. She drives like a dream! 😃
Old 2nd January 2019, 14:40   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Steel Seal
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 14:57   #7
Evasirius
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Steel Seal
Is this a post from a competitor of the company that make Steel Seal or just some kind of unhelpful form of attempted wit?
Old 2nd January 2019, 15:22   #8
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evasirius View Post
Is this a post from a competitor of the company that make Steel Seal or just some kind of unhelpful form of attempted wit?
I'm afraid those type of products generally fix the symptoms, but not the cause. They can sometimes get you out of trouble, but the future repair can be more difficult because of the product being in the engine.

In your case I think someone should have tried to find the source of the leak, maybe a cracked or deformed plastic Y-pipe or other plastic cooling system component. Your radiator hose does sound like it is due for replacement.
stick around. There is a wealth of help here.

How long ago was the head gasket replacement done? You may have said, but I can't remember.

Cheers,
Glenn

Edit: I see the head gasket was replaced 2 years ago. That shouldn't be at fault.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2

Last edited by slovcan; 2nd January 2019 at 15:24.. Reason: New info
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:47   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evasirius View Post
Hello Yvonne and to the club. I would like to explain suzublu's admittedly enigmatic post. It is actually not a good idea to put Steel Seal (or another product of the same type called K-Seal) into the cooling system. It is supposed to seal fissures in a head gasket. Firstly, we don't yet have reliable evidence that your head gasket is at fault and secondly sealing products of this kind can also seal parts which need to move, for example the thermostat in the cooling system.

So my advice is to cease putting Steel Seal into your engine immediately. You should also check that the radiator fan is working properly as T-Cut recommended. The way to do this (the so-called 'demist test') is as follows:
  1. Start the engine from cold.
  2. Press the windscreen demist button on the heating/air conditioning control panel.
  3. Get out of the car and walk to the front grille. Can you hear the radiator fan making a continuous noise like a hairdryer?

Please report back with the answer as soon as possible.

Simon
Old 2nd January 2019, 19:12   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The steel seal will be the cause of your heater taking a long time to get up to heat, the matrix will be full of the horrible stuff, blocking the thin channels.

I guess the passenger side vents are considerably colder than the drivers side?