Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th August 2017, 11:37   #1
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Default Tragic end to a lovely day

Fantastic day at Roverfest last Sunday. Good to see so many members and their cars, as well as the beautiful survivors from earlier years. Many thanks to everyone involved in organising the event.

Unfortunately, whilst we were driving up the M1 on our way home, a lorry cut in too sharply in front of me and took the front end off my pride and joy. There was a concrete crash barrier blocking off the hard shoulder, so there was no escape. Mercifully, nobody was hurt, although we were very shaken.

Sadly, it seems likely that the insurance company will write the car off, but there is no internal damage so I plan to keep and repair it. If anyone has, or knows of, a spare Mark I front bumper or front off-side wing, in good condition and preferably black, please feel free to mention it.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 11:49   #2
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Contact one of the club breakers, Trikey,Mickyboy, Cossie Dunc, MG Stephen, or look in parts for sale.
Old 20th August 2017, 11:55   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-S...kAAOSw-YVXle2m

Here you go, based in Hull, so not too far for you.
Old 20th August 2017, 11:57   #4
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

So sorry to hear what a lousy way to end the day but thankfully no one was hurt.
I may be very wrong but my understanding is that claiming against the lorries insurance they cannot write your car off, but are required to return you to your pre-accident condition; it's your insurers that may want to go down the write off route but it's your car so don't let them get their sticky mitts on it as you'll likely never see it again. Good luck hope your back on the road again soon

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 12:14   #5
Charles
Avid contributor

Thank you both.
Old 20th August 2017, 14:10   #6
Hantsdave
Loves to post

2004 CDTi SE TOURER

Of course relieved there are no injuries but my heart goes out to you as I would be devastated if some pillock swiped my pride and joy.
I hope and pray you can get it sorted without too much grief.
All the best.
Previously owned..Austin Mini Countryman, Austin 1100 VDP, Princess 2200HL (x2), Ambassador VDP, TR7, Triumph Stag, Rover 820, Rover 216 GSi, Rover 420D, Rover 600 Si, Rover 600 GSi, Montego GSi, Rover 216 cabriolet, Jaguar XJ6 Gold, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Tourer CDTi (x3), Rover 75 CDT x 2, Rover 75 Connie V6, Rover 45. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 x 2, Jeep Chrokee KK Plus a few other foreign ones I'm too embarrassed to mention..
Hantsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 14:15   #7
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

Horrid news, and I hope you get the car sorted soon.

It's one of the reasons SWMBO doesn't like driving my car.... not because of the car, but because she's frightened that even the smallest prang and the Ins. Co. will write it off.

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 16:12   #8
Charles
Avid contributor

Thank you both for your kind words and good wishes. It certainly wasn't a pleasant experience, and it remains to be seen how much the insurance company will offer me.
Old 20th August 2017, 16:39   #9
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Sorry to hear your bad news. Good luck with sorting out the insurance - remember: claim against the lorry driver's insurance not your own. And yes, they can declare it an uneconomic repair ('write off') and pay you the market value of the car (that's for you to haggle over when it comes to it). What they can't do is insist that you give up the car unless it's declared a class 'A' or 'B' (not fit to be repaired for the road). If writing it off they will have to give you the chance to buy back and repair at your own expense. Other routes are to agree a repair price using secondhand parts. First things first though - make sure you control where the vehicle is - preferably on your own land. But definitely not with any 'claims management' company. Then get the damage properly assessed (this is where it's an advantage to have it at your own home) by insistiing on a report from a qualified motor engineer. Be there when he comes to assess the car. Once a real motor engineer has assessed likely repair value (he'll also assess the car's value - which is why it is essential you are there when he examines the car so you can point out it's unique features that make it valuable). You then just have to haggle with the insurance co.

Very good luck to you.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 17:56   #10
Charles
Avid contributor

Thanks, Avulon, that's good advice. The car is currently on my drive, and it's staying there until the next stage is agreed. My insurance company initially passed the claim to a management company which only deals with claims where the other party is at fault, but when they contacted the company with which the lorry is insured, they found that the owners had not reported the incident, so their insurance company couldn't accept (or deny) liability. My claim was then passed on to my insurers' underwriters. I may be wrong, but my impression is that they think the easy way out is to write it off.

Can I insist that they pursue the matter with the other insurance company? If not, how can I find out who the other insurance company is, and can I take it up with them direct? Apart from anything else, after 35 years' driving without an accident, I don't want to lose my no claims discount!