Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th January 2019, 12:18   #1
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Default Subframe Captive Nut Suspension Arm - Can I repair it?

Hi, I have the subframe off my saloon. When taking out the suspension arms both captive nuts started spinning so I have to open up the metal holding guide and back washer thing to get a spanner on to hold it,so that I could undo the bolt.

I will de-rust the subframe and replace the arms.

However..... any ideas what I can do the replace these captive nuts? I assume they are specially designed with the back plate and guides that the base of the square nut slides into? Or will a replacement nut and spring washer so the same job?

It looks an important design feature, and clearly I don't want the nut coming loose over time!!

Any help much appreciated. See photo of under side of sub frame.

Cheers, Rich

rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 12:38   #2
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Right got there in the end .. here is a pic of the original nut.... which is now out and the holder no longer there! I'll get an other photo to show as it is now :-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9419.jpg (118.4 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by rik007; 7th January 2019 at 12:41..
Old 7th January 2019, 13:49   #3
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Here is the battered about hole with the nut removed ...
Photo 07-01-2019, 14 21 18.jpg
Old 7th January 2019, 15:41   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
Hi, I have the subframe off my saloon. When taking out the suspension arms both captive nuts started spinning so I have to open up the metal holding guide and back washer thing to get a spanner on to hold it,so that I could undo the bolt.

I will de-rust the subframe and replace the arms.

However..... any ideas what I can do the replace these captive nuts? I assume they are specially designed with the back plate and guides that the base of the square nut slides into? Or will a replacement nut and spring washer so the same job?

It looks an important design feature, and clearly I don't want the nut coming loose over time!!

Any help much appreciated. See photo of under side of sub frame.

Cheers, Rich

To be honest I didnt replace the captive nut at all, i used a standard nut, used a spanner on it through that top access hole, and reassemble the entire subframe complete with arms, all off the car, then offered the whole lot up to the car.

You have yours off the car by the looks of things so you can do the same.

Once you have had the sub frame off the car, you realize it is not as daunting a task as it first appears, so i accepted that if I need to do that job again in future it would be a sub frame off job. However i made sure to strongly treat and paint the new arms before putting them on, so hoping they wont need doing again.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 15:47   #5
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Thanks David, this is helpful!

Yes, the frame is off the car. I think overall is easier and as it turned out essential to get my stubborn nuts off (if you'll excuse the expression). They needed a blow torch and long lever to budge them.

On the car it would have been a nightmare unless a ramp is available. My local garage refused to do the job ... bunch of light weights its not rocket science is it!

Many thanks, Rich
Old 7th January 2019, 21:20   #6
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
To be honest I didnt replace the captive nut at all, i used a standard nut, used a spanner on it through that top access hole, and reassemble the entire subframe complete with arms, all off the car, then offered the whole lot up to the car.

You have yours off the car by the looks of things so you can do the same.

Once you have had the sub frame off the car, you realize it is not as daunting a task as it first appears, so i accepted that if I need to do that job again in future it would be a sub frame off job. However i made sure to strongly treat and paint the new arms before putting them on, so hoping they wont need doing again.
Think thats what i did iirc.

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote