Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th September 2021, 17:07   #11
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
It could be argued that the reduced congestion and speed is needed so our ruling classes can go past from A to B unimpeded, even if only to Barnard castle to test eyesight, or discuss financial strategy and perform yoga with the attractive associate.
I must have missed the financial strategy and yoga. Were these performed at the same time by the same person or is it two different incidences?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 19:48   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
These reduced speed limits seem to be popping up around the country more & more, The reduced environmental speed limits on a number of 'A' roads & Motorways in Wales is going to be enforced from next Monday 4th October.
I see that the new £336million A465 heads of the valleys dual carriageway is going to get a permanent 50mph too

Watch out if you use these roads as the cameras will be switched on on Monday. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...onday-21685171
Last year they did all that in France.---50 mph everywhere.--They finally realised that was too severe and now some of the roads are back to 60 mph.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 19:56   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I have to say that driving at 55MPH and 70MPH makes a huge difference to a car's MPG and therefore the the total amount of fuel used for a journey and consequently the pollution per mile.

Perhaps the reason we all drive so many miles is that it is so easy to do. Throttling flow could be a very effective way of achieving a meaningful reduction in pollution. If it puts some people off driving to some extent then that would be an added bonus.

Whilst I often like to use the performance of my cars for acceleration etc, I am never in such a hurry to get anywhere that it cannot be achieved at 50MPH.
What they found, over here in France and why they increased some of the 50 speed limits was it took longer for delivery lorries.
Goods took longer to deliver and the prices raised to compensate for the loss of commerce.---

As per normal it's the general public that gets bit on the derrier.---Ouch !!!
Old 29th September 2021, 20:38   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
What they found, over here in France and why they increased some of the 50 speed limits was it took longer for delivery lorries.
Goods took longer to deliver and the prices raised to compensate for the loss of commerce.---

As per normal it's the general public that gets bit on the derrier.---Ouch !!!

Surely, what you say highlights another benefit of speed reductions. Reducing consumption by the masses by making goods less affordable. At the moment, everybody is buying tons of rubbish each year because it is so cheap and throwing it away.

The excesses of the wealthiest 5% should be controlled but will make only a small difference to the consumption of natural resources and pollution. It is the other 95% -we peasants - that will make the biggest difference.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 22:30   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

It's those high numbers of peasants that are producing that rubbish.---Less produce made means less work for these peasants and it follows, lower wages.

This throw away society is here to stay as most of the modern product is cheaply made and not designed to last as it was years ago.

When I was young and when you bought a bicycle you expected it to last for ever. Now a film of rust appears on it as you are pushing out of the show room---

Phones for less than a tenner.--If you drop one in the mud it's now easier to go buy another rather than try to clean the mud off the one you already have.

Profits drive the production of this junk. The greater the turn over the greater the profit.

I believe we are stuck with it.--Faster and faster evolution has a great say in it.--The young want the latest trend and will be satisfied with nothing less. This thinking fuels the throw away society like nothing else can.
Old 5th October 2021, 11:41   #16
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

These are the new 'air pollution' Jenoptik SPECS average speed cameras that will be introduced on the roads of Wales to reduce air pollution. https://airqualitynews.com/2021/10/04/w ... d-cameras/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 15:51   #17
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
It makes me worry who employs these so called experts?

Locally there is a junction that always had queues waiting for the traffic lights to change. A few weeks ago the lights failed and the traffic was flowing better than it has for a long time, people were looking and if nothing was coming they were using there common sense.

This junction used to a roundabout with no queues, it always flowed well and apart from the odd fender bender was never a problem. With the traffic lights and feeder lanes there have been numerous bad accidents and I have even seen a van on it side because it tried to beet the lights and turned too quickly.

There is a good road in the Cotswolds that has always been a 60mph limit, the bit in Oxfordshire has changed to 50mph and that is the straightest part of the 8 miles, the windy bit with several junctions in Gloucestershire is still 60mph.

The traffic lights on the junction of the A12 with the M25 were out on Sunday morning and the traffic flow was far better than it normally is. Here in Suffolk every round about seems to have traffic lights that seem to cause congestion rather than help the flow of traffic. Come the revolution when I am queen .....
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 18:21   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
The traffic lights on the junction of the A12 with the M25 were out on Sunday morning and the traffic flow was far better than it normally is. Here in Suffolk every round about seems to have traffic lights that seem to cause congestion rather than help the flow of traffic. Come the revolution when I am queen .....

Traffic flow might have been better on a Sunday, but believe me it would not be better between 8am and 9am during a weekday!

As for the queen bit, is this a stealthy way of revealing your inner self?

Remember, we are all quite broad minded here, as we are in Suffolk, so no need for stealth.

Last edited by MSS; 5th October 2021 at 18:23..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 19:26   #19
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
That is a real interesting point and while I agree, I ask you to explain.

macafee2
Many of today's drivers will drive their cars badly, staying in a lower gear and using higher revs to do so, they aren't taught to drive the way we were and it's reflected in the standard of driving we see today. It's true that speed humps slow cars down but not vans or lorries, the car slows right down and then has to go through the gears each time to build up speed, this causes much more pollution than a car having attained a designated road speed. We also see many more roads being stopped up or made one way, this all adds to the mess, buses only on roads designed for all traffic to pass through a town or city, they ride around mostly empty after the rush hours, many of them little more than worn out wrecks belching out far more fumes than the cars they replace on the said roads. The whole transport network in the UK is being decimated and for what?
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote