Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd March 2013, 10:00   #1
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Default Strong smell of petrol

I have noticed a strong smell of petrol inside the car recently. It doesn't happen all the time; it is worse when the engine is idling, e.g. while standing in a queue of traffic; and my impression is that it is worse in cold weather.

I can't see any trace of a leak, and petrol consumption doesn't seem to be any worse than it always was.

Any ideas, chaps?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:43   #2
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

I think this is caused by a broken breather pipe, I am sure Pab will be along shortly to tell you exactly which bit
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:52   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

A smell of Petrol? or do you mean exhaust fumes?

If the smell in the cabin is exhaust fumes as Rich says this could point to a broken breather pipe. Remove the engine cover and check for oil around the pipe connections.

Petrol fumes, a bit more difficult to trace, hazardous and needs to be rectified.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:18   #4
Charles
Avid contributor

I thought it smelt more like petrol, but I don't have a strong sense of smell and exhaust fumes is a possibility. The smell is very strong at times, but at other times I can't smell it at all.

I've taken the engine cover off and can't see any signs of leaks. However, there is a yellow plastic T-shaped junction next to the alternator where three black pipes meet. The pipes themselves look OK but the plastic union is oily and brittle and the pipes slide on and off very easily, suggesting there may be a little leakage there. Would that account for smells getting into the cabin?

One other possibility: I know the middle section of the exhaust is ready for replacing, and may be leaking fumes underneath the car. Would they be able to penetrate inside when the windows are shut?
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:48   #5
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

I have a small leak ( as in a tiny drip ) on the rear fuel rail which causes a strong smell of petrol inside the car, especially when it is really cold. I need to find some time & get over to Russ's & get it fixed.

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 17:05   #6
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I thought it smelt more like petrol, but I don't have a strong sense of smell and exhaust fumes is a possibility. The smell is very strong at times, but at other times I can't smell it at all.

I've taken the engine cover off and can't see any signs of leaks. However, there is a yellow plastic T-shaped junction next to the alternator where three black pipes meet. The pipes themselves look OK but the plastic union is oily and brittle and the pipes slide on and off very easily, suggesting there may be a little leakage there. Would that account for smells getting into the cabin?

One other possibility: I know the middle section of the exhaust is ready for replacing, and may be leaking fumes underneath the car. Would they be able to penetrate inside when the windows are shut?
Suspect that the o rings on the fuel rail are perished, I had the probblem when I first got the newer ZT, you need to remove the engine cover, and look at the fuel rail on the left hand side, the pipe which runs from the back bank to the front bank, and if you feel around that area, you might find the problem

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 17:27   #7
Charles
Avid contributor

This is starting to sound like a garage job! The next question is, if there is a leak on the fuel rail or a problem with the "O" rings, is it safe to drive the car until the problem is fixed?
Old 2nd March 2013, 17:39   #8
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is starting to sound like a garage job! The next question is, if there is a leak on the fuel rail or a problem with the "O" rings, is it safe to drive the car until the problem is fixed?
Charles

I would check first to see, if you have got a fuel leak, as I mentioned. When I noticed mine, it was whilst exhaust was being done, so had to drive it home, then next day got new O rings fitted

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 16:14   #9
Charles
Avid contributor

Have now checked this out but can't find anything amiss. I have checked the front fuel rail, and the pipe connecting the two rails as far back as I can, and there is no sign of any leakage. I can't get to the rear fuel rail to check that. Interestingly, however, there is absolutely no smell of petrol today, either inside the car or under the bonnet, even with the engine cover removed and the engine running! Is it possible that there could be something which leaks only when very cold - possibly something which contracts when cold?
Old 3rd March 2013, 16:34   #10
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

Exactly what i said in my previous post - usually mine only does it when it is very cold

Steve
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote