Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd January 2013, 17:54   #1
trevor searle

Rover 75 connoisseur

Default car draining battery over 24 hours

Can anyone help please... we have a 75 connoisseur and we have put a new battery on her but the car is draining the battery if its left standing for more than 36 hours.....we've had all the electrics checked out and nothing is using more power than needed and we;ve also tested the alternator by disconnecting all the electrics and seeing if the alternator has any affect but the battery still lost power.......please help anyone....its one of those nagging problems which is spoiling the joyment of the car
trevor searle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:07   #2
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Have you checked that the boot light goes out when the lid is shut? If it stays on long enough, it will eventually drain the battery.

2. Do you always switch the radio off before switching the ignition off? If you don't, I have been told that this can gradually drain power, even though the radio appears to go off when the ignition is turned off (don't ask me why).
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:18   #3
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Just a trick ,you say 24 hours so one to two ampere are drained continuously

1 amp x 12 volts = 12 watts (not negligible)

By this season ,car completely cold ,i guess you can feel it somewhere.

Good luck

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:05   #4
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Do you have the factory highline with satnav? After water got into mine my nav unit refused to shut down so the disc was running 24/7 with both the lights on the unit in the boot.

Easy check, open the boot and leave open the nav should shut down after a couple of mins. My nav is currently sitting in the airing cupboard and hopefully will be ok when re-fitted. This would flatten my battery enough to stop the car turning over within a day or two.

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:35   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Need more input. LOL.

Did you fully charge the new battery before fitting it ???
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:55   #6
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

using a multi meter connected to the battery start pulling all the fuses one by one till you see chance in the meter reading ,when that happens see what fuse it is then you will know what is draining the battery .
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:07   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor searle View Post
... the car is draining the battery if its left standing for more than 36 hours.....
Trevor, to the club.

First of all, can you tell us what happens when you put the key into the ignition and try to start the car. Do you:
  1. Hear a click, but the starter motor doesn't turn.
  2. Various dashboard lights flash randomly in a worrying manner
  3. Absolutely nothing happens; no click or lights.

Thank you.

Simon.
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:37   #8
MattyC
Gets stuck in

MG6 1.8 Turbo TSE in Burnt Orange

If you can, check if the alternator is "warm" to the touch when the engine has been standing for 6+ hours. If so, it could be a duff alternator.

Mods: 17" meteor wheels | Steve916's Auto boot lifters | Leather electric memory seats | Dynavin Android DD Headunit | MG7 grille (was a V8 grille, long story!) | SEAT Leon Cupra splitter (colour coded) | ZT sideskirts | BigRuss/marinabrian 160 remap | Roverron Synergy 2A | Arctics Modified Handbrake Compensator

Thanks to those who've helped, providing advice and info, supplying/manufacturing parts, even fitting things for me!
MattyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:50   #9
trevor searle

Rover 75 connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Have you checked that the boot light goes out when the lid is shut? If it stays on long enough, it will eventually drain the battery.

2. Do you always switch the radio off before switching the ignition off? If you don't, I have been told that this can gradually drain power, even though the radio appears to go off when the ignition is turned off (don't ask me why).
thanks for all the comments to our problem..... we have checked the sast nav compartment in boot and the boot light goes out.... we've tried all internal lights....basically we've tried all that everyone has suggested all but one,....Simon... in answer to your question.#we have a clicking when starting but with no start, all interior and exterior lights flash including the headlights which does seem to be strange cos we don't believe that they are connected to the alarm system, however less than a 5 minute charge on the battery is enough to start the car????? we are using a 3 week old battery which is 640 starting amps and 75 ah
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:52   #10
trevor searle

Rover 75 connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Trevor, to the club.

First of all, can you tell us what happens when you put the key into the ignition and try to start the car. Do you:
  1. Hear a click, but the starter motor doesn't turn.
  2. Various dashboard lights flash randomly in a worrying manner
  3. Absolutely nothing happens; no click or lights.
Thank you.

Simon.
thanks for all the comments to our problem..... we have checked the sast nav compartment in boot and the boot light goes out.... we've tried all internal lights....basically we've tried all that everyone has suggested all but one,....Simon... in answer to your question.#we have a clicking when starting but with no start, all interior and exterior lights flash including the headlights which does seem to be strange cos we don't believe that they are connected to the alarm system, however less than a 5 minute charge on the battery is enough to start the car????? we are using a 3 week old battery which is 640 starting amps and 75 ah