Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th June 2021, 19:30   #11
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

There's a YouTube clip showing a rover 75 with a failed crank pulley. It is identical to what mine sounds like, even down to the noise kicking in a few seconds after starting the engine.
Old 29th June 2021, 19:51   #12
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Red face

I've just been digging through my cars service history. I had the crank pulley, tensioner, and belts changed 4 years and 1 month ago and have covered just over 28500 miles before its failed (presuming that's the issue)
Old 30th June 2021, 07:29   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

A failing water pump can sound just like a failing crank pulley. If you take the belts off you can check all the pulleys for play and roughness.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 08:19   #14
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Thanks Mike for your wisdom/advice.
I've just dropped the car off at a garage i Trust to investigate what's going on. I told him i was hedging my bets on it being the crank pulley, but he seemed to think the noise was coming from the top of the engine near to were the alternator/power steering belt is. This was just first impressions though, so will have a better idea later when he delves a little deeper in to it. It's now like watching a movie in suspense waiting for the plot.
I will let you know what the out come is when i find out later. Obviously i had no choice but to drive the car this morning to the garage. The awful sound completely disappeared when i put the engine under slight pressure but it comes back with a vengeance on tick over or, over run.Either way It looks I'm cycling to work tomorrow and the next few days to come. 32 miles round trip is certainly going to keep me occupied 🤣
Old 30th June 2021, 08:34   #15
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I am convinced it just needs a crank pulley and it can be changed in 30 minutes I've had quite a few do this
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 08:45   #16
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Fingers crossed Dave it's nothing to sinister.
I suppose I'd better pump the tyres up and oil the chain on the push bike for tomorrow
Old 30th June 2021, 10:00   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi John.
Do you not have any breakdown cover? if so i would have been inclined to take the drive to Jules, if you had broke down then get them to forward you onto him or drop the car off at his.

Lets hope the garage don't wipe your eye balls, or have your pants down on what needs doing, maybe wait for there diagnosis before saying go ahead and repair.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151487666547

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 10:20   #18
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Thanks for the advice Arctic. Ideally I would of liked to of got the car up to Jules. The problem was that I didn't feel to comfortable driving it the relatively long distance in its condition. If i did and it broke down i was worried i may of caused some more damage and then once over at his place, I would have to of worked out how to collect it again once repaired. With work being busy and spare time in short supply, i decided to take it to a trusted local garage I've been using for years. As you wisely say i will wait for the diagnosis before i commit to getting it repaired. The suspense is killing now and may go for a walk down there in minute to see if he's spotted what's wrong.
Old 30th June 2021, 10:32   #19
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

I you all remember Eric Dryuts from Belgum, had to drive from the Ferry in Kent to the Yeovilton Meeting with a failed pulley ,

Before I changed his Duff pully, so its possible and a bit risky

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Thanks for the advice Arctic. Ideally I would of liked to of got the car up to Jules. The problem was that I didn't feel to comfortable driving it the relatively long distance in its condition. If i did and it broke down i was worried i may of caused some more damage and then once over at his place, I would have to of worked out how to collect it again once repaired. With work being busy and spare time in short supply, i decided to take it to a trusted local garage I've been using for years. As you wisely say i will wait for the diagnosis before i commit to getting it repaired. The suspense is killing now and may go for a walk down there in minute to see if he's spotted what's wrong.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 7th July 2021 at 07:08..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 11:18   #20
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Just been for a stroll down to the garage. The guy is a one man business and must of been out on another job as the place was locked up. I could see my car inside though sitting on the lift, so he's obviously taken a look at some point.
Ceedy, you mentioned above that you changed the crank pulley on that unfortunate owners car at a meet. Are they a relatively quick and simple job to tackle, and that its the tensioner that's the awkward job to do.