Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2013, 22:15   #11
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

i had this on my first 75 , it followed some work done on the injectors , the olive ends of the pipe going into the injectors are a soft alloy and if overtightened dont seal properly , the cavities at the injectors will then fill up as the leaking one overflows into each one .

just a thought .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 22:22   #12
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
i had this on my first 75 , it followed some work done on the injectors , the olive ends of the pipe going into the injectors are a soft alloy and if overtightened dont seal properly , the cavities at the injectors will then fill up as the leaking one overflows into each one .

just a thought .
IF thats my problem, how'd you fix it?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 22:43   #13
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
IF thats my problem, how'd you fix it?
in my case a new pipe to the injector solved the issue , item 7/6 in the rimmer link by mike noc,

Last edited by FLYER; 24th July 2013 at 22:50..
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 06:30   #14
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Still no closer to working this out...

I've had another look, even tried using some leak detector spray, can't find it

My Dad suggested that it could be some sort of blockage in the fuel return hose, and that when the engines running it's fine but when the engine stops, pressure builds up in the injector leak off pipes which causes the joints to leak (as they aren't made to hold any pressure).

This sounds possible to me, as my OBC fuel consumption is the same (making me think that it's putting the right amount of fuel into the engine and not losing any before it gets there), and it seems like I'll drive for a bit (and the economy is fine), i'll stop, get in the car the next day and the fuel gauge is a bit lower than I remember.

Does this make sense?
Old 13th August 2013, 07:24   #15
mrvandango
Gets stuck in

MG ZT, MGF, MX-5 Roadster

I think the fuel guage issue maybe a red herring, as every car I've owned has done that.. less fuel reading on the guage after a restart. The ZT is the worst so far lol
mrvandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 09:52   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Still no closer to working this out...

I've had another look, even tried using some leak detector spray, can't find it

My Dad suggested that it could be some sort of blockage in the fuel return hose, and that when the engines running it's fine but when the engine stops, pressure builds up in the injector leak off pipes which causes the joints to leak (as they aren't made to hold any pressure).

This sounds possible to me, as my OBC fuel consumption is the same (making me think that it's putting the right amount of fuel into the engine and not losing any before it gets there), and it seems like I'll drive for a bit (and the economy is fine), i'll stop, get in the car the next day and the fuel gauge is a bit lower than I remember.

Does this make sense?
Ignore the fuel gauge, they all do that. I find it seems to start low then rises as the engine warms up and mpg improves.

OBC is measured on pressure and injector opening time, so any lost fuel before the injectors will not be included in the measurement.

I cannot think of any leak detector spray for finding fuel leaks?

I would suggest drying out the entire area as a first step, then wrapping toilet tissue round all suspect pipes and joints. If a HP pipe is leaking, keep in mind that the pressure involved could mean the spray might land some distance from the leak, but the tissue will localise it. whichever bit of tissue gets wet first, is where your leak is.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 13th August 2013 at 09:55..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:05   #17
johnny t
Loves to post

MG ZT 135+/ MG ZT 260

Don't know if this will help but I had a leak on the return side, metal pipe on the front of the engine took me ages to find it was the smallest pin hole and the spray was so fine you really couldn't see it
Old 13th August 2013, 11:34   #18
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

I had a similar problem earlier this year. It turned out to be the "O" ring on one of the injectors which had perished.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 19:35   #19
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I had a similar problem earlier this year. It turned out to be the "O" ring on one of the injectors which had perished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny t View Post
Don't know if this will help but I had a leak on the return side, metal pipe on the front of the engine took me ages to find it was the smallest pin hole and the spray was so fine you really couldn't see it
These two sound interesting, could you post some more information please?

I'll try the tissue test over the weekend but last time I tried it I didn't really get any decent results
Old 13th August 2013, 19:46   #20
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Not much I can usefully add to my previous post. I was alerted to the problem by a strong smell of petrol and tried various possibilities to no avail. There was no visible moisture, even after removing the engine cover. Took the car to my local ex-Rover mechanic, who delved further and found one of the "O" rings on the rear fuel rail had failed - it wasn't visible until he started delving!
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote