Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th February 2019, 21:34   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Possible Cracked Head?

I used to own a book "Everybody's Home Doctor", the trouble was, if you read it, you'd got it and in a way, reading through the information on this site, and elsewhere, I think maybe, I've got a crack in the engine.

Last Sunday at the Ugly Duckling meet, I arrived there with a large amount of steam coming from the engine compartment. It appeared that there was coolant coming from around the exhaust manifold of the 1.8T, higher than the area where the head gasket fits. I was able to get home, topping up when cool enough at the two stops I made in the relatively short journey home.

I found that some of the exhaust manifold bolts were not torqued up, and one stud was completely missing. I now have a gasket, and am expecting some studs to arrive soon, so I was preparing the beast today for what to me is a major surgery. Whilst underneath I was aware of an occasional drip of coolant from around the area of said gasket, and in fact could see a slight run of fluid from the area of a lower stud, one which actually, if really turned, does not appear to tighten 100%.

Now, on reading various historical notes on here, I realize there are no coolant channels to be sealed by the exhaust manifold gasket. In fact, some members report that in the past they too have had similar symptoms, but luckily, I don't think any had cracked blocks.

I will now try to go ahead with the gasket replacement and then refitting of the manifold with new studs and will have to see what happens. I love this car, well most of it.

I needed my car early next week, and my project car is not ready for the MOT.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 21:45   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I used to own a book "Everybody's Home Doctor", the trouble was, if you read it, you'd got it and in a way, reading through the information on this site, and elsewhere, I think maybe, I've got a crack in the engine.

Last Sunday at the Ugly Duckling meet, I arrived there with a large amount of steam coming from the engine compartment. It appeared that there was coolant coming from around the exhaust manifold of the 1.8T, higher than the area where the head gasket fits. I was able to get home, topping up when cool enough at the two stops I made in the relatively short journey home.

I found that some of the exhaust manifold bolts were not torqued up, and one stud was completely missing. I now have a gasket, and am expecting some studs to arrive soon, so I was preparing the beast today for what to me is a major surgery. Whilst underneath I was aware of an occasional drip of coolant from around the area of said gasket, and in fact could see a slight run of fluid from the area of a lower stud, one which actually, if really turned, does not appear to tighten 100%.

Now, on reading various historical notes on here, I realize there are no coolant channels to be sealed by the exhaust manifold gasket. In fact, some members report that in the past they too have had similar symptoms, but luckily, I don't think any had cracked blocks.

I will now try to go ahead with the gasket replacement and then refitting of the manifold with new studs and will have to see what happens. I love this car, well most of it.

I needed my car early next week, and my project car is not ready for the MOT.
Check all of the hoses carefully, including the little one that supplies the turbo.

It won't be a cracked head, I've yet to see an 1800 suffering this malady

Also common is the failure of the head gasket elastomer seal on the jacket spaces at the front of cylinder 3, causing the water to be ejected directly underneath the exhaust manifold.

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 21:53   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Check all of the hoses carefully, including the little one that supplies the turbo.

It won't be a cracked head, I've yet to see an 1800 suffering this malady

Also common is the failure of the head gasket elastomer seal on the jacket spaces at the front of cylinder 3, causing the water to be ejected directly underneath the exhaust manifold.

Best of luck

Brian
Many thanks for that Brian; with the engine off and cold I could see this little trickle of fluid and suspect I won't be able to pinpoint that until I have the manifold off.
Old 12th February 2019, 21:57   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You may have to helicoil (The threaded insert type is better) The damaged thread, I have seen a couple where the threads have been pulled out by previous over zealous tightening!
Old 12th February 2019, 22:24   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You may have to helicoil (The threaded insert type is better) The damaged thread, I have seen a couple where the threads have been pulled out by previous over zealous tightening!
Hmm, thanks for that, I've just watched a couple of advisory videos on Youtube for this action.
Old 12th February 2019, 22:38   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Hmm, thanks for that, I've just watched a couple of advisory videos on Youtube for this action.
They work far better than a helicoil, I have used them on a few occasions, when put into aluminium, they are much stronger than the original thread.
Old 13th February 2019, 18:19   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Well, I have had a go at several things this week, lucky to have the time.

The studs arrived today (the type suggested by MGJohn with the allen key fitting), still waiting for the manifold to turbo gasket, but thought I would have a go at preparing everything and freeing things up.

I did manage to get to the stage where I had access to the exhaust manifold studs (1.8T) by moving the alternator. Each one of the three top turbo/manifold bolts started to round, no chance of shifting them.

I tightened everything up again, and may have to ask for professional help; well I had a go. Perhaps, it would be good to have a visit by a 75 knowledgeable professional, as I still cannot move the bush bolts on the other project vehicle - doh!

Last edited by planenut; 13th February 2019 at 18:23..
Old 13th February 2019, 18:38   #8
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Slight Hi jack here,,Trikey,do you have a link for these Thread Inserts you mention ??

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 18:43   #9
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Slight Hi jack here,,Trikey,do you have a link for these Thread Inserts you mention ??
I had a look online at Screwfix, but Machine Mart have this
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/040216678/

which appears to have the same function but cheaper.
Old 16th February 2019, 19:03   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Well I gave the beast a fourteen mile run on Thursday and had no leakage, and when cooled down, still no leakage and no loss of coolant.
Yesterday, gave her a harder run and for longer distance, again, same result.
Today, had another go at tightening all the manifold bolts including that which I thought had lost it's thread, all good. No loss of fluid and no leaks.

I will be using it for my journey next week and take extra coolant with me.