Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th April 2019, 19:17   #1
fontaine666
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Coolant leak issue

Hi all.

Was driving then parked up for a bit. When parked I noticed coolant leaking from under the car between the front wheels through whatever hole that is in the chassis.

Only lasted for a minute or two and have no further leaks since.

Could this just be an innocent overflow situation or do you think it could be more sinister?

Engine temp gauge looks fine and can't see any issues with damage to hoses etc when I look under the hood.

All help would be very gratefully received.
fontaine666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 19:48   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Could just be aircon condenser. There are 2 pipes under the car which drip condensation now & again
The temp gauge is useless btw, use the OBD diagnostics for real engine temp https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=55585
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 20:27   #3
fontaine666
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Could just be aircon condenser. There are 2 pipes under the car which drip condensation now & again
The temp gauge is useless btw, use the OBD diagnostics for real engine temp https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=55585
It did drop quite a bit and was definitely the coolant colour, pinkish. But was only for a short time and hasn't happened since.
Old 11th April 2019, 20:35   #4
fontaine666
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
What should the engine temp be when using the OBD?
Old 11th April 2019, 21:10   #5
fontaine666
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Forget all that. Cars just got rid of all fluid and majorly overheated. Garage time.
Old 11th April 2019, 21:15   #6
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

I kept having this issue on mine.for me it was the top rad elbow o ring,solved with a thicker one from b&q,as I just could not seal it no matter what.also another thing I reckon catches us 1.8 owners out is the coolant cap.as you screw it on it gets tight so far down the thread leading you to believe it’s on but keep going then it clicks and frees up and then tightens some more.caught me out the other day,lesson learned 🙄.wonder how many head gaskets have actually failed through that🤨

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 21:49   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
- - - - - another thing I reckon catches us 1.8 owners out is the coolant cap.as you screw it on it gets tight so far down the thread leading you to believe it’s on but keep going then it clicks and frees up and then tightens some more.

That doesn't sound right. The caps are the same on all engines and no-one has ever reported what you describe. The cap has a simple one stage thread, no clicks, no second go. I'd suggest this cap has gone beyond it's use by date. Overtightening is the number one cause of cap problems, crushed seals, pressure leaks and seized valve housings. I'd suggest a new cap and a little silicone lube on the threads and rubber parts will solve it. And only a gentle tightening.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 22:46   #8
fontaine666
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
That doesn't sound right. The caps are the same on all engines and no-one has ever reported what you describe. The cap has a simple one stage thread, no clicks, no second go. I'd suggest this cap has gone beyond it's use by date. Overtightening is the number one cause of cap problems, crushed seals, pressure leaks and seized valve housings. I'd suggest a new cap and a little silicone lube on the threads and rubber parts will solve it. And only a gentle tightening.

TC
I was driving with the OBD to see what the engine temp was, all of a sudden it shot up to 125+, the red coolant light came on the screen and the temp gauge went all the way up, so I stopped immediately and turned off the engine. The coolant liquid was pouring from underneath the car.

Have just left it where it is.

Does this sound like a head gasket issue?

Thank you for your help.
Old 11th April 2019, 23:09   #9
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine666 View Post
I was driving with the OBD to see what the engine temp was, all of a sudden it shot up to 125+, the red coolant light came on the screen and the temp gauge went all the way up, so I stopped immediately and turned off the engine. The coolant liquid was pouring from underneath the car.

Have just left it where it is.

Does this sound like a head gasket issue?

Thank you for your help.
That sounds more like a ruptured coolant hose. By stopping and shutting the engine off immediately you have probably saved the head gasket(s).

Hope it works out OK.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 14:09   #10
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC
Agree with you re the cap - mine has never done that in 6 years of ownership- as you say gentle tightening to save the O-rings - and i change my cap every 12 months or so.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote