Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th October 2021, 18:16   #1
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Default NI Mot backlog

Anybody from NI need an MOT in a hurry?
Went to book mine for a couple of cars last night and closest date I could get was 17th January!
There is some blurb with the renewal letter saying PSNI are aware of the situation and will (let you off?) if you can show you have booked an MOT but drivers should contact their insurance brokers. Ehhh….??
There are some posts about it on t’internet, from various sources, but no specific statements from PSNI or DVLNI that I can see.
Also, i haven’t found out what happens if you have no MOT and are therefore unable to tax your car!
What a farce.!!!

Need to find that bit of paper and read it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2021, 19:06   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
Anybody from NI need an MOT in a hurry?
Went to book mine for a couple of cars last night and closest date I could get was 17th January!
There is some blurb with the renewal letter saying PSNI are aware of the situation and will (let you off?) if you can show you have booked an MOT but drivers should contact their insurance brokers. Ehhh….??
There are some posts about it on t’internet, from various sources, but no specific statements from PSNI or DVLNI that I can see.
Also, i haven’t found out what happens if you have no MOT and are therefore unable to tax your car!
What a farce.!!!

Need to find that bit of paper and read it again!

Mine expired yesterday. I did try to book it the day after my reminder came through (first or second week of sept!). Larne is my preferred centre, and the earliest I could get was 27th November. Tried elsewhere, and nowhere earlier, except Newtownards ............ for the following week! It would not let me select Newtownards closer to the 17th Oct.

Since at the time I wanted to replace the tyres (3 out of 4 passable, but they would need replaced soon anyway - yes they are now aligned lol) and a back box (getting a full system tomorrow, in all of its stainless beauty), I took the Larne apt. with the intention of trying for a cancellation (for those that are not aware, you cannot get a cancellation without having an appointment booked).

Based upon what, I could swear, I read on the NIDirect website at the time I did mine. PSNI are aware and will show consideration on the conditions that the car is safe and roadworthy, also that there is an appointment booked within a reasonable period of time. Additionally, there was a mention that it was the keeper's responsibility to obtain a test at the earliest opportunity, and this may not be at your preferred centre. I say, I swear I read, above, as the NIDirect site has been updated since I was on it in early september. So the important thing initially is the car must be roadworthy, and secondly an appointment booked (be good idea to carry a booking reference/screen shot with you). Be ready to state that your preferred centre was elsewhere, but I am guessing Newry? was the earliest

You could try for a cancellation though HERE - but the site will be down between 9 and 11pm tonight.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 18th October 2021 at 19:08..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2021, 22:59   #3
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Mine expired yesterday. I did try to book it the day after my reminder came through (first or second week of sept!). Larne is my preferred centre, and the earliest I could get was 27th November. Tried elsewhere, and nowhere earlier, except Newtownards ............ for the following week! It would not let me select Newtownards closer to the 17th Oct.

Since at the time I wanted to replace the tyres (3 out of 4 passable, but they would need replaced soon anyway - yes they are now aligned lol) and a back box (getting a full system tomorrow, in all of its stainless beauty), I took the Larne apt. with the intention of trying for a cancellation (for those that are not aware, you cannot get a cancellation without having an appointment booked).

Based upon what, I could swear, I read on the NIDirect website at the time I did mine. PSNI are aware and will show consideration on the conditions that the car is safe and roadworthy, also that there is an appointment booked within a reasonable period of time. Additionally, there was a mention that it was the keeper's responsibility to obtain a test at the earliest opportunity, and this may not be at your preferred centre. I say, I swear I read, above, as the NIDirect site has been updated since I was on it in early september. So the important thing initially is the car must be roadworthy, and secondly an appointment booked (be good idea to carry a booking reference/screen shot with you). Be ready to state that your preferred centre was elsewhere, but I am guessing Newry? was the earliest

You could try for a cancellation though HERE - but the site will be down between 9 and 11pm tonight.

Thanks Alan. I think it’s got a lot worse since September.
Newry would have been my preferred location, but it didnt even show up as a choice last night.😱
I’m guessing they were massively oversubscribed.
I’ve booked Armagh, but soonest date was 17th January for the tourer. January seemed to be the earliest date in most test centres.
I’m tentatively ok with that as the car is taxed until April as far as I can recall, and it’s now what I would call roadworthy, (fwiw), having all of Septembers mot failure points addressed.
Namely both rear sills, both rear arms (even tho it was only OSR that was suspect), and osf spring relocated in the strut.
I did do a screenshot of mot booking to my phone, just in case, but what gets my goat is the vagueness of it all.
Tbh, I don’t mind if I can’t get mot’d till jan, feb or July next year, so long as I’m legally covered to drive, with insurance.
What I would have issue with, is if mr plod pulled me up for it (if car was totally roadworthy of course), or if there was an accident and insurer declared my policy as null and void, due to lack of MOT. I don’t really think that any insurance company would take MY perception of “road worthiness” into account!

Let me know how the stainless exhaust works out.😃

2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote